Colour of door handles and carpet threasholds

(11 Posts)
wonkylegs Fri 24-May-13 10:35:34

If you've got gold go gold. The only problem is with time/dating. Gold taps, handles etc tend to polarise taste in a way silver doesn't, if you are intending to stay for a long time that's fine but if you're not it's worth remembering that not everybody will share your taste.

LondonSuperTrooper Fri 24-May-13 10:15:26

Thank you all for your replies!!
I to think that they should all match but haven't found door handles in the soft gold tone that I like.
I'll have a look at the links above once I get home.
Thanks again smile

Personally I'm not keen on gold or brass and would've opted for silver/black/pewter/something else for the light fittings too. However I do think it looks much better if they're all matching. Currently ours do not and it looks strange. As we change flooring/doors this will be rectified!

All matching I say!

Go for brass for both, not silver.

Alwayscheerful Thu 23-May-13 20:14:53
Alwayscheerful Thu 23-May-13 20:14:26
Alwayscheerful Thu 23-May-13 20:13:26

Much as I like the silver carpet bars I do not think you should mix silver and gold, have a look at the Jim Lawrence website, (expensive but you can look for ideas). I think the gold fitments come in 3 golds, bright gold antiqued gold and one other, the very cheap shiny brass handles can look dated try and find a softer gold.

I would stick to one colour if I were you, ie brass/gold.

LondonSuperTrooper Thu 23-May-13 12:34:01

Late 70 / early 80's house. Hinges are silver but has been painted over by previous owner.

Alwayscheerful Thu 23-May-13 11:16:44

what colour are your door hinges and what period is your house?

LondonSuperTrooper Thu 23-May-13 11:15:12

Hi,

We are just finishing off renovating our house and I'm utterly stuck on the following. My house decor will have a lot of gold and I have decided upon beigy and gold chandliers and light fittings. We are having the carpets installed upstairs and we have chosen the gold coloured door thresholds. But does this mean that I have to have gold coloured door handles? I don't think that Ive ever seen gold coloured handles when visiting people etc!

Or should I get the silver coloured door thresholds and have silver door handles? Will that look odd with the gold light fittings & cushions etc?

Any advice or opinions please?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now