What did you compromise on when buying a house and did you regret it?

(80 Posts)
thegraduand Sat 15-Jun-13 18:40:19

Clearly we cannot find the perfect house, but aren't clear in our minds what we should compromise on.

If we but a house in our perfect area it will be a lot smaller than what we want, it too small to fit all our junk things in, so we'd have to have an enormous clear out. We could move a bit further out, get a either a good house with smaller than perfect garden, or a great garden and smaller house, or we can move a lot further out and get the house and garden, but have a longer commute and rubbish traffic.

We are not tidy people and have too much rubbish, to I worry that with too small we would never get tidy.

Do we just hold on for longer and keep looking, but risk prices going up (and they are going up in this area)? We are confused.

thegraduand Wed 19-Jun-13 21:14:35

Well we are going round in circles, price of house one has been reduced, making it more reasonable.

We have also found a project house, DH is really up for it, I'm really nervous

chickabilla Wed 19-Jun-13 11:05:12

We only looked at houses in our chosen location and this one won as it had the nicest location of all thr houses we saw and ticked the essential boxes (4 bed, playroom, cloakroom, reasonable size garden,).

We compromised a bit on style as I prefer period houses and this is 80s but I am enjoying it being much easier to maintain. Two of the bedrooms are smaller than I would like but fine and there is no kitchen diner but we will knock through. Definitely wouldn't compromise on location.

ByTheSea Tue 18-Jun-13 21:34:40

We just moved in two weeks ago from a big old character house in the wrong location. Love the new house and location, it just felt right to all of is. It is much smaller bit intelligently laid out with lots of storage but the main family bathroom is downstairs; I would prefer it upstairs with a downstairs cloakroom. At least we have an en-suite.

wonkylegs Tue 18-Jun-13 18:50:28

We compromised on the large family kitchen & the location. I also didn't get the large utility (there is a small one), pantry & linen cupboard I wanted.
It's still got a large kitchen but it's not quite the layout we were looking for but still fab.
Location is further out than we initially wanted but I think it's actually a better area.
It feels right too.

thegraduand Tue 18-Jun-13 18:46:24

Well it looks like house no 1 is out, appears the vendors are being less than honest about certain things

House no 2, still lovely but might be too far out, one of the reasons for moving to this town was to cut down on commuting, commute would be around 40 mins, could be more as traffic can be bad.

It's just so tough as there is so little on the market, it's not even like we just can't afford things, there isn't much for sale at a higher price either,aarrgghh

invicta Tue 18-Jun-13 17:47:35

House no 2

AngryFeet Tue 18-Jun-13 11:52:17

House 2 no questions asked. How long will your commute be?

Aethelfleda Tue 18-Jun-13 10:48:48

House 2 in every way OP, the thread is unanimous! plus you really need to eat and more space is better than a stuffy loft bedroom. Which do you "feel" is best?

FunnysInLaJardin Mon 17-Jun-13 22:28:51

oh and house 2 OP!

FunnysInLaJardin Mon 17-Jun-13 22:24:51

we compromised on the garden. Much smaller than the acres we wanted, but very glad now that we now have a manageable garden with plenty of areas for all of us. Couldn't have compromised on style though. We had to have an old house, nothing later than 1930 for me. Although I would liked the lower heating bills!

Sinkingfeeling Mon 17-Jun-13 22:21:30

We compromised by buying a house close to a busy road, and needing heaps of work - most of the house is untouched since it was built in 1952, apart from a dodgy 'sun room' extension in the 70s. We gained a detached house with four good-sized bedrooms close to a good primary school, in catchment for a very good secondary school and easily commutable to work/amenities though. Worth the compromise IMO.

The graduand - house 2 definitely!

allagory Mon 17-Jun-13 22:18:19

We compromised on garden sized and house style (semi detached instead of detached). The small garden is fine for the 3 year old. It is a bit frustrating for the 9 year old that he can't play football out there - but he goes next door, to the park and to organised football after school. To be honest, it is dark and rainy most of the year anyway..but I still suffer from garden envy just a little bit...

But surely if you have a huge garden you could buy a huge shed for your rubbish at the beginning and extend later on if you really needed it?

curiousgeorgie Mon 17-Jun-13 22:04:36

We compromised on location the first time we bought and it was the biggest mistake of our lives. It's taught me (years and thousands of pounds lost later) that space, a garden, storage, lack of work needed... Nothing is more important than location.

superlambanana Mon 17-Jun-13 21:51:21

House 2, definitely! How long would your commute be? Mine is an hour - it used to be 15mins but it's well worth it.

thegraduand Mon 17-Jun-13 20:39:14

Well today we have seen 2 we like, but there are compromises

House 1 - absolute top of budget, no money for anything else ever, big house, great condition, off street parking, but on vey busy rd, very nr junction with another busy, no garage, garden ok, not huge. Not sure where visitors would park. 4th bedroom is in loft and stuffy.

house 2 - in a beautiful rural village, about 8-10 miles from city centre. Old house, big 4 double bedrooms, big lovely garden. Good condition, longer commute. Comfortably in budget, would be able to afford to eat

Naebother Mon 17-Jun-13 14:14:49

We compromised on the state of it. We got the size, type and location we wanted but anything " done up" we couldnt afford. i fell in love with it but dh was less keen as it needed tons of work to make it liveable.

Moved in with 2 dc under 3. Lots of building work including rewire and heating.

Madness in retrospect but we are happy here.

primallass Mon 17-Jun-13 12:56:24

Our garden is far too small. But we had sold and had 10 days to move so went for it.

iseenodust Mon 17-Jun-13 10:42:18

We went for location (conservation village) and seriously compromised on size of rooms. The kitchen was tiny but we have knocked through to the dining room and extended the front room. It has been a lovely home for more than 10 years but we are on the move now closer to DS's school and DH's workplace (which is opposite direction to 10 yrs ago).

evelynj Mon 17-Jun-13 00:11:13

I say go with gut too. We found the house that we thought we'd buy then came to see this one just to make sure we wanted the other & felt at home here instantly even though it was smaller-think if you can adjust the space to suit you. Our house has 4 beds but 3 are small, 1 child & No.2 due in 4 weeks so they can have small rooms & as we need a guest room we're converting the playroom into a guest suite.

I'm a hoarder so storage is important but so is outside space for kids. Personally not bothered about drives/garages but some people really are-it's what works for you. Calculate travel time etc. We live in a great house because we moved from Manchester to rural town in Nprthern Ireland to enjoy family life more so I guess we sacrificed location in a big way depending how you look at it.

No regrets, although from the outset I was aware of the maximum I could do to this house, e.g. My eye on converting the garage next as want to be here for 5 years plus!

littlecrystal Sun 16-Jun-13 23:40:01

Actually with my next house which I am now looking to buy I will compromise on commute, being far from amenities (we want to move from south London to a quiet suburb), smaller living space, no utility space (washing machine in the kitchen - brrr), small (claustrophobic) garden. And all this for being in what is considered nicer non-problematic area with good secondary schools.
I am starting to wondering whether it is not too much of compromise!

littlecrystal Sun 16-Jun-13 23:28:08

Did not compromise on anything at the time I bought my house (got everything I wanted - spacious, cul-de-sac, low maintenance garden, big kitchen diner, utility space, park and amenities nearby). However I have not loved it due to the age of the house (lots of problems) and have not thought about secondary schools, which is a big regret.

My next house is going to be in a quiet suburbia next to good secondary schools. Will compromise on convenience and amenities. Will have to drive the train station every day. This is a bugger but hope it will give a better background to my kids. Also people would say I would compromise on character but I cannot wait to live in a 60-70s house.

Aethelfleda Sun 16-Jun-13 17:49:12

We have a great location, compromised on garden and kitchen size (I misses my loverly old huge kitchen-diner, waaah!) and age of property (wanted a period place, house is less than twenty years old. Chipboard ahoy. Sigh.)

However, the garden is becoming "ours" and we will use the space carefully to maximise it. Love the size (it's much bigger than the period properties we couldn't quite afford). And though I initially lusted for a semi-rural village, I know that when they are teens the bus stop is only fifty yards away amd lots of their friends will be a walk/bike ride rather than a car ride away. It was the location and space that swung it for us here, so no regrets about our compromises (so far!)

startlife Sun 16-Jun-13 16:57:43

We choose location so bought a small house that needed loads of work. It's wrong for us. I need space and I love to live clutter free but if you have a largish family (we are a family of 5) they is generally a lot of stuff, no matter how ruthless you are.

A small house can feel stressful if you like to keep it tidy as it becomes a massive effort to keep decluttering. I have no place for bedding, no tall cupboards for brushes, limited place for the washing and no place for our books.

We bought this place because we felt we had no choice..rented place was being sold so it was a panic buy and I overruled my instincts - never would I do that again!

acrabadabra Sun 16-Jun-13 14:49:29

We compromised on the garden. We are on a main road through our small town. Outside space is small enclosed patch of weeds grass out front with zero privacy and a paved area out the back which is about prison cell sized.

But, the weather is not good 90% of the time and we have 4 bedrooms. One of which is a playroom. Huge kitchen. Ensuite master. Plenty of storage. A lot of upgrading required but nothing too offensive atm while the dc's are small. We can grow into this house. And, once we've done the work, it will be worth more than we spent.

No garden also forces us to go out which I would not do if I could just open the door and throw the kids outside.

TheRealFellatio Sun 16-Jun-13 13:54:53

I have compromised on two houses and regretted it both times. The problem was location with both.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now