The decluttering, cleaning, vacating, pandering, nailbiting antics of the stressed out house sellers continued...

(1000 Posts)
CuddyMum Thu 11-Apr-13 16:47:11

Thought I'd better start a new thread... smile

doglover Fri 12-Apr-13 18:27:20

I know what you mean, CM. I'm back at school on Monday so some sense of normality will resume. What we need now is an increased offer - upped by about £15K !!

alwayslateforwork Sat 13-Apr-13 04:59:18

Oo, doglover, exciting...we accepted $19k below asking on ours - about £12k. Am still waiting for them to book property inspection (yep, same as a survey. Not expecting it to show anything too bad!) and will feel a lot better once that is done - am a little concerned that they haven't bothered yet... That said, dh has just unearthed a clause in our condo long term strategic plan for special assessment cash calls by owners to the tune of $10k over the next two years. I'm betting we're liable for that <sigh>.

Anyway - we got the cheap one! They accepted our offer, before they even put the house on the market, at 1k above their asking price. So I am in the frankly bizarre position of having (theoretically) bought a 3 bed soon to be 4 bed house with a basement and garden, for $20k less than we sold our 2 bed apartment for. Go figure! grin. So now I'm planning renovations, and desperately hoping this all goes through without a hitch. Possession not until 1 Aug, but all agreed. In theory, our place sells on 26 July, but the realtor thinks we can get our buyers to agree to 1 Aug, as they originally wanted 31 July anyway...

So now we get the upgrades we want, and (how the actual feck does this work) no increase in our mortgage...

grin

Turnipinatutu Sat 13-Apr-13 09:37:09

Always- that sounds fab! Am very envy
We have 1 house to view this morning and possibly another that can't do viewings till next weekend.
No viewings booked for ours at all though sad sigh...

rubyrubyruby Sat 13-Apr-13 09:47:38

Quick question.

Are any of you proceeding with purchasing a new property before selling your current one?

CuddyMum Sat 13-Apr-13 10:15:20

Always - sounds like a result - well done indeed!

Tau Sat 13-Apr-13 10:31:22

Our estate agent saga continues, and has yet again taken an interesting turn.

Next week, we should be online with the new agent.

And as it turns out, that is just in time, because House Tree, the online agent we were with initially, has disappeared from Rightmove today, so our house is no longer listed there. Still on Zoopla, but I reckon that'll be off soon as well.
I guess House Tree has gone boom - what is the proper euphemism? Gone into administration? No wonder if they employ idiots like the guy we dealt with. But, as it turns out, he has done us a favour. If he hadn't aggravated us by giving wrong information to interested people, we would not have gone to another agent, and we'd probably only found out today that something was amiss....

Fingers crossed that we will have no more problems, and that our house will sell soon. The new EA said it should be relatively easy to sell.
However, houses around here are not selling all that well, so 'relatively' could still be not quite as fast as we would like...

Ah well, we only need one buyer.

CuddyMum Sat 13-Apr-13 11:26:39

Oh that's good Tau - they sounded rubbish! Good luck with your new agent smile

PastaBeeandCheese Sat 13-Apr-13 12:35:24

rubyrubyruby my mum has done that twice. Such a great position to be in.

<goes back to pressure washing everything she can see>

CuddyMum Sat 13-Apr-13 13:26:34

Another round of garage clearing and packing done. I stayed out of the way and bathed the dog (as you do)!

doglover Sat 13-Apr-13 13:58:23

Well, after a long and rather sleepless night, we have accepted their offer!! Yes, it's less than we hoped to achieve but we would end up spending the same money over the next 3 years on our current property to update various things. The e.a. feels that we've got a good price and my dh is happy, too. I can't let myself get too excited though until we've exchanged ........................................ As we all know, it's a long, rocky, uncertain road from 'offers' to completion smile

rubyrubyruby Sat 13-Apr-13 14:49:23

Well done doglover

Thanks pastabee - I think that's what we are going to do as it's the only way I can see a way forward for us. It was a bit of a lightbulb moment tbh.
Just hope it's the right decision. Makes me nervous !!!

alwayslateforwork Sat 13-Apr-13 14:59:06

Well done dog! You are right about it just opening a whole new can of things to worry about though!!

Isityouorme Sat 13-Apr-13 15:06:41

Can I just say that I hope the stupid cow who came to my house today and was more interested in her kid and clearly had the strop with the dh, thank you for wasting my time. I hope the house you buy has damp, dry rot and your new neighbours have very loud parties. That also goes to the gits how offered on another house last week and didn't other to cancel the third viewing. Bloody hate selling my house and all the crap that comes with it .... Though am loving it being so clean and tidy!!

CuddyMum Sat 13-Apr-13 17:10:38

Yay doglover! It's hard to accept a lower offer than you'd like. We did and DH does keep reminding me!

Itsyouorme - don't you just hate timewasters?

Turnipinatutu Sat 13-Apr-13 17:56:36

Isit - Sounds like you've been on the receiving end of some thoughtless people!
Ruby - The only downside to buying before selling is it could put you in a weaker position when it comes to negotiating your sale. But if you're confident your house will sell and can afford to be flexible. Why not?

We ended up with a last minute viewing calling today, so we had 2-3 hours to get the house ready and I'd only just stripped all the beds! Ahhhh!
However the EA said they seemed genuinely keen, told her they'd discuss it over the weekend and get back to them on Monday. So fingers crossed.
We viewed the worst house so far this morning....dark, gloomy, odd layout, complete with mud/dog turd garden and bramble covered stagnant pond.

rubyrubyruby Sat 13-Apr-13 18:17:10

Yes turnip - there is that but it also puts us in a strong buying position as we would have no downward chain.

rubyrubyruby Sat 13-Apr-13 18:19:26

Time wasters must be so frustrating. My brother has had his house on the market for over 2 years. I'm sure some peoe look just to be nosy

sailorsgal Sat 13-Apr-13 19:17:50

Hi everyone
Very slow here. Easter hols maybe? Have a viewing possibly this week. Saw a lovely house this week but disappointing garden. Im staying off rightmove for a bit.

TerrysNo2 Sat 13-Apr-13 19:24:31

can i join? put the house on the market 2 weeks ago, had 20 viewings in the first week but no offers, decluttered like crazy this week and had another 7 viewings today.

not sure if I can cope with this lasting much longer! smile

sailorsgal Sat 13-Apr-13 19:34:36

Thats amazing. What's the feedback?

TerrysNo2 Sat 13-Apr-13 20:13:22

the agent has been really rubbish at feedback so far, we live next to a railway line so a few people have mentioned that and the house isn't huge. as I did the 7 viewings today (am knackered!) DH is going to bug them for detailed feedback next week!

PastaBeeandCheese Sat 13-Apr-13 20:22:59

I am utterly exhausted. Spent entire day gardening. On the plus side it looks fab. The best it has ever looked.

Two agents coming Monday so hope they notice!

A well deserved wine for me!

rubyrubyruby Sat 13-Apr-13 20:41:41

Yes pastabee wine
It's been pissing down here!

TerrysNo2 Sat 13-Apr-13 20:47:19

chucking it down here too, our garden looked very muddy today. come on sunshine!

so what are your experiences of viewings? if someone is interested would we have heard today? last time we sold our flat went in one day so I feel new to this selling malarkey! smile

Turnipinatutu Sat 13-Apr-13 20:53:59

wine here too...in my tidy, shiny house grin
Been pissing down here all day as well. Such a shame as last weekend we had our only viewing cancel. It was gorgeous all weekend and the sun would have been streaming into the kitchen while they were here.

This thread is not accepting new messages.