How low can we go?!

(53 Posts)
flow4 Mon 20-May-13 09:47:48

Here's an odd one... Went to see a house yesterday... The owner showed us round and was very chatty... He told us they've lost two sales and are now desperate very keen to move... He also said, at least twice, "Don't be afraid to make a very low offer"...

It's very pleasant and I might well be tempted, tho it's in an area I hadn't considered before (but that's a whole other thread!)... It's on at £150k, and my absolute max budget is £140k...

So, if a vendor gives you such clear encouragement to offer low, just how low can/should you go?!

flow4 Tue 28-May-13 14:22:19

Thanks Mis. I've updated on my other thread, so I won't bore everyone with the details again! The doors will be relatively easy to sort... The bigger issue is the foundations, which need inspecting to make sure they won't collapse. Looks like the vendors may be sorting retrospective building reg approval...

mirai Tue 28-May-13 14:41:22

Have you had any news? Are you going to chase or wait to see if your EA calls with good news?

(Gosh this is all like texting after a first date isn't it! grin )

flow4 Tue 28-May-13 17:38:29

Hahaha, it's very like that first date mirai!

I'm not chasing. I've left my £130k offer on the table, and said they need to get building regs sorted/retrospective approval before I even consider increasing my offer.

I'm feeling pretty clear that's the right thing to do, since I discovered household buildings insurance doesn't cover unapproved building work. So basically, if there is a problem with the conservatory foundations - eg subsidence - insurance wouldn't cover it. shock The EA said they have contacted the council's building control and are investigating getting retrospective approval, so I'm waiting to hear.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now