want to look at the beautiful wood burner that I think dh has just agreed to, plus what do I need to know/think about?

(80 Posts)

Very excited. the red one it is locally made and will look gorgeous.

janek Wed 03-Apr-13 16:20:17

Does it have a slide-out plate underneath? Ours does, with all kinds of information on it. Also, afaik, a multifuel burner will have a grate for the ash to fall through (and maybe a seperate ash can for emptying?), a woodburner just has a flat bed of ash.

ihatethecold Wed 03-Apr-13 17:16:52

Definitely no double glass.
Underneath where I put the logs is a grate so the ashes can go into a pull out ash compartment.
There are no markings anywhere on the burner, I have checked because I need some spare parts for it.

janek Thu 04-Apr-13 18:07:38

I reckon it's multi fuel then. Ours doesn't have a grate and is just a woodburner. It can be turned into a multifuel one though, i magine they just add a grate...

Cezzy Thu 04-Apr-13 18:12:52

We are moving and I am so going to miss ours, but make sure it's installed by a HETAS installer and you get a certificate, or you get building regs approval as you could have problems later (we have just had hassle sorting this out as it can't be done retrospectively and building regs can get funny). We have also been advised that if you don't have these it can invalidate your house insurance.

MinimalistMommi Thu 04-Apr-13 18:26:56

Cezzy can I just check with you, is it an either/or thing? Either maker sure its installed by a HETAS installer and get a certificate OR make sure you get building regs? Am I right in understanding you don't need both of those things?

Cezzy Thu 04-Apr-13 19:35:31

Yes, that's what we were told. We installed ours ourselves as DH is good at that sort of thing so we should have had building regs. Lots of friends of ours have done he same, so you can do either/or. The company you buy from should also be able to advise you. You should also have a carbon monoxide alarm fitted (ours was about £20 from a local DIY store).

its is a hetas fitter, and he gets it signed off as well I think.

PigletJohn Fri 05-Apr-13 10:06:32

I don't know about fitting stoves, but for notifiable electrical work, it is generally much more expensive and troublesome to apply for Building Regs approval and pay for the inspection, than to have the work done and certificated by a member of a Competent Persons scheme who is qualified to issue the certificate and notify.

MinimalistMommi Fri 05-Apr-13 12:14:43

We will definitely have ours installed by a HETAS installer and get the certificate.

I have chosen reclaimed stone hearth and brick back, they said if the brick wasnt in good nick they would render it, cant decide whether to have a mantle or not.

MinimalistMommi Fri 05-Apr-13 17:26:38

I guess you need to think what would go best with the rest of your decor? Have you got a modern house or a more tradtional house? Have you tried looking on somewhere like Pinterest for inspiration? A swell as searching 'wood burner' try searching 'cottage' as loads of images will come up of cottage living rooms with different styles of woodburners.

MinimalistMommi Fri 05-Apr-13 17:29:12

I'm personally going for a lovely wooden mantle, but I live in a tiny Victorian terraced cottage so I think it will suit the room as they decor will be cottage style (not twee!) but modern too if that makes sense.

definatly not moder, victorian terrace and done in dark colours and chandeliers type decor.

PigletJohn Fri 05-Apr-13 17:43:05

if not, where will you put your china dogs and christmas stockings?

It also prevents dust-staining on the wall above.

No mirror, though.

MinimalistMommi Fri 05-Apr-13 17:48:54

dita I might have got confused with the terms, I'm having a bit of wood actually put into the wall above the woodburner, so I won't be able to put anything on it. Here's a pic, scroll down until you cute woodburner! www.cottage-holiday-wales.co.uk/fro-crickhowell-cottage.shtml

I think it will have that, but he said I could have a sticky out one as well.

MinimalistMommi Fri 05-Apr-13 17:52:27

grin how soon will your woodburner be happening?

apparently they have a cancelation for next week, so it could possibly be happening very soon (assuming I can get a credit card in that time frame I have no idea how long that will take)

WEdnesday, I am getting it on wednesday, reclaimed stone hearth, brick back adn beautiful red stove. in 3 days grin just been out with the dogs and collected loads of wood.

notasausage Sat 06-Apr-13 15:58:56

Get a flue thermometer. We have a stovax one from Amazon. They fit with a magnet to the little bit of exposed flue above the stove and tell you whether it is operating at the right temperature. Too hot and you can damage your stove (our glass has bubbled where it got too hot) too cold and you're not burning your fuel efficiently. Needs some practice to get it the control right but it will help you maintain your stove and they're expensive items so worth looking after.

We have a Woodwarm which are handmade in the UK and very highly recommended by several installers (and our chimney sweep).

Multi fuel stoves need an air inlet below the grate for burning smokeless fuel. We were advised not to put coal on ours because it burns hotter and more explosively than smokeless. The top air inlet should be closed. For wood, the bottom inlet should be closed (except maybe a little blast to get it going) and the air should come in from the top.

If you're room is small it will get VERY hot so you'll be leaving the room door open. Make sure you get good advice about the size you buy - its as much about the size of the space you're heating as about the size of the space you have to put it in.

Enjoy being toasty!

MinimalistMommi Sat 06-Apr-13 18:00:15

notasausage we have two small reception rooms in our Victorian terraced cottage, we're thinking Of getting a 5 kW stove in the front room, I'm hoping if we leave the door open the heat should travel through to the dining room so the front room doesn't get stupidly hot.....

MinimalistMommi Sat 06-Apr-13 18:01:06

dita you said about collecting wood make sure you put seasoned wood in your new stove so it burns properly.

minimilist sounds like a similar lay out to mine, the wood was off the floor an only for kindling. smile

MinimalistMommi Sat 06-Apr-13 18:31:22

dita I don't really know what I'm talking about grin
Your stove sounds lovely, did you get a 5kw one and is it in your front room?

he he, yes it is a 5kw, it is going to be in the dining room, layout is outshot kitchen, dining room then lounge at the front but quite small so I am hoping the whole of downstairs will be warm enough, and it has the magic self cleaning glass. just been making my wood pile in the cellar, am very excited, bought some fire logs from home nargains as well, 99p each and it says they burn for over 2 hours. Women in the fireplace shop said to chop them in half and use them to light the fire.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now