Is this offer too cheeky?

(18 Posts)
flow4 Wed 29-May-13 22:45:13

Well done! smile

bettybyebye Wed 29-May-13 22:34:46

Update! They rejected the offer on Friday, bit of to-ing and fro-ing since then (during which I have tried to remain calm and sit tight!) and they have now accepted an offer of £185k smile apparently this is "significantly" lower than they previously accepted, so I guess timing was on our side. Now desperately trying to not get too excited and carried away as I know there's still a long road ahead...

Thanks to all for the comments and reassurance!

Shakey1500 Fri 24-May-13 10:43:03

I agree with sitting tight BUT only if you're sure the EA has passed on the offer. For all you know the vendors may be unaware?

flow4 Fri 24-May-13 08:54:22

Ah, X post!

flow4 Fri 24-May-13 08:53:38

House buying is a waiting game! If/when the vendors make any response at all, you'll know about it. I also think the silence is a good sign: you've offered less than they want, but other factors mean they haven't rejected it out of hand. If I were you, I'd sit tight and not call. If you do, they'll immediately know you're keen enough to respond to pressure! But I know that's easier said than done... grin

georgedawes Fri 24-May-13 08:51:21

Sit tight, you'll look too keen if you call back. Ball is in their court.

bettybyebye Fri 24-May-13 08:30:23

I made the offer on Wednesday morning. Apparently their vendors got annoyed with the delay which is why they've put their property back in the market. Think I'm going to try and sit tight till lunchtime then call the agent to see if there's any news...

RayABlokeIUsedToKnow Thu 23-May-13 21:45:30

Sorry, we offered £40,000 below asking not £45,000 and yes, they were offended but still sold us the house in the end!

Shakey1500 Thu 23-May-13 21:43:25

Ooh strange they didn't mention the offer. I would question whether the EA has actually passed it on. And yes, there may have been a significantly higher offer but that could have been months ago and has no bearing on your offer.

Also, wondering why the property they're buying is back on the market? Plot thickens.

They may be relaxed about things but could equally be putting on a relaxed persona smile

How long since you made the offer? I would speak to the EA again.

RayABlokeIUsedToKnow Thu 23-May-13 21:43:24

Sit tight and wait another day, maybe they are just busy tonight and haven't even had a chance to discuss it. We offered £45,000 below asking price and sat tight. After some negotiation we got the house for £30,000 below asking so it is possible! You have room for negotiation, you have got to play the game!

bettybyebye Thu 23-May-13 21:37:35

Aaahh still had no feedback on the offer, apparently the vendors haven't responded to the EA, i have since been for another viewing and the vendors didn't mention my offer.
What should I do now? Apparently the property they were buying is also back on the market, and they said they were quite relaxed about things.

Should I just wait to hear back from the EA? Ultimately I really liked the house and wouldn't want to lose out on it, but obviously every bit we can save on the purchase helps...

All the ea will say is that they previously agreed a sale at a 'significantly higher figure' but that things can depend on timing!

bettybyebye Wed 22-May-13 20:46:29

Ooh thanks for the responses - glad no one thinks it's too cheeky! Will let you know how it goes...

Shakey1500 Wed 22-May-13 20:45:29

grin

I would have gone up to £180 on mine, truth be told. but I wasn't about to tell the EA or the vendors that. Worth every penny smile

OP, I also think the fact you haven't heard yet is a good sign. Keeping fingers crossed for you.

ItsAllTLAsToMe Wed 22-May-13 20:42:57

Oh Shakey, can you please negotiate for me when I buy my next house grin?

Shakey1500 Wed 22-May-13 20:26:04

Perfectly fine in my opinion. Average is to offer 20% less so you're above that and in a good position. You may offend but <shrug> it's business and you're perfectly entitled to offer an amount you think is reasonable for you. Good luck, let us know if they accept!

Our current house was on the market at £187500, we offered £167000 and settled on £172000. Be prepared for them to say they'll accept £180k smile in which case I'd up it to £175 and say that's as high as you can go. But that's just me!

lalalonglegs Wed 22-May-13 20:24:53

I think after 15 months and two failed sales, they'll just want to get rid. Good luck.

Bowlersarm Wed 22-May-13 20:23:21

No I don't think that's too cheeky. Maybe they are seriously considering it hence the delay?

Good luck.

bettybyebye Wed 22-May-13 20:21:19

The house in question has been on the market for about 15 months, I think it has been sold stc twice in that time. The sale has recently fallen through, and I believe the vendors have progressed quite far on their new property, so are keen to move quickly.

On the basis of the fact that we are not in a chain, and can move quickly, I have offered £170k, asking price is £200k. The EA said they would put it to the vendor, but I've heard nothing back yet and getting nervous (although it's only been a day!). Fully expecting it to be rejected, but just wondered if it is possible to offend a vendor with a cheeky offer?! We are able to go a bit higher, just didn't want to go straight in with our best offer. I've never bought before - it's so nerve wracking!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now