Would you buy in Barking?

(78 Posts)
AuraofDora Thu 16-May-13 19:45:06

Got offer on a great house just need to canvas some opinion on the area is it okay or would you not go there ?
It wasn't our first choice of area looking at forest gate east ham but can't get much bigger than we have here e17
Please help me decide...

Lovecat Sun 19-May-13 12:54:22

I don't think they have defined catchments as such, but it's measured on an 'as the crow flies' line from your house to the head teacher's office, so I suppose the nearer the better with only 270 places available. Map & ruler time... although if you're across the road from it you should be sorted! smile

Apparently they're building a new secondary, but whether that'll be up and running in time for you I don't know. Redbridge are massively expanding one of their 'good' schools but are doing it by building all over their lovely playing fields sad We're not sure what we're going to do re. secondary, DD is in private primary but we know we can't afford that for higher ed, so although we're in catchment for a good girls Catholic state school and we are nominally Catholic (baptised etc. but am totally disaffected with the church atm), I'm not sure she'd get in as she has shown no interest in taking her first communion and I'm not pushing it. But that's enough of my moaning!

Good luck smile

AuraofDora Mon 20-May-13 13:32:57

Lovecat, that is not a moan! Such a shame they can only do this by destroying the playing fields, it's so important to have some lungs here and there.
Am glad you have some options for your DD, do you have to decide soon? She might have a conversion if her best mate says she is off to the Catholic school.. It's tough all this stressing over something. I can feel it transfer to DS and that's not good.

DH likes the the idea of the Essex grammar schools, we hadn't realised that but I would perfer him to go to a local mixed school, he's the sensitive sort and gets on better with girls generally and don't fancy him travelling so much every day, though he is growing up, I saw him wince as I kissed him on his bike the other day

shellyf Sun 16-Jun-13 19:37:10

Did you buy the house?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now