Property help!

(42 Posts)
rstuk Wed 10-Apr-13 20:19:16

House 1
House 2
Project vs. Ready-made, help me decide?

Crutchlow35 Thu 11-Apr-13 08:10:08

House 1 but be careful what you spend. Your EPC is shocking.

No 1, couldn't live in a fugly house like No 2!

NotMostPeople Thu 11-Apr-13 08:23:16

Don't forget that it's the difference between the current and potential figures in the EPC that are relevant.

MoreBeta Thu 11-Apr-13 08:31:25

House 1 but only if you have the money to do it properly and get people in to do it for you. It is not a DIY job.

Can resolve the parking issue? No parking will put nearly every buyer off when you come to sell but on street or permitted resident parking is fine.

You must keep those original features.

purplewithred Thu 11-Apr-13 08:34:41

House 1 all the way BUT it sounds more like £50k or even £75k to me rather than £20K (reconfigure all the kitchen rooms and new kitchen, convert attic to 2 rooms + bathroom, make first floor 3 beds 1 ensuite 1 decent bathroom. Also strongly suspect electrics and plumbing will need a lot of work, there won't be a spec of insulation anywhere, all those windows need sorting etc. And possibly a spot of decorating.)

Hugely impressed at the price and moving to Carlisle immediately BTW.

Jaynebxl Thu 11-Apr-13 08:36:24

While house 1 has the potential to be stunning there are definite downsides so I would probably be more keen on house 2 despite it not having the same character. Firstly I would pick detached over terraced any day ... I've lived in an old terraced house and had to endure the noise from the neighbours in ways that become so annoying - radio / tv / music in the lounge, kitchen and bedrooms. Secondly I think I would come to hate the parking situation on house 1 while house 2 has a drive. Thirdly house 1 would be a money pit ... Old houses take up so much money!

However if the look of the house is more important than the practicality house 1 wins hand down on potential at least.

SoupDragon Thu 11-Apr-13 09:08:11

House 1. Mainly because house 2 is soulless and ugly.

MoreBeta Thu 11-Apr-13 13:22:15

Jayne - just two days ago I bought an old, terraced house with on street parking. This gives me so much comfort:

"I've lived in an old terraced house and had to endure the noise from the neighbours in ways that become so annoying - radio / tv / music in the lounge, kitchen and bedrooms. Secondly I think I would come to hate the parking situation on house 1 while house 2 has a drive. Thirdly house 1 would be a money pit ... Old houses take up so much money!

<puts fingers in ears and wonders if it is too late to pull out> grin

pippy1958 Thu 11-Apr-13 16:22:00

So...what are you going to do? Would love to know!

trikken Thu 11-Apr-13 17:21:56

You get used to the noise tho MoreBeta. We did. Tho that noise does sound above the normal amount so may be were extra noisy neighbours?

Jaynebxl Thu 11-Apr-13 17:27:38

Haha sorry Morebeta!

It's the computer games that got me. Our mid 30s neighbour spent a lot of time on his game something playing some kind of racing thing so it sounded like we lived next to brands hatch with the cars whizzing round bends!

noddyholder Thu 11-Apr-13 17:46:59

1 definitely

ILikeBirds Thu 11-Apr-13 17:54:37

Number 2

Victorian Houses are overrated imo. They seem very loved on mumsnet but in this area they're usually cheaper than other comparably sized houses e.g. 4 bed 115k

noddyholder Thu 11-Apr-13 17:59:50

You would need to love the sort of interior in house 2 though otherwise to rip it all out as I would do would cost you loads and if you like house 1 with your heart you are unlikely to like that sort of decor

noddyholder Thu 11-Apr-13 18:01:08

I think house 1 would be more like 40k to sort out though

lalalonglegs Thu 11-Apr-13 18:06:39

I didn't even look at the houses - whichever one is the project and closer to town.

rstuk Fri 12-Apr-13 01:08:01

Sorry about the late replies I'm slowly getting my way and it should be House 1
thank you for all the advice thanks
Hopefully i'll be MN'ing from my money bit soon grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now