ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

If I was an estate agent...

(14 Posts)
gindrinker Sun 26-May-13 18:11:41

I'm sure they use the thesaurus on word and just pick the longest word.
Just say

Lovely well decorated 3 bedroom house located to Xxx suburb. Within 200m of station.
Bed 1 10m x 5m (also in feet and inches) with fireplace

Lounge diner (measurements) etc

I don't need to know anything else.

PseudoBadger Sun 26-May-13 07:25:56

Ah this reminds me of the £££ house described as "languishing in a private cul de sac" grin

ItsYonliMe Sun 26-May-13 07:22:28

...and if Lynette is picking people up on things - "which profession would you be in " wink

ItsYonliMe Sun 26-May-13 04:58:53

The whole ad looks like it's been written by a teenager " It is also within a third mile of the Station" etc. There is no flow to the description: it's dreadfully written.

Whoever wrote this, really shouldn't be in that job.

GibberTheMonkey Sat 25-May-13 21:42:56

I wonder if the cul de sac is very green? grin

middleagedspread Sat 25-May-13 21:09:55

EAs , please don't describe a property as 'betwixt' anywhere, its so twee. Between is fine.

ogredownstairs Sat 25-May-13 20:16:06

Well, OK. You've got me there. I could argue that 'If I was..' is colloquial and in common usage, especially as I'm posting light-heartedly on mumsnet, not crafting an advert for which I expect to be paid. I just think it's an obvious and surprisingly common mistake that makes both house and agent look a bit silly.

So there. wink (or should it be envy?)

RenterNomad Sat 25-May-13 18:48:40

At least they used "comprises" correctly! That was a real shocker!

Crutchlow35 Sat 25-May-13 18:22:13

I agree with lynette. You do realise us estate agents are people.

BackforGood Sat 25-May-13 17:05:24

Have to admit - that's what I was thinking Lynette grin
I generally don't criticise people's typos or spelling or grammar, but when that's what the thread is about......

LynetteScavo Sat 25-May-13 17:01:37

What profession would you be to learn the difference between "If I was an estate agent..." and "If I were an estate agent....?

ogredownstairs Sat 25-May-13 16:50:09

grin

LastButOneSplash Sat 25-May-13 16:49:16

grin

Sounds like that house has a right chip on its shoulder. Not sure I'd like to get involved by buying it.

ogredownstairs Sat 25-May-13 14:50:34

I'd bother to learn the difference between 'envious' and 'enviable'. I've lost count of the number of times I've seen this error. It's not as if they have a hugely difficult or varied vocabulary to pick up!

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-26982651.html

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now