Nice areas of Aylesbury - toddler and a baby

(14 Posts)
mimmymouse Thu 18-Apr-13 12:33:22

Hello! We're on the move..... we love our current area but we can't afford to stay in our lovely market town and get the house we need. So looking in a ten mile radius, Aylesbury comes up and it is readily (for us) affordable.

What are the nice bits? And where should we avoid? Be as specific as you like!

Thank you

Wheresmycaffeinedrip Thu 18-Apr-13 12:42:19

I personally think the words Aylesbury and nice do not belong in the same sentence!!! Some areas are cheap but those are areas that are not near a good school. Would somewhere just outside if Aylesbury such as stone or Bierton be any use to you. Watermead is a slightly nicer area but expensive I think. Fairfield lets also but school there is majorly over subscribed. There are some nice parks but I wouldn't rate the pool particularly and our cinema is very expensive. There's very little to do I find.

Wheresmycaffeinedrip Thu 18-Apr-13 12:43:03

Fairford leys rather

mimmymouse Thu 18-Apr-13 13:31:21

Thanks! I totally agree with your opening sentence about 'nice' and 'Aylesbury' in the same sentence. DH broadly agrees but feels we need to look more closely before dismissing.... We've looked at Stone before. Bierton and Watermead we don't know, so thanks for that tip. I'd heard Fairford Leys was okay - and we are seeing a few houses in that area.

I appreciate your honesty! Thanks.

Wheresmycaffeinedrip Thu 18-Apr-13 13:45:24

On plus side there is a fairly good bus service and train service. Wendover and Weston turville are a few miles out but are nice. Wendover has the woods as far as things to do goes although indoor stuff is lacking.

Aylesbury does have a wide range if supermarkets though if that's a swaying feature smile in probably a bit biased as I've always hated it and I do realise there r worst places but there only seems to be pubs and bookies in the town centre. Shopping is currently under development and at the moment there's very little I would say. Check out the coppice. Houses are small but it's in catchment for a good school (well it was last time I checked I think) . Personally if I had a choice I wouldn't live there. It's not all bad but every bit of green seems to end up with houses built in it, there aren't the schools really to cope with it.

Ponyofdoom Thu 18-Apr-13 23:26:05

I used to live near Aylesbury. I was back there today for the dentist! Its not that great but it's OK. I would choose the villages or Wendover I think, though Bedgrove is fine too, my friend lives there and likes it OK. Is Milton Keynes too far out for you? Its only 25 mins drive from Aylesbury, is a bit cheaper and has more facilities and lots of parkland, I would live there over Aylesbury if I had children but wanted a big town.

mimmymouse Fri 19-Apr-13 07:02:32

Ponyofdoom (great name btw) MK is too far, but I agree, is a nicer town. Think concensus is that a village is better than Aylesbury itself. We will keep looking!! Thanks so much. This has really helped x

Readyisknitting Fri 19-Apr-13 07:13:16

I like living here, the town had more going on than some.

Fairford leys. Watermead, and villages are nice. Some of the older estates are settling down. I'm in a village, if that helps. Avoid buckingham park like the plague, and I suspect berryfields will be the same!

Might be worth looking at school catchments too. St marys on ff leys struggles and is oversubscribed, although is struggling to be stable with no head. Elmhurst has very bad rep. Turnfurlong, always good rep had just gone into special measures, and Bedgrove was recentlylooking for a new head although has good rep. Bearbrook just had good ofstead, hayden abby and William harding are also appreciated but the mums I know.

Does that help?

mimmymouse Fri 19-Apr-13 19:16:01

Readyisknitting---that really helps! Thanks x

Readyisknitting Fri 19-Apr-13 19:18:01

shout if you need more!!!!

handcream Fri 19-Apr-13 19:21:16

Whitchurch just north of Aylesbury. Know Watermead, thinks it looks like a toy town tbh.

thebestnamesaregone Fri 19-Apr-13 19:25:24

Bedgrove is a nice area to bring up children, good primary and middle school, park, local shops and churches etc. But the houses are a bit dated now, though with good size gardens. Fairford Lees and Watermead are OK. Avoid Walton Court Elmhurst, Quarrendon and Southcourt. Buckingham Park and Berryfields are new developments with a poor reputation, though I dont know if that is justified.

If you can afford the villages Wendover, Weston Turville,Waddesdon or Bierton are nicer, but you will pay a premium for housing.

Shopping is dire and getting worse, though we are promised Waitrose by the Summer!

LucyHowitt94 Wed 20-May-15 17:42:31

Hello, I am new to this site I was just wondering if anyone knows what the baby and toddler group is like held in the Buckingham park community centre? I have a little girl and none of my friends have small children so would like her to interact with some babies her age, if anyone could recommend some good groups to go to that would be great!
Thankyou!

Millymollymama Wed 20-May-15 17:53:41

I would post this in nursery or pre school education.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now