Getting a woodburner squeeeeeeeee - tell me about yours

(43 Posts)

am a tadge excited - we have a flat wall with no chimney so they going to build us a pretend chimney breast to whack it in with a twin flu on the outside. Were getting a multi fuel jobby. I cant even light the bloomin chimnea so this will be some learning curve! Anyway I cant decide what kind of hearth to have or whether to have an oak beam across or to go more minimalist (our house is only 15 yr old so quite modern and in taste) . Tell me about yours.......

Stovefitterjulian Thu 30-May-13 11:55:04

Just realised I missed your comment about the disappointing survey.

The likely reason your installer will not fit a certain size stove into the recess is that manufacturer's request a certain air gap left and right of the stove (often 6"). This air gap is there for two reasons:

1. To ensure that the heat from the stove gets to the room and is not just heating up the inside of the recess.

2. To ensure the recess does not overheat.

There is no building regulation involved here - a stove can go as close to a brick wall as you like as long as there are no combustible materials around (inset stoves almost touch the brickwork). You cannot overheat a brick or stone.

Manufacturer's instructions override Building Regulations but only if it is a safety issue.

As long as your recess is made of non combustible materials then there is no safety issue involved - it is purely about the heat getting to the room (a stove crammed in to a tight recess might be a disappointment).

One way of fitting a stove in a small recess is to choose a stove with a 45 degree rear connector. This means that the flue pipe comes off the rear of the stove (stove can be swept through the stove by the way but it must be a 45 degree connector and not a T connector).

Because the pipe is at the rear of the stove a goof proportion of the stove is "in the room" and half in the recess (a couple of offset elbows in the vertical flue can bring the stove further forward into the room if required).

This is a useful method if the stove wants a 6" air gap and the gap is actually 4" for example. Because a good part of the stove is in the room rather than the recess then there is no issue with the heat not getting to the room. I would happily do this for a customer as long as customer is happy. Of course a part of the rear of the stove is 4" not 6" air gap but we are using common sense here and there is no reason for any concern whatsoever.

The hearth does NOT have be 86cm x 86cm in this case (that is for freestanding stoves where no fireplace recess exists). As long as you have a minimum 22.5cm of hearth in front of the stove doors you are okay (30cm best practice but 22.5cm min building regs).

Charnwood range of stoves (C4,5,6 etc.) all have 45 degree adaptors for this purpose.

Now some stoves only request a 3" air gap. Convector stoves might also be worth looking at. These are twin skinned so the outside of the stop does not get very hot (the heat comes from the glass and air vents in the stove) and therefore a manufacturer might specify a smaller air gap.

Google Julian the Stovefitter if you need to find me for advice...

Stovefitterjulian Thu 30-May-13 10:15:31

Enjoy your new burner. Any questions during your install or afterwards feel free to shout :-)

so i came home with my little stove kettle even though there is no sign of a date for our installation yet and DH has just come in with a bloody electric chainsaw shock.

Beamae Thu 23-May-13 18:28:52

That's encouraging! Thanks Pudden.

Pudden Thu 23-May-13 09:37:12

beamae our cavity wasn't very wide either but our fitter took out some lines of bricks to widen it. We supplied the fire and he did everything else, got chimney swept, supplied hearth, oak beam, steel liner, cowl ,did all works , plastering etc etc and his bill came to around £1100

we debated one freestanding either way we were told wall sticking out Ness the hearth it stands on would need to be 800 x 800 mm so get your measuring stick out grin

Beamae Wed 22-May-13 21:17:27

Well I did wonder about that, but our lounge is quite narrow. So we think it would be too intrusive. Also looking to get in quotes from builders to widen the cavity and chimney breast. Might be quite an expensive venture!

Selks Wed 22-May-13 21:06:09

Beamae, would you have enough room to have a freestanding stove in front of the fireplace like this (ignore the dodgy decor)?

Beamae Wed 22-May-13 20:42:20

We had a very disappointing survey today having picked a lovely free standing wood burner on Saturday. They took out the hideous gas fire we inherited from the previous owners and our fireplace cavity is only 24 inches wide. So we either have to get a hobbit sized burner or we have to go with a capsule burner which just doesn't have the same impact at all. It will kind of look like a flat screen telly mounted on the wall showing a DVD of a fire burning. Very sad faces in our house today. Boo.

EleanorFarjeon Wed 22-May-13 20:31:11

We have this one which is multi fuel.

It is in a massive inglenook (on slate) in a drafty and very old house. It is so efficient, though. My dh wears shorts in the depths of winter as it belts out so much heat.

We have a cordless thermostat, as upstairs would be freezing and downstairs boiling!

We are getting it in black on a low stand, the white one they do is actually almod and although looks lovely i was worried hw it would age and how dirty it would get so were going traditional black. My fitter has made contact and is coming out in next few days with my slate samples for the hearth.

SignoraStronza Wed 22-May-13 19:28:09

Don't get a big one and don't buy an unbranded (cheap, Chinese scrap iron import) but pretty looking thing off the Internet. We inherited a massive behemoth of a stove to heat an average sized living room. It isn't very economical, which is fine at the mo as we have a free, plentiful supply of wood for the next few years. It also belts out an immense amount of heat.

Also, the previous owners didn't think much of building regs and the pipe is far too close to a big, wooden decorative beam. We'll have to take it out at some point, as if the thing catches fire it'll probably invalidate the insurance - we have to make sure the fire is well out before leaving the house or going to bed.

Despite all this, I love our stove. wink

Selks Wed 22-May-13 19:26:55

Oh I like that Charnwood stove OP; are you having it in the white or the black?

Winceywoo Wed 22-May-13 19:15:53

Our chimney sweep told us not to burn logs from pine trees as they release a lot of tar and it sticks to the chimney which can cause a chimney fire. He recommended buying a 'chimney log' from amazon which you burn for an hour or so a couple of weeks before it's swept and it really helps dislodge all the soot and tar in the chimney. They cost about £16 and seem to work. Also he said best to sweep around this time of year, after the last fire of spring and before autumn so the soot and tar doesn't stick to the inside of the chimney over the summer (if we get one).

Pudden Wed 22-May-13 18:58:18

it won't mark it as long as you don't drag it across the top but stove soon loses its pristine appearance anyway- all normal-

Le Creuset kettles have a rather timid whistle ( I speak from experience) so keep your ears primed to hear it. Our kettle sounds like a factory siren " whheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" and I talk back at it when it kicks off, rather like to a fractious child!

bloody phone not quote i mean stove blush

funny enough today someone was selling a le creuset kettle at work today for fifteen pound, i couldn't believe my fortune grin mind our quote is only small so probably won't fit on but its nice all the same. would it mark the stove or do you pop it on a stand? also wood wise dh just took up on a nature walk down the river and we managed to fill our boot with some drift wood and fallen tree bits - i can see this is going to take over our lives grin grin grin

Pudden Wed 22-May-13 09:35:43

selks make sure you bung some photos on here when it's done- sounds lovely

Pudden Wed 22-May-13 09:31:18

Charnwood extremly well built and efficient fires

Pudden Wed 22-May-13 09:29:54

noyouhavehadawee we do our spuds in an lidded enamelled cast iron shallow dish (like Le Creuset) and they cook in about an hour or so. Smell lovely and fab crispy skins. Kettle takes about ten mins. I also do welsh cakes and dropped scones on a small skillet on top and also poached eggs. It's also very good for things that take a long time to cook i.e casseroles as you can put the pot of a trivet to diffuse the heat.

Your potting shed prob not the best place for wood; it needs to be slatted or open sided to allow ventilation but with a roof covering to keep off the worst of the rain. If it is closed up then you will find that moulds and funghi will start to grow esp if wood not fully seasoned

Again make friends with tree surgeons; earlier this year we got three transit vans full of cherry , ash and sycamore for fifty quid. Chap didn't want any money for it but we saw it as an investment grin

echt Wed 22-May-13 08:45:27

Ooh, we're having one put in in a few weeks, and very excited. The open fireplace is there already, as is a woodstore next to it - open fireplaces are very common in Australian houses, even those built in the 80s, as our was.

We're lucky in that we have a large garage to store and dry wood, and a good supply of fuel, as people can hardly wait to cut down trees in their gardens. Feckers.

dufflefluffle Tue 21-May-13 22:21:04

Stoves are very easy to light (proof: I can light one!) and they are just brilliant so good luck: enjoy it!
We use wood and briquettes and can use very little for lots and lots of heat.

Oooo nice Selks - ours is going to be a charnwood c5, i was hoping it would be fit before it got summery but our fitter seems to be a bit lack in returning our calls, he clearly doesnt realise how impatient i am! grin

Selks Tue 21-May-13 21:23:14

I'm getting a wood stove fitted soon - I can't wait! I'm renovating the whole downstairs of the house including new kitchen but the thing I'm looking forward to most is my lovely new stove grin.
My fireplace is the original stone fireplace which would have had a range in it. It has a chunky wooden mantelshelf too, and I have just ripped out the hideous imitation stone hearth stones and have replaced them with huge old stone slabs.
The stove I have chosen is the Broselely serrano 5 multifuel stove.
Need to get a wood store for outside, too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now