Woodburners - does anybody not love theirs?

(46 Posts)
rubyrubyruby Sat 15-Jun-13 21:48:54

We are getting one and everyone seems to love them.

Are they really that great?

rubyrubyruby Sat 15-Jun-13 22:03:24

Does the lack of response mean everybody does love theirs?

barebranches Sat 15-Jun-13 22:20:17

my parents have one but luckily i have 2 burly teenage brothers to chop wood for them....

steppemum Sat 15-Jun-13 22:21:51

we want one too, so watching with interest

ours is for additional heating/fun, we have GCH as well

Jellykat Sat 15-Jun-13 22:23:01

Love mine!

EeyoreIsh Sat 15-Jun-13 22:26:32

We're thinking of buying one so watching with interest....

MrsJohnDeere Sat 15-Jun-13 22:28:10

We used to have one and now don't. One of the key things in our next house will be having a wood burner or a suitable place to put one. Can't beat them!

Jellykat Sat 15-Jun-13 22:28:50

What do you want to know?

Chanatan Sat 15-Jun-13 22:33:21

Love mine,even enjoy chopping wood for it.

rubyrubyruby Sat 15-Jun-13 22:35:11

I'm not sure what I want to know really!

I'm just looking forward to having one and hope it lives up to my expectations.

Is there anything I should know or be aware of?
They're not 'smoky' are they? DM is convinced the whole house will smell like a bonfire.

Chanatan Sat 15-Jun-13 22:40:12

First night we lit ours,it set off all our hard wired smoke alarms,wondered if we had made a hugely expensive mistake,but it was the newness burning off,no smokiness at all here,just lovely warm heat.

rubyrubyruby Sat 15-Jun-13 22:42:33

smile

NewLifeDownSouth Sat 15-Jun-13 22:49:20

We want one as well when we move at the end of the summer. MIL is also convinced it'll smoke the house out, so watching with interest...

Jellykat Sat 15-Jun-13 22:50:26

Well i've just had my oil fired Stanley range taken out and a woodburner put in (already had one in the sitting room).

Woodburners are cheaper to run imo, and the new one heats a tankfull of water in 30 mins, also have 5 radiators that are heated once the water gets to correct temp.
Never ever had any smoke filling problems.
My other woodburner has a huge walk in slate surround that was here when we moved, i realised the slate was sucking up the heat, so i now have an 'Ecofan' on top of the Woodburner which is amazing at pushing the heat into the room.

Blistory Sat 15-Jun-13 22:52:26

Love mine. Nothing like it on a miserable rainy day. They don't make the house smell and are so easy to control compared to an open fire. Saves me having to run the central heating all the time.

Jellykat Sat 15-Jun-13 22:52:30

Never ever had smoke in the house even in gale force winds..

willowstar Sat 15-Jun-13 22:56:46

Love mine...we live in old house and have little cash. Ran out of oil in January...our wood burner saved us. We have access to free wood...just love our wood burner.

FunnysInLaJardin Sat 15-Jun-13 22:59:51

love ours too. We have had wood burners for the last 15 years and they are miles better than an open fire.

lazydog Sun 16-Jun-13 06:36:24

Couldn't cope without ours. Where we live we get bitterly cold winters and have lots of free wood (dead-standing) so if we actually had to pay for all our heating (we have forced air, too, and I hate it!) we'd be even more penniless than we already are smile

rubyrubyruby Sun 16-Jun-13 09:37:15

Great - so everyone does love them smile

Just need to source a log supplier now so will ask friends locally.

rubyrubyruby Sun 16-Jun-13 09:43:54

Although. As excited as I am, I really hope we have a lovely Indiam Summer and I won't need to use it for ages

specialsubject Sun 16-Jun-13 10:45:40

there's nothing like a real fire, wonderful. Our house did smell a bit smoky to start with but now we've got the hang of it, it doesn't.

also extra potential to warm you up by chopping and carrying the wood, and doing the extra housework engendered - it does produce some dust.

flow4 Sun 16-Jun-13 11:08:18

Their fitting is crucial. Get someone experienced to do it, and make sure your chimney is swept and clear first, of course. Once upon a time I had a big, old wood-burning Raeburn that was poorly fitted (a DIY job by the previous owner) and a bit of a nightmare...

I don't miss the smoke that used to fill the kitchen every time we opened it, but I do miss the cosiness. Personally, I don't think it's possible to sit down by a stove and feel miserable for longer than 5 minutes!

The house I am now trying to buy has two. smile

we get ours fit in two weeks - i am well excited and have had loads of fun already sourcing wood from already fallen branches on our walks smile

AnnaFiveTowns Mon 17-Jun-13 23:09:49

Love mine. The house is miserable when it's not lit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now