what would be your budget for..

(12 Posts)

We're doing a lot ourselves and if you bargain hunt, shop around you can get some amazing deals.

throckenholt Fri 03-May-13 08:28:50

I think the best thing to do is find the type of carpet/tiles/bathroom whatever you want to consider. Then cost up the price with just those for the relevant sizes. That will give you a figure without any labour or extra bits for actually fitting them in.

If that figure on it's own is easily manageable then you should be ok. If not, then likely you will either not be able to afford it, or only afford it with the very cheapest materials (which probably won't stand the test of time very well).

okay - a bit optimistic. thanks for itemising Alice. we don't want the cheapest but not fancy pants either. some nice middle ground.

AliceWChild Thu 02-May-13 22:06:38

And carpet, I know we can do living room, bedroom and kitchen flooring for about £500. That's cheapest of cheap though.

AliceWChild Thu 02-May-13 22:05:28

From memory our bathroom is budgeted at 100 bath, 100 loo, 100 sink, 200 shower, 100 shower screen, 200 tiles, 250 floor (small but expensive flooring). So that leaves just shy of a grand for taps and labour, and random bits like grout. So the amount of labour seems key to me. We're planning on getting pretty plain stuff from wickes

lalalonglegs Thu 02-May-13 21:39:51

I think that is low even doing it yourself, especially for the bathroom (I'm assuming that you will have to have the carpets professionally fitted and the bathroom will need retiling).

AliceWChild Thu 02-May-13 20:36:05

I'd say so if you're frugal. But yes only if minimal labour in the bathroom

thanks jazz!

Without much labour that sounds do able.

throckenholt Thu 02-May-13 14:59:59

Totally depends on the quality of the materials and if you are going to do any of it yourself or pay for labour/fitting. And obviously the size of the rooms.

Try costing it up with rough room sizes.

anyone?

painting and carpeting rooms (occasional wallpaper wall)
replacing a bathroom suite inc showerin a small bathroom (no moving appliances)
and for the hell of it installing a large kitchen

we are hoping to do the first two at relatively low cost ourselves and go more out on the kitchen once extension is done.

up to 500 per room (ideally 200) and a couple of grand on the bathroom is what I'm thinking - is this at all realistic?

thanks!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now