carpets

(6 Posts)
DrHolmes Tue 21-May-13 18:20:21

Me and my partner will (hopefully) be moving into a semi-detached bungalow in the next couple of months. My parents are buying it and we will be renting.
I want to buy the carpets and some furniture etc but I don't have much money saved so shooping on budget. We need the living room and 2 bedrooms re-carpeted. All rooms are about 4x4m.
Do you have to pay a lot for good quality carpet or are there good deals out there?
Any reccomendations? We just want a nice creamy/beige, soft carpet.
I am looking on carpet direct and from what I see there are some cheapish ones but I am not sure if they would last.
Any advice welcome!

If you want soft carpet or carpet that your feet sink into then get better underlay and then put cheaper carpet on top, makes all the difference.

Cloud 9 underlay is recommended but see if they will fit it if you buy it from the internet as you can save considerably. In the shop they quote you about £6 m2 but on the internet you can find it between £3-£6 m2 so it does shave off a few hundred pounds.

Have you tried any local carpet shops they might have something nice at a decent price and may be more willing to negotiate.

I have a 3 bedrooms I want to do all double sizes and my quote was £1000 all in (carpet, underlay and fitting), the carpet I like is £15 m2 but I love it so will save up. I think my total coverage is 40m2 thereabouts.

Cannot really recommend a particular carpet as I think it is quite personal what you like

Also fitting carpet isn't really that hard if you have the tools/know how. I can fit carpet (that lasts) as I watched tutorials on YouTube!
Buying the tools can be cheaper than paying a fitter.

DrHolmes Tue 21-May-13 22:00:15

Thanks both of you.

I did think about youtubing videos of fitting a carpet! I alsohave friends which I think are "in the know".

There is a couple of local shops I will go into this weekend and have a look and ask for some quotes.
I did look online andhave ordered some samples and did also have a look at the cloud9 underlay.

Will prob go with medium cost carpet and a goodunderlay.
I think one of the local shops might be reasonably priced though so will try there too.

Thanks

Do you want the same carpet throughout? You can get offcuts of rolls cheap. Carboots also often have rolls for cheap grin

preggersbycheggers Wed 22-May-13 19:43:24

We have recently had a 3 bed house down throughout with exception of kitchen/diner and bathroom with new underlay, carpet and gripper rods etc plus a built in mat at the entrance. It cost around £1400.

The carpet we went for is called Stainaway and is nice and soft. Granted its synthetic but it will hopefully stand up to a bit of abuse from toddlers!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now