Is this a reasonable quote for painting

(10 Posts)
DeeBeee Thu 23-May-13 22:23:16

We are about to (hopefully) buy our first house, and have no experience at all in home decoration. The entire place - open plan kitchen/living room, 3 bedrooms and spacious hallway need to be repainted. This includes 4 walls that need the wallpaper stripped first. It's a new build, built 7 years ago so the walls should be in a good condition. I have just been given a quote for 2000 pounds excluding the paint and I am a bit shocked, I thought it would be about half. Should say I am in London. Do you think that's very high or am I really underestimating costs here?

DiscoDonkey Thu 23-May-13 22:25:09

I think you would kicky to get someone to do all that for £1000 tbh especially in London.

DiscoDonkey Thu 23-May-13 22:25:28

Lucky not kicky (stupid phone)

Smiles26 Thu 23-May-13 22:26:36

Try SGH Maintenance, they did ours and they were fantastic and not over priced. I'll find their details for you if you like. Were in Hertfordshire

nohalfmeasures Thu 23-May-13 22:31:24

You could try this to get an idea of cost
www.myjobquote.co.uk/quote.php

myron Fri 24-May-13 10:06:48

Ceilings, architrave, doors, window frames/sills? How long is the job and done by how many people? Day rate for a decorator say £120 - £150 excluding cost of paint.

DeeBeee Sat 25-May-13 11:35:45

Thank you all for your replies. Wow it sounds like painting costs a lot more than I thought, my budget is definitely too small.
nohalfmeasures, that looks like a great website, I will see what sort of quotes come back. Thanks again

TheChaoGoesMu Sat 25-May-13 11:39:48

It sounds like a reasonable price.
Check out this website too.
www.ratedpeople.com

I always say get 3 quotes - then you have a better idea.
As others said this could be reasonable. Are they doing all the woodwork too - the woodwork is a big job - not the walls!
Also about half the time can taken up in preparation not actually applying paint.
You could save by DIY, if you have the time and energy.

yodpet Sat 25-May-13 14:12:34

I don't know how many sq m your house is. I had my house painted in year 2001. My house is 240 sq m. It costed £4,000. There were 2 decorators,worked from 8am to 5.30pm everyday. They moved everything for me including loads the books in the study and put them back. It took 3 and a half weeks. That was 12 years ago. They came from Wales and they lived in my studio. They bought their own food and I have microwave for them to warm up. I think £2,000 is reasonable. You cannot get anything less than £1000. Even you employ eastern European guys, it will cost almost the same as they all know the English rate now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now