If I was an estate agent...

(14 Posts)
ogredownstairs Sat 25-May-13 14:50:34

I'd bother to learn the difference between 'envious' and 'enviable'. I've lost count of the number of times I've seen this error. It's not as if they have a hugely difficult or varied vocabulary to pick up!

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-26982651.html

LastButOneSplash Sat 25-May-13 16:49:16

grin

Sounds like that house has a right chip on its shoulder. Not sure I'd like to get involved by buying it.

ogredownstairs Sat 25-May-13 16:50:09

grin

LynetteScavo Sat 25-May-13 17:01:37

What profession would you be to learn the difference between "If I was an estate agent..." and "If I were an estate agent....?

BackforGood Sat 25-May-13 17:05:24

Have to admit - that's what I was thinking Lynette grin
I generally don't criticise people's typos or spelling or grammar, but when that's what the thread is about......

Crutchlow35 Sat 25-May-13 18:22:13

I agree with lynette. You do realise us estate agents are people.

RenterNomad Sat 25-May-13 18:48:40

At least they used "comprises" correctly! That was a real shocker!

ogredownstairs Sat 25-May-13 20:16:06

Well, OK. You've got me there. I could argue that 'If I was..' is colloquial and in common usage, especially as I'm posting light-heartedly on mumsnet, not crafting an advert for which I expect to be paid. I just think it's an obvious and surprisingly common mistake that makes both house and agent look a bit silly.

So there. wink (or should it be envy?)

middleagedspread Sat 25-May-13 21:09:55

EAs , please don't describe a property as 'betwixt' anywhere, its so twee. Between is fine.

GibberTheMonkey Sat 25-May-13 21:42:56

I wonder if the cul de sac is very green? grin

ItsYonliMe Sun 26-May-13 04:58:53

The whole ad looks like it's been written by a teenager " It is also within a third mile of the Station" etc. There is no flow to the description: it's dreadfully written.

Whoever wrote this, really shouldn't be in that job.

ItsYonliMe Sun 26-May-13 07:22:28

...and if Lynette is picking people up on things - "which profession would you be in " wink

PseudoBadger Sun 26-May-13 07:25:56

Ah this reminds me of the £££ house described as "languishing in a private cul de sac" grin

gindrinker Sun 26-May-13 18:11:41

I'm sure they use the thesaurus on word and just pick the longest word.
Just say

Lovely well decorated 3 bedroom house located to Xxx suburb. Within 200m of station.
Bed 1 10m x 5m (also in feet and inches) with fireplace

Lounge diner (measurements) etc

I don't need to know anything else.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now