Polypropolene Carpets

(25 Posts)
Theonlyoneiknow Fri 10-May-13 20:49:29

I stupidly bought carpets for our new house without doing any research (don't ask, I normally research everything but with one thing and another I didn't with this huge purchase). So all the bedrooms, hall and lounge have just been fitted with a polypropolene carpet (cormar sensation). I purely went on how it felt (lovely) and the colour (lovely!)

I randomly came across an article which has freaked me out! I had no idea it was so flammable and am now panicking about a house fire, I also had no idea about all the chemicals and worried I will be poisoning my two babies who have this carpet in their bedrooms.

Am I over reacting! I can't do anything about it now as £2k of carpet has been fitted (we are due to move in this week). Should I be airing house as much as possible and hoovering it? Should I steam clean it?

I am kicking myself for not looking at the pros and cons for such a big thing. I just went into the shop, felt a few and that was it. What an idiot!

Anyone else have polypropolene carpets and happy with them, I need some reassurance I haven't totally ballsed up here :-(

SquinkiesRule Fri 10-May-13 21:18:45

Thats what the builder has installed in our house when we bought it. We've never had any problems with it. Raised all the kids on it, no one has been poisoned or anything else.
Much as I would love nice wool carpets there is no way we could ever afford to do that. Ours have just been replaced ready to sell the house and are now luxurious, nice, soft, thick and squishy to walk on.

Theonlyoneiknow Fri 10-May-13 23:33:48

I never even realised there was a difference until earlier on. It's a Cormar carpet which is quite a reputable brand ?

It is lovely carpet though, very soft underfoot.

Think I will need to keep hoovering it as the pile is quite long. Worried about the flammability of it most?

SquinkiesRule Fri 10-May-13 23:41:15

I never thought about flammability really, I mean the couches would kill us if there was a fire, those things are full of foam.

ItsAllTLAsToMe Sat 11-May-13 08:09:16

Squinkies, I believe that sofas now have to pass much stricter rules with regard to flammability. So every sofa made after a certain year is much safer than sofas made before that year (*I'm not sure of the actual year, 199something?).

EffieTheDuck Sat 11-May-13 08:13:31

Some plants are effective at cleaning the air.

Karbea Sat 11-May-13 11:58:08

I'm sure it's fine, just maybe be a bit more careful,witH candles? Can you spray it with anything.

I never understand why people wash their kids clothes with fabric conditioner as it makes them flammable, you'd think these things would be more well known.

PigletJohn Sat 11-May-13 12:07:19

it is durable and very easy to clean.

IMO if your house is on fire, the carpet will not be your biggest problem.

Theonlyoneiknow Sat 11-May-13 12:42:08

Thanks all, I have realised I am over reacting a tad! Reputable carpet companies wouldn't sell it if it was dangerous ?!!!!

We have à week inbetween the carpets going down.and us moving in so hopefully plenty of time to air it.

SquinkiesRule Sat 11-May-13 20:01:33

I shouldn't smell after a week.
Ours went down and I thought I'd smell new carpet for ages, but less than a week later and coming in the house when it's been closed up and there is no smell at all.

Shattereddreams Sun 12-May-13 08:13:27

On the plus side it won't get eaten by moths.
On the bad side, if you drop iron/ hair straighteners/ harmirdryer on it, it will melt.
Cormar are v good. Enjoy your new home flowers

Theonlyoneiknow Sun 12-May-13 10:13:04

Thanks peeps, I went round yesterday and the lounge carpet was down. It did feel scrumptious underfoot. I can't change my decision now so need to enjoy what I have done!!

lisajm82 Mon 28-Apr-14 19:54:35

Hi there,
I'm just reading your post and noticed you had bought the cormar range. I your carpet ok?
Are you happy with the carpet?

We are thinking of getting the carpet and would like to know how the carpet is a year after it has been laid?

Many thanks

Phnormal Fri 20-Jun-14 19:03:40

Hi I'm considering the sensation heathers any good?? Anyone??

PigletJohn Fri 20-Jun-14 20:34:57

I had a heather twist. The mottled heather finish means it does not show marks or traffic lanes so much, and the twist helps keep the pile erect and makes it hard wearing. A plain colour might look more shabby in time.

I don't remember the brand. I got it from a local independent that was recommended to me, better prices and service than from the big chains.

Phnormal Fri 20-Jun-14 20:51:13

Thanks for your reply. Was it by cormar?? Is it wearing well? Mine will be going on the stairs and worried about it ff flattening!!

PigletJohn Fri 20-Jun-14 21:11:29

sold the house soon after getting it. It was half the price of the 80/20 I used in other rooms but looked fine. A short, tight, twist pile will flatten least, and the sample should feel heavy.

FlyLikeABird Sat 21-Jun-14 15:21:19

I had Cormar Sensation in Taupe fitted a couple of months ago. Absolutely gorgeous underfoot, very plump. No shedding (well just from a tiny bit from a door which could do with planing) and only a few tufts have come out, mostly around the cut areas.

It is a solid colour so shows foot marks but this doesn't bother me. I hoover 1-2 time a week and it looks immaculate afterwards.

I chose it because of the ease of cleaning as I wanted carpet but have children (and don't always remember to take my shoes of when I've run back into the house after forgetting something). I didn't want to feel too precious about it.

Simone77 Fri 05-Sep-14 15:50:59

I'm thinking of buying this carpet in Light Taupe but wondered whether the long pile would look odd on stairs, especially on the edges I.e does it separate and look gappy? Also what was the best price per Sq metre anyone found it for?

TheStorySoFar Mon 08-Sep-14 09:57:42

Following as am waiting on my Cormar samples. V informative & interesting thread (can you tell how exciting my life is???).

Plockplock Mon 08-Sep-14 12:25:05

We have recently had this Manx carpet fitted in "Super" ivory:

www.manxcarpets.co.uk/product/luxury-heathers/

I would never have considered polypropolene carpet pre-DC, but our previous wool carpet suffered from being vomited on and other child related spillages and so having a carpet that can be cleaned with bleach was very appealing! It doesn't feel too different from a wool carpet underfoot, doesn't have the prolonged period of shedding fibres and vacuums really well. There was a strong chemical smell for the initial couple of months with has now gone.

Tadla Tue 09-Sep-14 11:14:32

I have just put a polyprop in out dc room 2 months ago. i choose it as i felt it would easier to clean than wool. i chose one recycled made from old bottles. it a nice cool taupe. not beige -y.

i think some wool carpets are treated with chemicals as well.

agree, so much is flammable - its jungle out there!

def go to an independent, carpet right quoted £100 more for the same spec carpet before i started look at the recycled ones.

MarkaB8 Thu 05-Mar-15 16:02:18

After shopping around and doing our research, we fell in love with Cormars Sensation carpet range.. The colours are spot on, and the textures feel amazing. Soft enough for our child to play on the floor, especially with the underlay we bought.
We saved a fortune as well, we used Carpets And More (www.carpetsandmore.co.uk) - they were extremely helpful, delivered on time and saved us money. I'd recommend them to anyone.
I've also been told Associated Weavers carpets are good too.

Kate391 Fri 29-Jan-16 22:07:59

Help, I've just had the Cormar sensation fitted (Atlantic seal), and really struggling to get my head round the footprints and shading , does this get any better???

eurochick Fri 29-Jan-16 22:47:56

We have Sensation in three rooms and the shading will continue. It's normal (I used to work in the industry ). If you want to minimise it, buy the best quality (tufts per sq m) wool twist with the shortest pile you can find. Or a loop pile. Something like Sensation is always going to shade.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now