Support thread for House Renovators/DIYers

(305 Posts)
LPlateFlyer Wed 17-Apr-13 11:41:07

Was wondering if anyone wanted to join me in a support thread for all of us doing lots of renovating, odd jobs, diy etc. This can be somewhere we can do some well deserved bragging on a job well done! smile

I have sooooo much DIY that needs to get done. shock

I almost finished the downstairs loo yesterday. All that needs to be done is a second coat of paint on the door and a towel rail and toilet roll holder to be put up.

Yesterday's Tada list:
Painted skirtings in loo 2x coats
Painted door frame in loo 2x coats
Painted door in loo 1 x coat
Put together and installed a small bathroom cabinet

I'm about to start putting together an Ikea book case so that I can get some of the books out of storage!

I nabbed MoreBeta on another thread earlier, the room is still sealed! The mystery continues.

I got the bathroom painted, DH got everything taken to the tip, including, we think, the brush for the dustpan. We also got the ex-kitchen walls stripped right down, so it's all ready for our plasterer. We also managed to get all DDs toys sorted out by type, some put aside for the baby, and some thrown. Stripping the walls was quicker, she has so much stuff. confused

Plan for tomorrow is to touch up any bits of woodwork I missed, get the unit fitted to the wall, and the towel rails & toilet roll holder in. Then the bathroom is finished! (At least until the other cabinet I want come back in stock grin)

mama, we booked a week off, so DD has been in her usual childcare while we've DIYd. She will happily help with painting the walls though.

Aethelfleda Fri 21-Jun-13 07:17:29

The ensuite is finished! The final touches Of matching loo roll holder/towel ring/towel rail are in, the hot showers are lovely and the room is near and tidy. It's great in there, yay.

I think i may now pick a new room to "tackle" as at the mo skipping all over the house with different jobs.

Yesterday I finished the final fence painting for our back left fence ("ours"). And now that's finished, need to worl out a strategy for our "not ours" fence on the right, our neighbour is meant to sort it but may end up using a disguise strategy if they don't get aroWill be getting some willow panels to screen our patio and probably get some more later in the year if neighbours

Aethelfleda Fri 21-Jun-13 07:19:14

Anyway, which room
To do next? Am thinking prob the family bathroom (just needs a bit of patching up), then the top room (it's a joint study/playroom) as lots to do there.

Sounds like a good plan, get the other bathroom sorted while you still have bathroom stuff around. Also, if it's a small job it gives you time to plan for the next one. What needs to be done in the top room?

We've just been to B&Q again and come back with a cupboard to go in the dining room where the other one didn't fit. As the newer style of cupboard has feet that are set in a bit, rather than just straight down the sides, it should fit perfectly if it knows what's good for it.

Aethelfleda Fri 21-Jun-13 14:27:14

Sigh: I feel like Homebase, Wickes, Wilkinsons and Toolstation are my second home! However, I do feel better now that it's just cosmetic work needed (albeit lots).

dS napped so I put some nice plants in the front border: it's not done by a long shot but putting some french lavendar and red Salvia has given it a bit of instant colour, later I've got some tulip and daffodil bulbs we've had in pots this year and I'll put them in for ongoing flowers next year.

The family bathroom now just needs: silicone sealenting the gap at the edge of the flooring: I bought a plastic edge-filler from wilkinsons and siliconeing it in means the floor will be waterproofed. I also need to (satinwood) repaint the wooden windowsill and the wooden edge of the bath surround (and the wastepipes for the loo as they are a bit grotty).

Then need some patch repairs of the wall paint: it's quite a nice blue but there are holes from previous cabinet screws that need fillering and then disguising, and a sort of weird "feature" design that's half under a cupboard so needs painting over. Hopefully I can match the paint to avoid a complete re-paint (tho if not I will give up and repaint the lot)

The top room needs: carpet cleaning, holes fillering and painted over, pictures and possibly a few shelves up, and repainting of the doorframes and repaint the replaced skirting board and "feature wall" (which has tasteful holes where they painted around the furniture)
. An almighty reshuffle of storage stuff is also needed up there, to finalise what else needs doing, there's also an eaves cupboard that I need to line with ply to stop the insulation hanging out!

The top room sounds like a project, but one I could really get my teeth into. When you say "top room" is it a loft conversion? Our long term plan is to convert the loft into a computer/games room. I would say playroom, but by the time we get round to it, DDs will probably be a bit old for it!

You could try this for colour matching It's dulux colour click, I've not tried it before so I don't know how good it is, or how expensive, but it sounds like they could match the paint exactly. I'm struggling to find the right blue/grey for our kitchen at the moment, as we have blue/grey streaks in the tiles, but sadly not big enough streaks to be able to use it.

Thankfully the new cupboard fitted perfectly. It's now in place, and full of all the bits I had to move out of the kitchen to make way for the washing machine. DH has also had to clean down and fit the door back onto the ex-kitchen as our plasterer has said he might be able to fit us in this weekend, instead of next, as he knows we're trying to get it all done asap. Bit of a slow day though, all in all, as I seem to have trapped a bloody nerve in my back. I've had to leave finishing the small bathroom until next weekend, which is a bit annoying as we're so close!

Liara Fri 21-Jun-13 20:46:36

envy at all this completion of tasks!

We've put the big door up (yay!) and are now paving the terrace around it.

Also putting the finishing touches to the playroom, hopefully will have it finished in the next couple of days. I have two more curtains to finish sewing and a sink to plumb in, and then we're pretty much there...

envy at being able to put in curtains! grin

I managed to get the painting in the small bathroom finished last night when I couldn't sleep, so will hopefully get the fixtures in this afternoon. Plasterer is due any minute to get started on the ex-kitchen, and will be back to finish off on Wednesday, so next weekend we might actually be able to paint it. At this rate we might even have it done before DD2 arrives, which I was really doubting would happen. I've also fixed the door handle on the small bathroom so I can lock it properly. You used to be able to just jiggle the handle about until it opened, even when locked. Now DD1 can't break in and mess up the drying paint.

Aethelfleda Sat 22-Jun-13 09:53:20

Wow liara are you doing your own plumbing? I cheated and got a plumber, admittedly because we needed showers doing too (really well cos the old ones leaked)

Good work on the locks too mango, I'd never replaced door handles/locks before moving here as not needed too (hint: if you're replacing mortice locks, make sure you have chisels to hand before you take off the old lock, they always need some adjusting of the cavity to fit the new one in!)
day off today from DIY as it's the school fair. Then bathroom floor fixing is on the list...

Ha ha, don't they just! We found that out yesterday. grin Do we have any idea where our one and only chisel is? Hell no! The door for the ex-kitchen is currently being held shut with the use of a door stop, while the plasterer is in there. (It's on his side so he can get back out. grin)

Liara Sat 22-Jun-13 20:44:11

Yes, I'm the plumber round here. Dh is the electrician. I bloody hate electricity.

Plumbing's OK, you just have to be stubborn and keep checking for leaks. But the plumbing in of this sink is no big deal, most of the stuff is right there and I just have to connect it up.

We got the terrace stones down and now just have to grout it. Haven't done the sink yet...

Well the plasterer was here yesterday, did a fantastic job at getting the walls repaired, and has gotten 2 walls and the ceiling done. He'll be back on Wednesday for the last 2, and boxing in the boiler. Also had electrician BIL here, who fixed and tidied up all the sockets on one side of the kitchen, so that's all working properly and looking lovely.

We thought all was going great until DD's bedtime, when we realised that our plasterer has managed to knock a nice chunk of plaster out of the wall on the nursery side where he moved a switch. Last minute hoovering, "fixing" the wall with masking tape, and a quick change of bed was all very exciting for DD, but she did eventually conk out after jumping on the bed for a while.

I'm sure our lovely plasterer will fix it, and we do still have a big tub of the paint we used, so we should be able to match it without painting the whole room, so not a disaster, just annoying. Sadly, our nursery was the only room I could truly say was finished, so feeling a bit disheartened at the moment. <mutters about taking one step forward and two back>

Aethelfleda Sun 23-Jun-13 19:33:44

Well, I got sidetracked by an enooormous load of washing, but have just put in the last set of window restrictors for our middle floor: so all eight side-opening UPVC windows now have working restrictors, which makes me feel a lot better (DS is a mad climber and the other two are big enough to be told not to lean out of windows). Our velux on the top floor are unrestricted but so high up I don't think they are reachable (even I need to stand on a chair to open them!)

Also repainted my raised beds and applied copper anti-slug tape. Bathroom floor calling me but the sofa's cooomfy....

I love that tape. My DM uses it for her hostas, it's the only way she can keep them from getting devoured. I'm still aiming for a duck! grin

We finally got the small bathroom finished late last night. Well, all bar replacing the mirrored cabinet, but it's out of stock at our local Ikea atm, so that will go up when we can buy one. All other fittings are in, right down to the curtains. We have a room finished! grin

Liara Mon 24-Jun-13 20:46:20

Ohh, does it work? We do have snail problems, far too many dry stone walls where they can hide and come and trash my plants at night. I have given up on hostas (they were devoured).

I've plumbed in the sink and discovered I'm missing a piece to connect the tap [sigh]. Curtains are up and terrace is laid and grouted though, so feeling quite happy. Not quite a room finished but almost there....

I'd love ducks, but I think the lack of a pond might be a sticking point...

Aethelfleda Tue 25-Jun-13 14:32:54

Shopping! Went today to buy new handles for the kitchen door (since we rehung it the handle clashes with the downstairs loo door so getting a knob rather than a handle to prevent this. Still need to wood filler the old hinge holes
(oops)...

Also bought a cheap remnant to cover the defect in the top dressing room where the old showers leaked (visble ply flooring repair is SO this season's look, dahling!)

And bought some trial MDF sheets, screws and panel pins to try panelling off in the eaves cupboard which will render it better storage by keeping in the badly stuck in insulation and making it feel more like a proper storage space.

So no actual DIY, but buying more materials counts, right???

<round of applause for mango and liara on bathroom completage and almost-done-a-room progress>

Aethelfleda Tue 25-Jun-13 14:34:58

Ps no idea if the copper tape works yet: prior to application the slugs little gits ate four strawberries, I'll keep a count of us versus them and let you know!!!

mamapants Tue 25-Jun-13 20:05:15

Does copper work against sheep? The slugs make fairly minimal damage compared to the sheep around here although if we ever repaired the gates that would probably help. But dp isn't allowed to do any work here only at the new house.
I've been getting fed up of talking about concrete and gravel and have started researching fun things like flooring and furniture.
We have I think decided we are definitely going for slate for kitchen. Starting to get excited about bathroom now after seeing some lovely limestone slabs unfortunately they seem to be £££

MabliD Thu 27-Jun-13 15:40:46

May I join you? We brought the house with the knowledge it was a do-er upper in September last year, but then in the first werk of October the pipes burst and basically destroyed downstairs and it's been a nightmare ever since!

Current to do list:

Finish stripping and waxing the bannister and put back up
Reattach hall and dining room skirting boards
Build fire surround and redo hearth
Replace knackered woodburner
New kitchen
Shelves up in living room
Finish tiling bathroom
Decorate all rooms except DDs and living room
Lay floor in our bedroom
Lamdscape garden demolish old outbuilding put up shed etc etc
unpack 425 boxes
there's more but it's getting v depressing to list!

So far we've managed all the wall demolishing, rebuilding, replastered downstairs and had new floors downstairs, plus decorated DDs room and the living room and half tiled and painted the bathroom but that seems very pitiful considering it's 8 months since the flood. Hoping that you lot can show me there's light at the end of the tunnel! All being done by DH in his after work and weekend time on a shoestring so can't expect too much at once from the poor bloke!

Liara Thu 27-Jun-13 20:20:45

Welcome Mabli!

Sounds like you have a big project in your hands!

Ours was basically a ruin when we bought 7 years ago. It's very, very slowly getting there, but it does all take its time!

mamapants Thu 27-Jun-13 23:42:40

Welcome Mabli.
Sounds like you are doing really well.
We are 2months into our project, I'm enjoying it so far- probably helps that I'm not doing any of the work yet and that we aren't living there while doing it.

Hello MabliD, that is a project and a half!

The ex-kitchen is now fully plastered, dry, and has a new floor in, so we can paint. Our B&Q had 2 2.5L tins of dulux for £25 this weekend, not sure if we'll need both, but at least we can swap one for a different colour. So many rooms that need painting I have no doubt we'll use it.

The "fix" to the hole in DDs wall didn't work. The putty oozed out down the wall. I can't be dealing with more workmen tramping in and out at the moment, so I'll be fixing it myself with polyfiller, in layers. <sigh>

Aethelfleda did the MDF work?

Liara we have no pond either, but BIL has a duck and no pond, just a good sized solid paddling pool! Like a pond, but no digging, and easy to clean out. Seems to work very well, and the duck is happy.

Aethelfleda Tue 02-Jul-13 16:30:23

<eyes up mdf sitting in hall, new knobs in packet and three children in various degrees of antsiness>

<sidles off to get coffee>

Aethelfleda Wed 03-Jul-13 13:45:12

Have planted out another part of the front border with instant-colour (yes, technically it's not DIY but it does make the front nicer and so (hopefully) endear me to the neighbours!) I always try to plant perennials as I feel annuals are a waste of money, but this year it will buy me time and as I have no colour sense it's a riot of red/yellow/purple!

And the knob is now replaced on the kitchen door to stop it entangling with the loo knob when both doors are open. The other two knobs are less urgent as just to make it prettier (tho I suspect doors will need painting soon to hide the marks from changjng the knobs over.) aargh, it never stops!!!

Oh and the MDF is actually IN the eaves cupboard awaiting time to screw it in place, which looks like it will work pretty well and if it doesn't need trimming that should be pretty quick. A bit hmm about how insubstantial modern houses seem to be though, there's no extra brick in the walls underneath the eaves, just plasterboard, joists and then the roof on top! And this is apparently a "well-constructed" modern house! <pines briefly for my lovely old but way too small 1930s terrace which was rock solid>

Well we have done NOTHING this weekend! Nothing DIY at least. Were out all day Saturday, then had a day off on Sunday, with the paddling pool out, and I actually put my feet up and stopped pottering. It was lovely. However I still need to paint DDs new room, and fill in the rest of the hole in the wall in her current room so we can paint over and finally move her bed back.

I think planting out on that scale counts as DIY, Aethelfleda. I chucked some cheap winter annuals in our front garden last autumn after the entire bed got trampled by builders. They are still going, and we have 3 times more than I put in! No idea how they've managed to do it. I also could have sworn we used all white, purple and pink things, but we seem to have red and yellow now too. confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now