How do I tell my neighbours to smarten up their house so we can sell ours?

(36 Posts)
cupcake78 Thu 18-Apr-13 12:31:20

That's it really. Feedback from estate agents is their house is putting off people.

We aren't best of friends and say hello but that's it. We are very different people with different priorities. How their house looks is not high on their agenda.

So how do you tell your neighbours their scruffy bastards?!

Bloodybridget Thu 18-Apr-13 16:03:23

I do sympathise. If we ever want to sell we'll be in the same situation, as on a mostly tidy street, we are next door to and opposite the three worst houses!

HalfBakedCleverCookie Thu 18-Apr-13 16:05:55

I think you or your dp are going to have to offer to do it. If your lucky you might shame them into it but otherwise, your benefiting so you might have to put the work/money in. They obviously don't mind how it looks.

Or if they dislike you as much as you dislike them, they might do it gladly to get rid of you quicker.

pinkje Thu 18-Apr-13 16:43:38

Did your neighbours live there when you bought your house? If so were they as messy then too? If that didn't put you off them maybe someone else will see past the mess too.

I agree that patronising the neighbours will only lead to them further disrupting your sale.

Good luck.

cupcake78 Thu 18-Apr-13 17:35:35

I know they drink, smoke etc as they do it in the front garden and the police have been round a few times due to domestics and drunken arguments. Not called by us we have purposefully kept our head down to avoid arguments and disagreements that would then need declaring.

Like I said they have different priorities to us. We would rather spend money on keeping our house tidy rather than leave it to rot and let neighbours pay for what is our responsibility regardless of how much or little cash we had. It doesn't mean that my way is right, just different to them and i find it frustrating to be held back.

They lived there before we moved in but the house was relatively new and was ok. We've been here for 12 years and they have done nothing to maintain the exterior of the house in that time. They do cut their lawn from time to time.

Methe Thu 18-Apr-13 17:39:05

You can't expect them to live their lives by your rules. You can ask them to tidy it up a bit, you can't tell them to.

wonderingagain Thu 18-Apr-13 17:42:27

Tell them you're moving and offer to take some of their stuff to the dump. Once it's gone they might want to tidy up.

If you're not prepared to put yourself out financially or practically, that's your choice really. The effect on your property will probably be thousands and you should tell DP that.

WTFisABooyhoo Thu 18-Apr-13 18:01:25

"and let neighbours pay for what is our responsibility "

have they asked you to tidy up their front garden?

flowery Thu 18-Apr-13 19:56:55

There really is no point either judging them or resenting the fact that they don't make the same choices you do. Fact is they don't and that's entirely up to them.

If it affects you, which it does, you need to make a decision about how to deal with it based on getting the best outcome for you and your family.

The best outcome for you is getting it sorted asap and the only way to do that is do it yourself, by offering to clear stuff to the tip for them or paint their fence or whatever.

LittleFrieda Thu 18-Apr-13 20:18:48

Hmm difficult. I would go round and explain that you are selling your house and the estate agent -- estate agents are SO fussy innit -- has asked if you could get the neighbours to clear the rubbish and spruce up the outside. I know the estate agent is probably being stupid as it's fine, but would they mnd if you carted away the rubbish and painted x y z. They will hopefully be so ashamed that they will do it or some of it, themselves.

Altenativly, you could ask Mumsnet if they will start a neighbours from hell topic and you could post up a photo of their front with the message "Oi, slackers, get it sorted."

Notyetthere Thu 18-Apr-13 23:11:46

Ditto what Little said!

I would also say something along the lines of EA suggested the mess next is cleared to attract a buyer. Could be perceived cowardly but you need to sell so a little twisted info won't do much harm.

When we were viewing I specifically looked out the upstairs windows to judge the neighbours gardens and even rejected a perfect house bse the neighbours on one side had 4 Asda trolleys randomly damped at the button of their garden.

Jan49 Fri 19-Apr-13 00:05:54

If you think just clearing the junk will make a significant difference to the look, then I think it's worth figuring out a way to get it done. Maybe get a skip, get rid of some of your stuff and ask them if they want to put theirs in it too as you've got some space. Forget about the rights and wrongs of it, you just need a way to get your house sold and you don't really want to drop the price.

If that isn't enough to stop the neighbours putting buyers off then I don't think there's anything you can do. I wouldn't ask the neighbours to do anything else. I think that would just annoy them or cause trouble without actually achieving anything.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now