Where to live around Birmingham?

(77 Posts)
Baroozer Tue 02-Apr-13 20:51:07

DH has got a job in the centre of Birmingham so we are going to be moving to that area. Neither of us wants to live in Birmingham, but DH doesn't want a massive commute (40 minutes max, and he'll be travelling in at 7am and out at 7pm so he should hopefully avoid rush hour).

We have DC (oldest is 9) so we're looking for a decent primary school, a decent secondary (it doesn't have to be a grammar) and a friendly neighbourhood. If there was a reasonable gymnastics club nearby that would be a bonus.

DH used to live in Stafford as a child and does not want to go back there for some unfathomable reason. He prefers Worcestershire and Warwickshire, but we can be flexible (apart from the Stafford thing).

Thanks in advance.

Heavywheezing Fri 12-Apr-13 15:35:35

I lived in Hampton in Arden , which is a small village in Solihull, near the airport.

It has a railway station with links to Birmingham. Very quiet and down the road from knowle.

Solihull is lovely, very affluent and good shops and great schools.

Jocabc1974 Thu 13-Feb-14 08:59:02

Hi baroozer, I've just been googling knowle and dorridge as we have to relocate to Birmingham too and I saw your post. Just wondered did you ever make the move and if so where did you and your family decide to settle in the end. I have two children aged 1 and 2 and am coming over from northern Ireland. I would love to hear any advice you cold offer seeing as you were in the same predicament this time last year.
Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now