How does my house look?

(34 Posts)
MovingOut2013 Thu 04-Apr-13 21:04:14

We've just started marketing our house and I was wondering if I could get some opinions on the house please? What would you do to make it more desirable?

m.flickr.com/#/photos/94666234@N07/

Have namechanged for this so not to out myself. Thanks in advance.

MovingOut2013 Fri 05-Apr-13 18:39:22

It's a 'not ever accumulating' situation! grin

It really bugs me, even the cushions in the photos bug me, they serve no purpose and would be better off in the bin.

I probably need help. blush

fuckwittery Fri 05-Apr-13 17:35:50

or not ever accumulating clutter!

fuckwittery Fri 05-Apr-13 17:35:35

I am v impressed OP! You are clearly the queen of decluttering!

MovingOut2013 Fri 05-Apr-13 09:13:02

This is a house with a young child, 2 men (DH and friend currently lodging with us) and a dog! It's pretty much always this sparse, I think I have OCD tendancies! grin

Am going to try moving things about and taking new photos today. Will upload them later and see what you think.

Both levels of the garden are ours, maybe a photo from an upstairs window would be better? The fence has only just been put up and painted but it does seem nore orange in the photo than in real life! We have 4 pots planted with bright primroses at the moment, maybe I should move them about abit. We are more than likely going into rented for a short time after selling with most of our stuff going into storage so cheap plants I can leave or just bin would be ideal!

The living room is a little small (one of the reasons we are selling) but I will try different angles for the photo.

Hopefully will get some feedback later today from the viewing we had yesterday.

Will be back later, hopefully with new and improved pictures! smile

yomellamoHelly Fri 05-Apr-13 08:07:35

Worst feature is the garden I think. Second painting fence and maybe buying some potted plants (can take with you) to soften it up a bit further and move seating so more of a focus?
Otherwise would definitely change photo of bathroom. Only room inside that would put me off. Would want to redo with shower over bath I think as it looks really cramped.
Generally I would move the desk or cot out the third bedroom for a photo and then move it back in. Would also think about flowers / cushions / rugs / art everywhere to cosy it up and improve your lighting in the lounge. (We bought uplighters which we left switched on for viewings.) Can't believe you have so little stuff. Your house looks quite plain in the photos.
House looks in great nick though and love your kitchen, so really is only peripherals to get it sold quickly.

AlwaysReadyForABlether Fri 05-Apr-13 07:33:50

I agree with painting the garden fence as it's not really something you want as a feature. I wouldn't go for a white though - maybe a soft greeny gray.
If you take a photo of the bathroom so you're facing the long side of the bath would you still be able to see the shower cibicle in the corner? That might look better although I don't think a bathroom photo is essential.
If you can pull the bed over a bit in the blue bedroom as it does look like you can't get round the far side. Also move the dining room table so you can get right round it. A vase of flowers on the table would also brighten it up - maybe some red tulips to go with the other accents on the kitchen.
A different angle for the living room photo would be good. Even from up a step ladder if that helps show the room size better. And maybe add some cosiness with a couple of cushions or a throw. They could be in creams to keep it neutral and don't have to be expensive - Matalan have some lovely ones.
I am nit picking though. I think it looks great overall and nothing I've said would put me off viewing it if it was in my price range or area.
Good luck!

ThereGoesTheYear Fri 05-Apr-13 07:08:00

I'm not clear on whether the bit at the top of the stairs is your garden too?

kotinka Fri 05-Apr-13 05:50:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

fuckwittery Fri 05-Apr-13 05:46:42

A row of little flower pots down the steps would look good and soften the harshness of the steps. Agree with painting fence white.
Definitely take cot out of office room.

Styling - flowers or books on your coffee table in the lounge
Couple of cushions on the sofa
The shower bath thing doesn't bother me personally.
I like the blue bedroom

Where is all your STUFF woman! This is a home with no children isn't it smile

MerylStrop Fri 05-Apr-13 01:47:06

Its all a wee bit too stark, like you have gone overboard on the de-cluttering. A few homely touches would help- plants, flowers, books

Kitchen is great, good photo.

Bedroom OR nursery, not both

Need a better angle on the lounge photo at the moment its a photo of your furniture not the space - think about how to make it look as spacious as the kitchen

Agree re Garden, paint fence, some plants in pots, or some kids toys.

Again think about the angle on the photo of bathroom, to make it bigger?

Good luck

herhonesty Fri 05-Apr-13 01:20:37

Paint fence. Move desk. Living room photo looks a little dark.

purplewithred Thu 04-Apr-13 23:14:18

If you can't do plants in the garden can you do a table and chairs or something? Make it seem a bit less bald? Otherwise what everyone else says.

DontSHOUTTTTTT Thu 04-Apr-13 23:08:37

I think it is fine apart from the photo of the bathroom. I would try a few other angles and see if you can get a shot where the shower and bath don't looked so jammed together.
I think the garden looks plain but nice and tidy. Isn't the most homely home but I don't think that matters as it looks vey clean and move-in-able.
Good luck

Could you take a picture of the bathroom from another angle? It looks like a modern, good style bathroom and it'd be a shame to not get viewings because of the cramped looking photo.

Perhaps some colour in the living room, drape a throw over the arm of the sofa, add a few throw cushions.

Painting the fence would help I agree - white would be nice IMO.
Some potted plants so you can take them with you and add some colour/depth with height variation etc.

If you're not using the room for babies then I'd suggest taking the cot out and retaking the picture as an office - people will be able to see that they can put a cot in there instead. You need to get rid of one or the other smile

I'm jealous of how clean your house is!

DiscoDonkey Thu 04-Apr-13 22:04:07

As long as the details describe the seperate bath and shower cubicle then that will give people enough info to encourage them to view. You want them to see enough photo's to entice them in but not enough pictures of every room for them to pick out faults and discount it without looking.

dingit Thu 04-Apr-13 22:02:57

The garden would really put me off. Could you at least paint the orange fence, white or green. And get some plants!

MovingOut2013 Thu 04-Apr-13 21:58:15

This is great thank you! It helps so much to hear others views as to me it's 'home' and what works for us. Will move dining table and add fourth chair. Will also move bed central to artwork.

The agent thought the bathroom pic was good to show that there was a separate shower, the doors slide so access isn't an issue. Maybe this isn't so good.

The study/baby room is used for work and not sleeping babies! It was thought that putting a cot in there was a good idea. If I removed the desk for the photo but it was there for viewings would it still be offputting?

The garden is bad, it's a nice size for the area though and very secure. Will have to think about that one as I don't think all the plants in the world will improve it!

Where would you suggest I put rugs/cushions/throws? I'm not good with stuff like that. smile

I don't think you need an account to view the photos, maybe it's because I posted from my phone?

DiscoDonkey Thu 04-Apr-13 21:42:58

Actually I would take the bathroom picture out altogether. Agree about taking cot out of office space too.

Agree re the dining room table.

KayHunt Thu 04-Apr-13 21:39:10

Could you add a few plants to the garden as I think that's the main thing that lets you down. and the desk should go, it's a confusing room and it makes the room feel too cramped The house is lovely though.

Good luck selling!

intheshed Thu 04-Apr-13 21:37:07

Agree about the dining table, it looks a bit squashed against the wall. Could you move it out and put 4 chairs around it, even if that's not where you usually have it?

Otherwise it looks clean, tidy and nicely decorated smile

crazynanna Thu 04-Apr-13 21:35:52

I can't see the pics. Maybe I need to open an account to see them or something.

Bedroom 3 - ditch the desk. It's either a study or bedroom, not both. Give it purpose.

Garden picture - angle is odd with the fence all massive and tiny chairs in the background.

Garden pic with stairs - I'd get rid of that one.

Liara Thu 04-Apr-13 21:33:22

House looks really nice, but the garden looks very unappealing. Any chance you can buy/borrow a whole bunch of potted plants to make it look a bit more gardenny?

It looks clean and tidy and easy for viewers to imagine their own furniture etc in. Agree that a couple of vases of flowers wouldn't go amiss and I'm not personally enamoured by the 'art' but it's inoffensive.

To me, the garden is the least attractive seeming bit, but not sure what you could do. Maybe some ready potted tubs of daffs?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now