Corgi man didn't register our boiler

(19 Posts)
Elizabeth22 Thu 02-May-13 16:26:27

We had a new central heating system and boiler put in in 2007. Our plumber did the work but because he wasn't Corgi registered got someone who was to do the boiler part. We didn't get any certificates but we were reassured at the time this was because the paperwork was all sent to the council. Fast forward to now and we are selling the house. Our purchaser's solicitors are now of course asking for the paperwork. We spoke to the corgi guy (and he appears to be registered looking at his details online) and he was thoroughly unpleasant. Saying he didn't bother as it is unnecessary and just a way for solicitors to make money. He also said he couldn't do a certificate retrospectively. So what do we do now? The boiler has been serviced every year by BG and passed but no installation documentation. I feel like we've been taken for a ride and not really sure what to do next. I could cry right now

Contact another gas safe person and see what they say

Planetofthedrapes Thu 02-May-13 16:41:06

Contact the Gas Safety Register, who have replaced the Corgi Register, and ask for their advice. Tell them his name and registration number.

runforthehills65 Thu 02-May-13 16:42:44

I had the same problem. Boiler installed in 2006, registered with Worcester Bosch but not with Corgi so no compliance certificate. I have just exchanged on my house and the only way to make sure this happened quickly was to buy an indemnity insurance for the boiler. It cost about £80. I tried to chase the qualified gas man but he never returned any calls.

Even more annoying, my buyers are extending the kitchen so will rip out the boiler!

specialsubject Thu 02-May-13 17:47:03

report him to Gas Safe. Get another Gas Safe person to certify the boiler. Job done. (British Gas are always keen to stick an 'unsafe' label up so if you didn't get one, your boiler is fine)

ILikeBirds Thu 02-May-13 18:03:57

I was in this position as a purchaser rather than the vendor.

I personally was happy to accept a current gas safety check instead of the installation registration. In the end it was registered with GasSafe before purchase (technically this should be done within 30 days of installation, however in our case it was registered a year later).

GasSafe were not interested at all in works being carried out under their registration scheme without being logged.

HeatingMum Fri 03-May-13 09:16:38

Oh dear....

All these guys have to be registered with the gas safe register. Report him to them, their record stays with them even if they move company. They can be struck off for poor installations or bad practice. Then get another gas safe register heating engineer to come out and give the system the once over.

Elizabeth22 Fri 03-May-13 13:11:58

Thanks for all your replies - all very helpful. It's good to hear stories from both sides of the house buying process. I'm so angry with the man as we chased and chased him at the time. I hope it doesn't affect our sale.

When you talk about it being registered with Corgi or Gas Safe what you are actually getting is a certificate to show the installation was done correctly complies with current building regs.
To get this done at a later date by a different engineer could cost £££ hundreds.
The engineer needs to check everything as if he were installing it - and really you will find it difficult to find someone willing to do it.

If the buyer is happy the getting a Gas Safety Inspection Report from a GSR engineer will be a lot cheaper and easier - the person who normally services your boiler is the obvious first choice.

The other issue though, is surely you had an agreement with this person that he would install your boiler and register it (that registration would have taken him 10 minutes and cost him £2.50).
As you are still in touch with him I think you could take legal action against him. All boilers should be registered and his negligence could have big and costly implications for you.

AliceWChild Sat 04-May-13 08:42:53

Is this a new thing? I've just bought a house and we didn't get any such certificate but boiler is from 80s. But we also don't have one for old house, boiler about 8 years old.

Yes registering new boiler installation is compulsory part of building regulations since April,,,,, I can't remember 2005 or 2006? I thin it was 2006

Go needs to register it ? And who with ?

We've just had a new boiler installed and I don't know anything about this

specialsubject Sun 05-May-13 13:10:30

it is illegal for unqualified people to connect equipment to the gas main for obvious (ka-boom!) reasons.

Kormachameleon - contact your installer and confirm that they are registered with GasSafe (the replacement for the CORGI scheme). You need the registration certificate.

apart from the risk, you invalidate your house insurance without it.

groovejet Sun 05-May-13 15:46:01

We had this, at the time the boiler was installed the change over from corgi to gas safe was just starting to kick in so think they was some confusion going on.

Now in the process of selling our house, we contacted the original plumber who has had to recommission the boiler to be able to notify gas safe so we can get a certificate. We were advised that a recommission was the only way to get the formal certificate.

I have a gas safety certificate - is that te same thing ?

AliceWChild Mon 06-May-13 08:34:25

Doesn't sound like it to me korma.

Mine's older so must be before this. Thanks for the info

groovejet Wed 08-May-13 10:18:02

Korma - it is a certificate that is titled Building Regulations Compliance, it confirms that the boiler was installed by a Gas Safe registered person.

If you haven't had it call up your installer.

PigletJohn Wed 08-May-13 11:18:52

If it was not registered, that was probably because the person who installed it was not gas-safe, or may only have been authorised to do work on behalf of his employers. Companies usually take a dim view of their employees setting up in competition in their free time, and if they found out one had registered a private job, would probably sack him.

If your boiler was not installed by a gas-safe person, nobody else can issue an installation certificate, unless they take it off and reinstall it.

However, if you have a safety check on it, and get a landlord's certificate or equivalent, you can tell potential buyers that you have this, and they will probably not grumble much. It is more than they would get with an old boiler.

Similarly, Electrical Installations have to be signed by the designer, the installer and the tester; so no-one else can "sign them off" unless you have applied (and paid for) Building Control inspecton before starting work.

Sophia3298 Mon 20-Jan-14 16:01:01

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now