AIBU to demand a new bathtub from landlords?

(4 Posts)
QueenofWhispers Thu 23-May-13 21:57:59

Foxtons sad

Sunnyshores Thu 23-May-13 20:55:04

Does the property management company belong to ARLA (association of Residential Letting Agents)? If so you could report them for not doing their duties and providing a lettable property.

The hole in the floor letting animals in is what Environmental Health will be most interested in.

The rusty bathtub makes the bath unuseable, and the toilet seat is not satisfactory, but that doesnt make the house unlettable/unliveable - but lots of these problems would add up.

Dont put up with it, whatever your circumstances you should be living somewhere safe and to a decent standard.

Contact environmental health dep at your local council. I'm sure they'd be interested in the state of the place you're living in.
Councils can enforce that work be done on a property and you can legally withhold rent (with their guidance) until its done.

QueenofWhispers Thu 23-May-13 13:59:22

I live in a certain area (out of necessity--not choice) and I pay quite an expensive rent (again, out of necessity) at what point does my landlord have to provide me with a rust free bathtub? How rusted does it have to be to be considered un-usable?

The bathtub itself is broken and rusted, the toilet seat is broken and the design of the bathroom itself is flawed--so that if anyone does take a shower/bath the entire bathroom becomes flooded and water goes into the hallway.

The second bathroom has a hole in the floor through which wild animals crawl through (mice and squirrels--and once a baby bird)

*The property management company feel like a re-grout will sort out all the problems.

I wouldn't be posting this but the property company know I'm not from the UK and don't really have a choice to live anywhere else. I cannot explain why I can't move--just take my word for it please.

I have been complaining about the bathrooms since the day I moved in (14 months now).

Please help me either re-adjust my expectations or know what I am entitled to.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now