Ikea Pax - any wriggle room

(19 Posts)
BadRoly Fri 03-May-13 18:39:41

We built a 150wide x 230(?)tall Oax for ds1's room last week - loving the sliding doors and the amount of storage!

Now what would you experienced Ikea wardrobe shoppers suggest for an 85cm wide gap (not inc skirting boards).

Very high ceiling again and next to a mid sleeper bed. Has to be all the clothes storage (drawers and hanger) due to size of the room. It's for an almost 4yo ds...

Talkinpeace Fri 03-May-13 18:24:05

breatheslowly
flowersflowersflowersflowersflowersflowersflowersflowersflowers
you have just saved me DAYS of aggro planning DDS room.

littlecrystal Fri 03-May-13 11:40:42

I love IKEA and their PAX wardrobes, and especially the fact that 150cm PAX gives you a sliding door option, however in your case I would probably go for made-to-measure fitted wardrobes (especially with your high ceiling – wow!) and hack up inside the wardrobe with IKEA supplements.

ADefiniteMaybe Fri 03-May-13 11:28:34

Back again with another quick question. I am going to buy the Hemnes double wardrobe - has anyone tried putting any of the Komplement (or any other) range of interior fittings in it?

Potterer Wed 01-May-13 20:54:11

The beauty of the Pax wardrobe is the sheer variety of internal fittings, I should know I have 6 doubles and 9 singles shock dotted all over the house!

You would possibly need to add height, so you could get the tallest Pax and then put some pretty storage boxes on top.

Are you looking at getting two doubles? I find the doubles quite restrictive for clothes. Both my sons have singles, you can fit 8 of those plastic drawers in a single 201cm tall Pax (don't forget to pay attention to the hinges as they restrict where you can position stuff)

Dh and I have one single each and a shared double. So we have a hanging rail in the double, plus another hanging rail in one of the singles with those plastic drawers underneath. They are fantastic as you can over-fill them and they pull all the way out meaning you can access the back easily.

What I mean is once the hanging rail is in, what will you put underneath?

If you went for singles you could sandwich the billy in between so you wouldn't notice the depth difference. Or have the billy directly next to the fireplace on either side. I do love symmetry.

There are lots of ideas here [http://www.ikeahackers.net/].

ADefiniteMaybe Wed 01-May-13 19:29:54

Yes ouryve - we're thinking of these. It will leave 15cm either side which will be fine and my DH is going to make some more shelves to put inside them.

ouryve Wed 01-May-13 19:02:24

How about one of the free standing wardrobes - a few of those are 120cm wide, which would leave a small gap at the side, but that would be easy to fill visually with something useful like stacking hat boxes.

ADefiniteMaybe Wed 01-May-13 18:54:34

sad Guess you're confirming what I expected. We really have no room to play with. We have incredibly high ceilings, possibly 290 cms, and I'm a bit worried about the dimensions of the 100 Pax in a space that is 148cms wide by 290 high???????

soaccidentprone Wed 01-May-13 18:53:08

You need to take off the size of the skirting board, so if they are 1.5 cm, the widest you will be able to fit in is 146cm.

Unless you remove the skirting board.

ouryve Wed 01-May-13 18:50:00

No - they are exact, and in my experience, you often need an extra couple of cm to be able to get them in there.

deepfriedsage Wed 01-May-13 18:48:46

Hack off the 1cm of plaster, it will be hidden by the wardrobe.

ISeeSmallPeople Wed 01-May-13 18:48:44

I can't send a photo as I don't live there anymore. It did look good though smile

ADefiniteMaybe Wed 01-May-13 18:46:16

Yes - it's 149 to the wall, not the skirting board, and, yes, we've measured at several points but it's still 149.

ADefiniteMaybe Wed 01-May-13 18:44:38

ISeeSmall - that's a great idea. I couldn't be really cheeky and ask you to pm me a photo, could I? smile Think I need to sell it to my husband!!

Autumn12 Wed 01-May-13 18:38:50

Can you remove the skirting board to make it fit?

ISeeSmallPeople Wed 01-May-13 18:27:34

Have you measured the recesses at several points. They are usually not straight smile

Even so 2cm will be a problem. None of the internal bits will fit properly if you trim it.

We had a similar issue either side of a wonky chimney breast, & very thick skirting boards. We put in a 100cm pax either side, and a matching 40cm wide Billy book case nearest to the fireplace.

ADefiniteMaybe Wed 01-May-13 18:19:00

Hi, we have recesses either side of our chimney breast and, annoyingly they are only 148/149 cms wide. Really want an Ikea Pax as they are well reviewed, well priced and take huge amounts of clothes. Does anyone have any experience - could I "trim" or "squeeze" the 150 Pax into these spaces or is the 1 cm going to scupper me? sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now