I have chased to see if they have received the report but they tell me it probably comes via fax and will take 24-48 hours for them to update my case. I have been advised to call again same time tomorrow.
Had a message on my phone today from Nationwide asking me to call re an update to my mortgage. When I called there was nothing on my records and the case was still suspended but I should call again in 15 minutes in case someone was still typing on my file. So, I called again, got through security yet again and explained everything again! Was told the surveyor had not recommended the property... hang on - they were clearly reading the old report. They've had to chase via panel services who confirmed that they will fax the revised surveyor report over but that there is a backlog. Now I have to call again later today to see if this has happened so that my case can be progressed and passed to the underwriters. Nightmare! I will never use a call centre for a mortgage ever again.
Hope your mortgage gets sorted quickly. We had shocking service from Nationwide - we have banked with them for over 20 years, had another mortgage with them, all paid off, and just wanted a very small new mortgage to enable us to get a buy-to-let property . We had over two thirds cash & so relatively speaking it was a small amount to borrow against the value of our mortgage free property (about 10% of its value).
It took forever, we were seriously unimpressed. We made a strong complaint afterwards and got three bottles of wine .
Things are not looking good. Just called for an update and my case has been suspended again and notes from the underwriters to say that they are unable to proceed with my application as the property is not suitable security to lend on!!! WTF! I am actually going to cry!
Oh Cuddy that is shity!!! It's like everything that would have gone wrong in the underwriting circle did. Hope they sort it out for you tomorrow. We need some good news from you soon and I have a feeling you will finish this week on high.
Me too. DH is going to call today, and see if it can be done ASAP. Shame about the bank holiday, its just going to delay everything even more Originally, I had been looking at today to give nursery and landlords our notice (obviously had we had offer) but thats not happening. I can see there is going to be an overlap, which means I will be paying rent and mortgage and two different nurseries for at least a week, possibly even more
Pretty even after we received the mortgage offer we dare not give LL notice until we exchange! It could FTB nerves maybe since all searches have been completed, only one response to enquiries left and then exchange; surely we can give notice now? I too dread the crossover where mortgage and rent will happen at the same time.
It was something we didnt take into account for either i am petrified! just want to know either way. my eldest will have to move school to, would prefer her to have a little time at the new school before holidays and youngest starts after summer too. cant buy uniform etc i knew it was stressful but come on