Got a q for Miriam Gonzalez Durantez? ×

IABU to post here, but want replies... sorry. Wareham in Dorset. Anyone know it?

(20 Posts)
spinnypants Sat 15-Jun-13 14:59:55

We're moving to Dorset around October time and think we like the look of the Wareham area. We'll only be able to visit once probably and that will be to find a house to rent so were hoping you nice folk would have some info about the town/surrounding area.
Is it a nice place to live/with children?
Is Northport a nice area? Seems like more houses come up there to rent with gardens than in wareham itself.
Any other lovely places to consider nearby?

Thank you!

RazzleDazzleEm Sat 15-Jun-13 15:05:11

Cant really help you but I am going away there soon, so been researching places to go, seems to have lots of things going on there and many good places.
Swanage..Brownsea, Lulworth Cove

sarahandemily Sat 15-Jun-13 15:08:24

A good friend lives there with his wife and 2 kids and they are very happy there. I have been to visit and it seems a lovely place. Not much help I know but I'm sure someone more knowledgable will be along soon

mrsjay Sat 15-Jun-13 15:24:09

I love dorset wareham and weymouth are beautiful not much help I know but it is nice down there

pink90 Sat 15-Jun-13 17:48:20

I live in Wareham - very nice to bring children up - surrounding area lovely

FrenchRuby Sat 15-Jun-13 17:57:18

I live in Bournemouth and I think wareham is lovely smile

Sunnymeg Sat 15-Jun-13 18:28:04

We have holidayed in Wareham quite a few times. It's a lovely place and there is so much to do on your doorstep.

Belugagrad Sat 15-Jun-13 18:34:13

Wareham is lovely, lived there for a bit. Enough shops, not too touristy, bit of a gateway so summer traffic can be intense! Lived in corfe and swanage too and they are just too touristy, that extra few miles makes all the difference- enjoy!

envy we holiday in swanage every year and I adore the area.

mummytime Sat 15-Jun-13 18:49:36

Very nice Curry place near the Station, great ice cream. In Summer there are times of day when it can be clogged with traffic, especially sunny days.

Latara Sat 15-Jun-13 19:35:53

Small quite busy town with some good pubs apparently, in a very lovely area with lots to do.

jollygoose Sat 15-Jun-13 20:05:57

We live in Bournemouth (13 miles away) and often visit. Its lovely by the river and beautiful surrounding countryside. I would imagine its a lovely place for children.

notJenkins Sat 15-Jun-13 20:07:20

Wareham is lovely. Do you need to think about schools ?

I live in Poole so not far away.

spinnypants Sat 15-Jun-13 21:34:38

Excellent - all good reviews so far!
Our little one is still tiny so not really thinking too much about schools yet. We'll rent first to get to know different areas.
Pink90 Do you know of any good toddler groups nearby by any chance?

pink90 Sat 15-Jun-13 22:00:08

My youngest was 6 when we came here so I didn't use them but there is one as I see stuff on Facebook for one - Wareham is good - there is a train station - good doctors - small coop and sainsburys - few good independant shops - butchers - farm shop in town - boots - so you can make do - it is a good compromise between not being in a big town or small village.

pink90 Sat 15-Jun-13 22:01:27

Have you got to move for work ?

spinnypants Sat 15-Jun-13 22:14:17

Yes, well OH is changing jobs so we're having a big move. Excited to move now!

topbannana Sun 16-Jun-13 01:45:36

Schools in the area are just changing from a three tier to a two tier system so it's all change wrt schools (I hope Wareham falls in that area!)
If you are entirely flexible about where you move then slightly westwards will get you into the Dorchester schools system that ultimately feeds into the Thomas Hardye school. The school is massively popular, gets great results and has many parents move to get into catchment for it. Your LO is very young to be considering schools yet but competition is fierce smile
Wareham itself is lovely, as PPs have said.

spinnypants Sun 16-Jun-13 12:33:11

Yes, wareham is involved in those school changes, thanks.

CatherineHMumsnet (MNHQ) Sun 16-Jun-13 12:38:26

Hi - we're going to move this into Property in a moment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now