So angry at estate agent. Should I do anything?

(172 Posts)
TerrysNo2 Mon 08-Apr-13 10:43:44

We put our house on the market last week using the price the estate agent recommended and we have had about 20 viewings in the last week but no offers.

Today one of the agents said to me it might be priced a bit high, I replied that they told us what price to use angry angry

What should we do? Drop the price straight away or leave it a bit longer. Its currently on at £340k and so I assume we'd need to drop it to 320-325k.

We're not in a massive rush to move but DS is starting school in September and we're moving area so I would like to be moved before then.

sorry if this post is a bit messy, I need a rant and maybe some positive suggestions / thoughts. Its constantly on my mind at the moment and I am losing sleep over this

Thanks!

TerrysNo2 Mon 08-Apr-13 20:51:02

thanks thebest (good short form name!) the opinions are at least, very consistent! smile

TerrysNo2 Mon 08-Apr-13 20:51:19

poocatcher fingers crossed!!!

TerrysNo2 Mon 08-Apr-13 21:27:49

picture rubbish as it's evening and on my phone but what do you think...

t.co/efP3TrSz8p Decluttered

TerrysNo2 Mon 08-Apr-13 21:30:54

I've moved Winnie the pooh now too grin

MarthasHarbour Mon 08-Apr-13 21:38:36

Could i have a PM too please? We have recently moved and sold ours quite quickly, we did a lot of shoving things into drawers, which with a 3yo was no easy task! Also hid lots of clutter in the garden shed/car boot/MIL's attic!! grin

TerrysNo2 Mon 08-Apr-13 21:41:11

have pm-ed Martha

Grannylipstick Mon 08-Apr-13 21:47:19

If the property was over priced you would not have had any viewings.

TerrysNo2 Mon 08-Apr-13 21:54:15

I've cleared the landing too and hidden all the towels into the wardrobe so that looks better too. thanks guys!!! grin grin

DH has agreed to dismantle DS's bed on Thursday, just need to bribe DS back into a toddler bed!! wink

MarthasHarbour Mon 08-Apr-13 22:03:27

Thank you for sharing that with me. i-used to live in a town not far from there beginning with S ending with ton

Your house is beautiful. I agree that you should keep the price and say that you will invite offers, if that is still done.

Positives - your kitchen/diner which i love, and like the fact you have storage in the dining room. Gorgeous garden, big bathroom. Two big double bedrooms.

However, i agree with Lizzy's suggestions about the DCs rooms. The box room looks cramped whereas the nursery looks like it has a lot of wasted space. I know you dont want to mess about but if you really want to move before Sept (our uber straightforward move - only 3 in entire chain took 3 months) i would recommend putting the DC's in the same room and making a study out of the box room - OR swapping the bedrooms round.

I actually think your lounge looks cosy, i would just move the kids toys (sorry! - we had to do this) either into storage in their room or in the car when you get viewings!

I looked at your floorplan - what is in the basement? Could you store some stuff in there for a while? Or if it is used then could you make it into a study and move your bedroom desk?

I think your decluttering is a good start.

Good luck - if we still lived in the area it is a house we would want to look at - lots of character and charm, and cosiness!

ps - love the green stripy decor in the baby's room! smile

thebestpossibletaste Mon 08-Apr-13 22:04:04

Looks tidy there but have you hidden the toy boxes next to the sofa too and the big toy?

TerrysNo2 Mon 08-Apr-13 22:07:59

thebest we've kept the one tippy box but moved the blue square one and will love the big toy if we have any viewings. it looks loads bigger in here!

we will be moving the DC's around on Thursday.

the basement is full of stuff!! we are going to rent some storage and move some stuff out of there too.

I am thinking of having an open house on Saturday.

TerrysNo2 Mon 08-Apr-13 22:08:22

tippy = toy!

thebestpossibletaste Mon 08-Apr-13 22:10:22

Good idea with the open house.

I really think for when you have viewings all the toys and toy boxes need to disappear from sight.

TerrysNo2 Mon 08-Apr-13 22:13:59

OK thanks thebest I will try!

olivertheoctopus Mon 08-Apr-13 22:14:33

I assume you got more than one agent to value it? Where did they pitch the price?

MarthasHarbour Mon 08-Apr-13 22:14:57

Well done on swapping the DCs round. I know its a hassle but it will be worth it.

I also think clearing out the basement will be an excellent idea. Buyers need to see that there is a 'potential' room. You know - they might think about converting the cellar to a den/playroom, and if it is devoid of clutter then they can see what space they have to work with.

Good luck - keep us informed smile

formicaqueen Mon 08-Apr-13 22:18:26

If you haven't sign a contract you are not tied in.

When you got various estate agents round - what price did the different agencies suggest?

How much research did you do beforehand? How much do properties sell for on your road and what is the current climate in your area?

We had quite a few estate agent quotes when selling ours - 7 in total (bit over board!). The house was sold for 162k but the bottom quote was 140k (much much lower then all the others estate agents quoted) and the top quote was an inflated 175k.

The way I see it, the estate agent who gave us the bottom quote needed quick sales as they only had one office. They knew pricing our house low would make it walk off the market quickly.

The estate agents who gave us the highest quote just wanted our business but i knew that the price they gave was inflated and unrealistic.

In the end we marked it at a fair mid price of 165k and got 162k. We chose the estate agents we liked the best but dictated the price we wanted to sell at.

TerrysNo2 Mon 08-Apr-13 22:23:25

I said earlier in the thread I only got one quote but I am quite sensible and I did some research myself so I think the price is OK. have decided (thanks to the positivity on this thread) to try to improve the place rather than drop the price just yet! smile

ivykaty44 Mon 08-Apr-13 22:24:13

Today one of the agents said to me it might be priced a bit high, I replied that they told us what price to use

If you have had 20 viewings then the estate agents should have telephoned every viewer and found out what the feed back was- they shouldn't have nights and maybes they should know why each of the 20 people were not interested in offering up an offer on the house.

Get back to the estate agent and ask them to give you feed back from the 20 viewings and then you will contact them on Friday to see what you have decided

Then come back to us on here

formicaqueen Mon 08-Apr-13 22:26:13

If you haven't signed already, get some more quotes on the house value. You probably need some clarification.

TerrysNo2 Mon 08-Apr-13 22:35:46

they did give some feedback, some people said it was too small, some didn't like the road (it's not a busy road but there is a royal mail delivery office opposite us and a railway line at the back of the garden). A couple have said the third bedroom is to small stop hopefully we can make that look better when we swap the DC's!

HermioneHatesHoovering Mon 08-Apr-13 22:40:24

You need to remember that the agent is only working for one person, THEMSELVES!
Do not kid yourself that they are working for you.

steppemum Mon 08-Apr-13 22:41:22

As I recall, EA can put their % in different ways. We had 3 round to give us valuations and went with the middle one, because we liked them.

BUT the most expensive had an interesting contract. The % they took as their fee was a % of the ORIGINAL asking price not the SALE price.
So price it high for the money, then reduce it to sell.

Jaynebxl Tue 09-Apr-13 06:35:03

How long do houses typically take to sell in your area? Round here it is really fast but I still wouldn't think of reducing after a week. I would, however, get the EA to subtly mention to viewers that they think you may be open to lower offers. It doesn't seem to me like the price is too big an issue if people are still coming to view, although we found that some people viewed when our house would have massively over stretched them. I do think it must be something about what they find when they get to your house so maybe something you can change, like Lizzy said. Happy to read the particulars if you want to pm me.

Jaynebxl Tue 09-Apr-13 06:36:51

Steppemum we came across exactly that with our last house ... It means you know they will always hugely overprice houses to get more money but don't care how much you get for it in the end, so long as they get the sale. There's one particular national EA who do that and who I wouldn't touch with a barge pole.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now