want to look at the beautiful wood burner that I think dh has just agreed to, plus what do I need to know/think about?

(80 Posts)

Very excited. the red one it is locally made and will look gorgeous.

notasausage Sat 06-Apr-13 20:26:13

Minamilist depends how small you mean by small. My parents have a 4kw in a room that's about 5m x 5m x 2m and it regularly hits 25oC even with the door open. The heat does travel though so you will get the benefit in the rest of the house if you leave the doors open. Does your supplier do home surveys or did you take your room dimensions with you to the showroom. A good supplier should be able to advise on the right size of stove.

A humidity meter is also a good investment as stoves can make the air REALLY dry. You're aiming for 30-50%. A baking tray filled with water on top of or near your stove can help. Otherwise you might find you get dry throat, headaches and other symptoms. Our laminate all has all shrunk away from the joints at the door openings but we have a 9kw double double grin. It is double sided so heats our large living room, hall and some of upstairs.

JonesH Tue 23-Apr-13 10:09:58

Wow that red one is beautiful!! We've just had this Stove put in! Hopefully will look quite elegant when room is all done up!

HumphreyCobbler Tue 23-Apr-13 10:18:17

We have two woodburners and they are our only source of heating. I don't find them too much work at all, we only burn wood but we do have lots of space to store wood outside and inside. I do have to trek to the woodshed with a wheelbarrow daily. They work extremely well and only need clearing out every few weeks.

MinimalistMommi Tue 23-Apr-13 14:35:11

Is the OP still here? I've been wondering how she's getting on with her stove?

Foundapound Tue 23-Apr-13 14:40:51

Lovely! That's pretty local to us too, might think about that for our 2nd one. Am amazed at how many negatives have been posted here! We love the one we have, it's not much hassle to use at all, and we manage to grow our own wood in our quite large but not crazy big garden (ash grows quickly and burns well, but we've had enough other overgrown trees to keep us going for 9 years).
Enjoy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now