The decluttering, cleaning, vacating, pandering, nailbiting antics of the stressed out house sellers continued...

(1000 Posts)
CuddyMum Thu 11-Apr-13 16:47:11

Thought I'd better start a new thread... smile

CuddyMum Fri 10-May-13 17:32:01

Oh Turkey - how do you feel about the house now?

Hello Hinkyhonk - it's never plain sailing is it?

doglover Fri 10-May-13 18:00:04

We have accepted our an offer on ours and have had offer accepted on next house (vacant). Our cash buyers are currently arranging their mortgage so hope they hurry up and get the survey booked! Our mortgage is arranged so we'll arrange survey next week. Our sellers are acrimoniously divorced so communication may be tricky there. We definitely hope to move by the start of the summer hols ..............

TerrysNo2 Fri 10-May-13 18:13:37

the surveyor left at 1.30, he said he'd update our buyer today verbally and she said she'd call me to let me know her thoughts thereafter. no news as yet sad sad

I hope it will be tonight as otherwise it well be another sleepless one for me sad sad

FedupofTurkey Fri 10-May-13 18:13:44

Cuddy - gutted. House is perfect, but we loved the view sad don't know what to do now. Interestingly sellers had ticked no on their form about proposed development but the club confirmed they have spoken to them. Not sure where that puts us now sad

VickyRenovator Fri 10-May-13 18:49:42

Can I join in please? We're almost at the point of exchanging on the house we're selling our solicitor thought it would be by the end of this week. Yesterday I finally got a returned call from our EA and he said that the buyers aren't happy with the electrical test report we had done a couple of years ago. When we had the test done electrician said that there were a few minor things that didn't meet building regs, but that one of the bedrooms wasn't earthed. He suggested it was a simple loose connection and tried to find it, but couldn't. The only option was to remove some of the ceiling and then obviously make good. He assured me though that it want dangerous, nothing to worry about so we left it at that.

Now the buyer is worried as they were told by the EA that the electrics would be fine as we'd been renting it out. My view is that no Victorian house is going to meet current building regs, but the main issue is that the electrics are safe. There's been a new fuse board, rcd's etc. I did suggest that they call and speak to the electrician.

I've had radio silence all day, but we certainly haven't exchanged. I'm feeling a bit fed up that I provided the certificate with all the information weeks ago. Most people have to pay for an electrical test, which they haven't.

I think I'm just venting.

TerrysNo2 Fri 10-May-13 19:11:59

she called, no firm decision but I am tentatively positive. fingers crossed we can know for definite early next week

didireallysaythat Fri 10-May-13 21:59:51

I've been lurking in the shadows for so long it's time I came out. I don't feel like I really belong here though for the following reasons...

The background: been looking since august 2010 but every house we offered on was snapped up by a cash buyer in rented. We offer on, on average, 2 a year as the market is slow where we are. Fast forward to April 2012 and we lose another to sealed bids having sold our house (again). Then our buyer pulls out, we find another and then take a while to sell again. Meanwhile the house we offered on becomes unmortgageable so again we haven't got anywhere. In January 2013 a good match comes up and we have our offer accepted and it is off the market. Trouble is things haven't moved on much more. We moved into rented in April to avoid losing our buyer, we have a mortgage sorted, an OK survey and all we need is for them to find something... But the market is flat so there isn't a lot for them to choose from. I need a letter from our solicitor with a date for exchange and completion in order to move my son's school for September. We're not going to move him until we are certain if course.

So, as an assembled panel of property buying savvy individuals, what should we do ? The couple whose house we want to buy are downsizing to a bungalow and have a large area they are looking in. I'm not sure they will be receptive to moving into rented. And despite us being in a good position in rented, they have the better hand. I should add that we haven't seen anything since January we would consider viewing. Rightmove hasn't picked up anything on our searches in 3 weeks... Is there some middle ground that I've missed ?

TerrysNo2 Sat 11-May-13 13:43:40

FedUp have you made any decisions on your new house? Sounds like the sellers have purposefully mislead you, probably not a personal thing but I guess they were trying it on! If I were you I would probably go on and sell your house and then at least you are in a strong buying position for whichever house you go for.

didireallysaythat why don't you tell them that unless they move out into rented you will pull out. Its not an unreasonable thing to ask considering its taken so long already. Are you prepared to walk away if they don't?

So the surveyor told our buyer not to make a decision until she has seen the full report. I know there are things "wrong" with our house as its a victorian house (wood rot, a bit of damp) but nothing really major and our buyer has led me to believe that she is not afraid of putting in some work, its just major stuff that would concern her. On that basis then I think we will be fine but I just hope she meant it!

rubyrubyruby Sat 11-May-13 16:24:57

We have made an offer.
It has been accepted.

The fun starts now grin

Pendulum Sat 11-May-13 18:50:13

OK we have movement. Solicitors appointed and vendors have found somewhere to buy. Back up the rollercoaster we go....

TerrysNo2 Sat 11-May-13 20:36:11

glad to hear you've got movement pendulum no pun intended grin

I am so frustrated that we still don't know if our buyer is going to buy, I spend my day veering between positive and negative thoughts and then can hardly sleep at night. DH and I love our current house and area so it won't be the end of the world if we have to stay but we are also so excited at the new chapter in or lives if we were to get this new house so I will be gutted if it all falls through.

I can't believe I am actually wishing my weekend away sad

TerrysNo2 Sat 11-May-13 20:37:19

oh ruby was that the house you were going to offer on? congrats!

didireallysaythat Sat 11-May-13 20:58:18

TerrysNo2 we could pull out but since there's nothing else we would consider buying it doesn't feel like we would get anywhere. If we just threaten to pull out I think they could just put it on the market and sell in a day or two, probably at in increased offer nearer their asking price... Least, that's what I'd do.

I guess if there was more property coming onto the market it wiykd be different but there's so little.

Oh well. I guess we will be in rented for more than 6 months. Probably explains why minimum leases are 12 months around here !

Jaynebxl Sun 12-May-13 06:31:54

We are still in limbo. All contracts on our sale and our purchase are signed undated and being held by the solicitor until the exchange. We are now just waiting for our buyers to catch up with their purchase. This is the third house they've attempted to buy since they accepted our offer so it is taking ages. 4 months since we accepted the offer on our house and a little more since they accepted our offer on their house. Our buyers desperately want to be in by end May and we would love that but it really would be a miracle.

rubyrubyruby Sun 12-May-13 10:07:08

Yes Terry's - that's the one.
We made the jump Friday and after a little jostling back and forth via the estate agent we came to an agreement.

Reading this thread I'm trying not to get too excited and still haven't told anyone in RL.

I'm giving ours a spruce up this week and then getting valuations <<eeeekkk>>

ghosteditor Sun 12-May-13 19:37:53

Well, we have a viewing booked tomorrow by someone buying outright for her family, so chain-free. That's after a two-week drought on viewings. The last one resulted in an offer which fell through. I'm hopeful smile

We are still dithering about whether to do a survey on the house we want to buy; mortgage valuation came back ok.

And the house across the road from us has taken down its sold sign and put for sake back up - not sure if that's good or bad; it's almost £50k more, but a different style and bigger with a bigger garden. It went up 2 days after ours and 'sold' last week. Hmm.

Pendulum Sun 12-May-13 21:11:52

Hi ghosteditor, good luck for tomorrow!

Regarding the survey, I expect you know this but just in case...the mortgage valuation surveyor has a contract with the lending bank not with you. If you want someone that you could sue in future for not spotting that the house needed underpinning (god forbid!), you need to contract with your own surveyor.

ghosteditor Sun 12-May-13 22:49:52

Thanks Pendulum!

We are going to take a look at our paperwork for the survey for this house to check the legal wording to see just how culpable surveyors are - can you even sue them anyway if they miss something?

Yes, clear on the valuation vs survey, thanks. The house we're buying is a 1982 estate build detached stone house. FiL is a carpenter/ builder's mate and can check for any obvious issues, we've not seen signs to be wary about. We reckon that any immediate fixes would be covered in the £1k or so we'd need to spend to get a thorough survey.

Are we mad not to have a survey? Thoughts welcomed wink

TerrysNo2 Sun 12-May-13 23:16:55

ghost IMO you are mad not to get a survey, £500-600 is nothing compared to what you are spending. would you buy a car without a valid MOT?

Sorry if that sounds a bit bossy blush but the potential losses are far greater than the cost of a survey.

ghosteditor Mon 13-May-13 09:03:16

thanks for the opinion terrys!

The survey that would cost us £575 + VAT is only the Homebuyer's Survey - while it's the one which is recommended for this type of house, it's very unlikely to show anything we can't spot ourselves. We had whatever type of survey was recommended in 2007 for our flat roof house, specifically to assess the roof - and the surveyor said 'couldn't get access to the roof so haven't assessed it'. The Homebuyer survey will be the same. If we pay for a full survey it will be much more in the region of £1k and we could do a lot of minor repairs for that. Because it's a detached build we don't have some of the obvious concerns.

I've been getting lots of quotes and we're still considering it, haven't ruled it out. It still feels wrong not to get one. Hmmm...

TerrysNo2 Mon 13-May-13 09:27:19

ghost where are you based? I just paid for a full structural on our house for £600 inc VAT. the banks will always charge more if you go through them but you don't have to, you just need to get their standard valuation.

The waiting game begins again today, i am waiting on:
- final OK from the mortgage company
- but most importantly, the surveyor to talk to our buyer and provide his report so poor buyer can decide whether they are still going ahead. sad

fingers and toes crossed!

ghosteditor Mon 13-May-13 09:45:42

terrys the whole process is so bloody stressful for everyone isn't it! It's a wonder anyone moves at all. No matter how organised you are you just can't control everything. Good luck with your two aims this week!

We're in Oxfordshire. I have three or four quotes so far and none are as competitive as the price you mention. The most expensive one is the only one which has sounded like he looks at more than just the obvious issues and really takes time to look around. Essentially, I think if we're going to get one then we will go for the most thorough and most expensive. Having paid so much and been so disappointed with our last survey, if we go ahead this time we will get what we pay for!

ghosteditor Mon 13-May-13 09:49:30

This week we are:

- having a viewing on our current house today. I'm hopeful smile
- proving our identity to about a thousand different people (well, mortgage and solicitors)
- telling the estate agent what furniture we are interested in purchasing
- deciding on the survey we want

I think that's it.

What do you all think about getting our current house 'legally prepared' since we want to sell quickly, now that we are committing to buying our next house? Our estate agent is pushing it but we won't use their recommended solicitor as they're v expensive. we have a recommendation (via MN and separately via an estate agent) for a local solicitor who is expensive but apparently excellent.

wonkylegs Mon 13-May-13 09:52:11

I'm an architect and know a lot about buildings, can professionally asses most things but we have just paid for a homebuyers survey for our new house. £350 all in. The reason we got one is that a) we have somebody else to blame if anything does crop up. B) it's easy to miss /underestimate stuff when you are emotionally invested in it.
£350 seems to be worth the peace of mind on a well over 1/2 a million pound investment.

wonkylegs Mon 13-May-13 09:58:05

Ghost writer - with surveys it's not always that you get what you pay for.
A small independent one man band RICs surveyor (like we've got) will almost definitely be far cheaper than a large firm. With a one man band you also know who will be doing your survey whereas the big expensive firm may just send out the junior person from the office or you might get somebody with better experience. All will be qualified but some will have more experience.
I also find individuals less likely to fuck up than big firms because they understand the importance of word of mouth reputation for repeat business unlike junior employees.
Make sure they are RICs members though as that gives a certain level of competence.

This thread is not accepting new messages.