Pictures that are really heaters

(14 Posts)
musickeepsmesane Tue 21-May-13 19:16:51

I was in a fireplace shop today and they had mirrors and pictures on the wall that work as heaters. It is called redwell infrared heating. I wondered if any of you have them in your home? The idea sounds great, is there a but? I also have no idea what they cost as you have to get a quote from a distributor. I would appreciate any extra info, thanks

RunsWithScissors Tue 21-May-13 19:21:38

Not sure, but wonder if they are electric. If so, I'm guessing the running costs might be high. I could easily be wrong though grin

If they are lower to run than I think, I'd be interested in hearing more about them.

musickeepsmesane Tue 21-May-13 19:28:43

That's the thing, I got the sales patter and he was talking about infrared heating as a different type of heating. It is electric. I am quite confused by it. They have a website www.redwell.com and there is a calculator to work out running costs etc. The whole idea intrigues me. They can put your own photos on the heaters and I like the idea of the picture above the fireplace heating the room when the fire is not on. Not to mention freeing up wall space.

musickeepsmesane Tue 21-May-13 19:29:37

*freeing up wall space from radiators I mean.

RunsWithScissors Tue 21-May-13 20:48:59

That's what interests me, getting rid of the radiators :-)

Is infrared the same as what it used in patio heaters?

orangeandemons Tue 21-May-13 20:50:44

But surely if they are 1/2 way up a wall like mirrors or pictures are, then the heat just rises. So what is the point of them 1/2 way up a wall?.

musickeepsmesane Tue 21-May-13 20:57:44

No idea about patio heaters but this claims to be 'innovative', stating infrared is a healthy heat. infrared heating heats walls, ceilings etc not the air itself. Wall retains heat blah returning heat into the room. There is no circulation of air so no dust raised. I wish companies weren't so flowery describing what their products do! What I do know is the ones that were switched on in the showroom gave of a nice amount of heat. I think I may give it a go. The one thing the sales agent did say was not to put them on a wall facing a window. I think this is quite weird. Talked about heat going outside. I explained my room was quite large (the window is quite far from chimney wall) He seemed to think this was still a problem. Would like someone who has them to advise tho'.

musickeepsmesane Tue 21-May-13 21:02:46

yes, heat rises but doesn't radiator heat rise too? Then come back down IYSWIM. Maybe that is me making it too simple? I liked the idea of a long slim one (Like a tall radiator) with a picture or mirror on it.

orangeandemons Tue 21-May-13 21:35:41

But radiators go at the bottom of the room to heat the whole room. What's the point in having heating starting half way up a wall? All the bit underneath would be cold, and that's where you need it.

I remember a classroom a long time ago with a heater 1/2 way up a wall. It was always freezing in there

musickeepsmesane Tue 21-May-13 21:43:27

True orangeandemons. They say it is more to do with the infrared heat. While you are saying there may be a problem with the heat being half way up the wall, I think there may also be a problem with the claim that it heats the wall (as well as ceiling and furnishings) itself - surely you want the heat in the room. You would have to wait a long time to feel the benefit?

pippop1 Wed 22-May-13 12:04:49

The Radiator Gallery in South Woodford, London E18 can make radiators that look like pictures with your own photographs on them. They also do mirrors which are radiators too. You could use a narrow tall shape which means it would be in the right place.

musickeepsmesane Wed 22-May-13 20:27:24

I think the narrow tall shape would be the most efficient too, thanks pippop1 I do fancy one, would have to get the picture right tho and it would be there for a very long time!

PigletJohn Thu 23-May-13 23:41:04

hahaha

Energy from electricity costs about three times as much as energy from gas.

People selling expensive electric heaters depend on being able to make your believe that they are selling a magic product that puts out more energy (heat) than the energy you put in (electricity). Sadly this is impossible; all electric heaters are equally efficient whether they cost £12 from Tesco or £2,000 from the magic Italian Aluminium German Designed Innovative New Invention Patent Heating Company.

If money is of no concern to you then do please buy the heaters that you consider to be the most beautiful.

musickeepsmesane Fri 24-May-13 08:29:49

Piglet we obviously have a different sense of humour confused

You are assuming I can get gas. I am looking for efficient and affordable. Thanks to pippop1 I have now got the name of a company that do picture radiators that will join into my existing system. That is the help I was hoping for.

Also, thank you giving me your permission to buy the radiator I consider the most beautiful. DH would have a wee flaky if I did that. We have an agreement that we buy the least ugly we can afford.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now