Plumbing advise on new shower

(7 Posts)
musu Sat 04-May-13 14:29:27

The full flow = less hot thing is the norm with combi boilers. You can get megaflow tank that helps with this if you have room for it. Apparently that also helps with overcoming the problem of running more than one shower/bath at the same time.

GingerPCatt Sat 04-May-13 11:26:48

The pressure in the bath and taps is fine. It dips a bit as the water heats up, but levels out after that. I am also a bit concerned since with the bath tap on full flow the hot water isn't very hot. If you decrease the flow it gets hotter. I don't know if this will be a problem with the shower. We have a handheld shower attachment for the bath and it gets hot enough and has good pressure. Thanks for the help. I just don't want to spend loads of ££ and have a shower that's not much of an improvement.

musu Sat 04-May-13 09:49:42

Does your boiler maintain pressure or do you find it dips? What is the pressure from your taps like? I have a combi and two showers that run off the mains and the pressure is fine. You can't add a pump to the supply coming off the mains (something to do with combis not having a water tank).

kittycat68 Sat 04-May-13 09:33:34

agree here. if you have low pressure on taps you are going to need a booster pumup. if not the low pressure could just be that the existing shower is scaled up. you should need new pipes unless its moving location!

nocake Sat 04-May-13 09:02:34

There could be 2 reasons why an electric shower has a poor flow. It could be low water pressure or not enough heating power (low Kw heater in the shower or worn out/scaled up element). TBH I doubt it's a problem with the pressure as you'd have the same problem with other cold taps in the bathroom.

Having said that, I've always preferred showers that run from the hot water system. Ours runs from a combi and gives a really good flow.

ElectricSheep Fri 03-May-13 22:49:25

Think you can get a booster pump to use with a combi if you want, like this

If staying with separate electric shower then I think the water pressure determines the power of the shower anyway so not sure more watts really makes much difference.

GingerPCatt Fri 03-May-13 14:38:13

We're re-doing the bathroom and want to put in a new shower. The one we currently have is electric and the pressure is really weak. We have a combi boiler so a power shower is out. We've had two different plumber out for quotes and their advise has been very different. One says we can put in a regular shower. He'll have to run new pipes but the pressure and temp should be good. The other says we should put in a higher watt shower. It's currently 9 vt (I think). I don't know anything about plumbing. Which would be the better option? I want a hot shower with good pressure. Thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now