Do I need to oil the edges of oak worktops???!

(6 Posts)
WindUpBird Wed 22-May-13 22:41:47

Fossil, it's osmo oil I'm using, I think I read about it on here! It's gone one fine, and the builder has done all the edges for me, so panic over! Osmo has made the worktops very dark though, when I think I preferred them in their raw state! Ah well.

superram Tue 21-May-13 21:37:33

Don't oil before sealing or the sealant won't stick!

fossil971 Tue 21-May-13 19:28:25

What are you oiling with? Have you come across this?
Just checking as there have been many painful threads about oiled oak worktops in the past.

WindUpBird Tue 21-May-13 17:10:52

Hmm, as I suspected! I will have to ask him to lift up the, very heavy, sink so I can do it. Thanks for the reply!

sugarplumfairy Tue 21-May-13 17:07:13

Ideally yes, all cut edges should be sealed, and I would have tried to oil underneath before fitting.

If it is now fitted I would try your best to oil as much as you can. It will be ok, just could have been better. The builder should have done it himself before fitting, or given you time to do it beforehand.

I currently have a new walnut worktop on my kitchen floor, upside down, so I can oil it, will then do other side before fitting. Keep stubbing my toe on it!

WindUpBird Tue 21-May-13 16:55:22

Title says it all....the builder has put in the new oak worktop next to the sink, and I can't access the edge to oil it for the first time. Does that matter? I will oil the rest of it and he will put a silicone sealant on that edge but should it really have been oiled first.

Also, do I need to oil the underneath e of the worktops? I.e. the pits that won't be see that are inside the cupboards?

Thank you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now