Feedback on my rightmove listing (glasgow) pls?

(41 Posts)
FergusSingsTheBlues Thu 28-Mar-13 12:29:59

Just wondering if anybody could kindly offer me some feedback on my listing?

Im for sale through online ea. neighbour is on market through high street ea.

Our flats are v similar, pricing is 5k different.

His is student flat, mine is a family home.....he is getting viewings, i think about five since 18th feb, ive had two since 28th.....

We are adjacent to eachother on rightmove and S1....

Other than ea being v proactive (do they really call up people registered with them?), I dont understand why nobody is coming to see my house...according to conversion rate from stats, im at 4%....i think my pictures are ok...just wondering if Im highlighting the wrong rooms on the listing?

Or if I truly should be going with high street? We know theres only really a six week window of action, and dont want to miss out...any advice would be great.

Mine..
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-37798342.html?premiumA=true

His....
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-40675511.html?premiumA=true

7to25 Wed 17-Apr-13 20:06:44

Hi Fergus, I showed your thread and rightmove posting to my friend who is a west end landlord and a bit of a property guru.
She felt that your listing was spot on and your flat was beautiful but that your market would be buy-to-letters.
She suggested getting an HMO licence for your flat and had some ideas about how to do it as cheaply as possible. She felt that the area and the position on the second floor would be a deterrent to family buyers.

ILikeBirds Fri 29-Mar-13 06:25:32

Someone mentioned the student neighbours. People may be put off your flat by the neighbours flat if it looks like a place that would be let out to sharers. So your neighbours flat may be restricting viewers but not because they are viewing that flat instead. A harder problem to solve

Your flat is lovely. Everything looks in better condition. Bathroom lovely etc.

I think that maybe he is getting more views as people are looking to offer lowball prices and think that the person that owns his flat judging by his decor would be more likely to accept below asking price rather than yours.....

Market is slow, we're selling in Merchant City at the moment and we get a lot of speculative views and silly low offers. I think the market is geared towards renting at the moment.

beatricequimby Thu 28-Mar-13 21:11:04

I sold a flat not far from you a couple of years ago.

If you go with a high street estate agent they do phone people up and get them round to your flat but in my experience most of these viewers aren't really interested. Genuine buyers look on Rightmove themselves, so I wouldn't worry about that..

I think the market is really, really slow at the moment. And being honest I think your flat is overpriced. I know Hillhead has come up relative to other areas of the West End recently but a lot of people are wary of it because of the potential for lots of student neighbours. I hope I am wrong and you get the price you want for it but I do wonder if you might be better to drop your price to below the stamp duty threshold if you really want to sell. Sorry!

saintmerryweather Thu 28-Mar-13 18:55:38

Your ds bedroom looks tiny, can you take his little rug up.so theres only carpet? The wallpaper and bedspread are a bit busy to have the rug there too. i prefer the decor in the other flat because its less personal than yours but then again youre selling a family home and your neighbour isnt

Jollyb Thu 28-Mar-13 18:50:20

Shower curtain back in the bathroom - cleaner and less fussy.

Dress the other bedrooms to make them look like bedrooms.

Yours looks much nicer but I agree with the other poster who said that people might look at the wallpaper and red carpet and think 'that's money I'm going to have to spend when I move in'.

Good luck

Crutchlow35 Thu 28-Mar-13 18:47:07

Thanks. What are the home report valuations?

lalalonglegs Thu 28-Mar-13 18:41:54
lalalonglegs Thu 28-Mar-13 18:40:29

It is bad luck that a neighbour is selling his identically-sized flat at a similar price. You are probably going to find that lots of people will want to visit both of you regardless of the photographs and make up their mind when they view. I'm not convinced that #5k will make that much difference as the student flat would need upgrading to make it a family home and a BTL investor is unlikely to want yours as they would need to spend money depersonalising it. I think both of you will struggle to get over the stamp duty threshold as, from what I understand, the o/o guide doesn't work terribly well in most neighbourhoods these days. I do agree that the bedroom photo would look better with the bed turned and the curtains should be drawn in the bathroom. I would also put the rug down in the living room. There is a photo of a garden but very little mention of it in the particulars - I think that would be a godsend if I had children in that block so maybe have "Large communal gardens" put in the bullet points. Perhaps get a photo of it on the ground rather than from above, it might look more interesting from eye level.

Crutchlow35 Thu 28-Mar-13 18:36:09

Can someone do the links please?

7to25 Thu 28-Mar-13 16:51:30

I have just looked around rightmove and S1 for things around your price.
Look at how Corum west end photograph quite ordinary properties
And then look at yours.
I do not work for them, by the way!
I am convinced that you need better photographs.

FergusSingsTheBlues Thu 28-Mar-13 16:22:01

Just realised...my ceilings are actually 3.5m high, which is possibly why the rooms look smaller?

FergusSingsTheBlues Thu 28-Mar-13 16:07:05

Alright, thanks everybody, much appreciated....going to show my husband this thread later to work through your suggestions.

Its v hard to see your home through critical eyes, so I appreciate the input.

I had no idea the smallest bedroom looked tiny, in reality its 3.5m x 3m so not that small.

Re lounge rug, we do have a persian rug down normally but took it up for the pix.

External pix and floor plans seem to be unanimous, so will get onto the agent now.

FairPhyllis Thu 28-Mar-13 15:58:47

I think your flat is lovely. The only things I would recommend you change would be to add a floor plan with dimensions and change the angle of the photos in the smaller bedrooms so you can see how big they are. And maybe take the mats and scales out of the bathroom and pull the curtains back. I think the kitchen is fine.

It's possible the red carpet in the living room is frightening some people - could you put a large rug down and maybe rearrange the furniture? If all the furniture is clinging to the edges of the room it does look a bit barn like - people are generally surprisingly bad at imagining how they would live in a room unless you do it for them.

It may also be to do with the stamp duty threshold - his may be attracting people who really only want to pay 250K and think they can more realistically put an offer in on his than on yours. If you need a quick sale and you'd be prepared to take 250, then I would list it for a bit less.

iheartdusty Thu 28-Mar-13 15:23:35

Exterior pic - I don't know the area, but if more knowledgeable types say that's your selling point, so be it - but if it's your first shot , presumably it heads up the Rightmove profile, and then isn't there a risk that people will not realise it's a different flat from your neighbour?

ImTooHecsyForYourParty Thu 28-Mar-13 15:14:08

You also need to make your hallway look brighter. It looks really dark atm. Either shine lights or do something, but make it look brighter. take that little bedroom photo from a different angle because it looks tiny.

7to25 Thu 28-Mar-13 15:07:56

OK I am going to be the horrible one and tell you that some of his photos are better than yours and some are worse.
He seems to have wooden floors in some of the rooms, a bonus and his kitchen shows better than yours.
The first picture MUST be of the outside. this will instantly show that you are selling a traditional west end flat. your biggest selling point above all others. Forget trying to distance yourself from next door, it won't work.
I would retake the photos as I think they are letting you down.
A floor plan is a must.
Rearrange bedroom 1 with the bed head to the facing wall. Lose a chest of drawers if needed. carefully dress the bed.
Remove the couch(?) in the hall and possibly another piece of furniture.
Lose all kitchen artwork and excess ornaments.
In the lounge, pull the furniture away from the walls and arrange it carefully. If you can borrow a cheap neutral rug, cover the carpet with it and buy 4 red cushions to put on the couches.
Put a single bed in picture 8
In the bathroom, remove the blue curtain at the window, pull back the shower curtains and remove the clutter from the chest of drawers. Remove the bathroom scales.

carabossse Thu 28-Mar-13 14:47:07

First picture should be the exterior or kitchen. I'd go for kitchen.
Mention school catchment (Hillhead?) For the family market buyers.
(Floor plan, agree.)
I'd mention schools, uni, byres road etc briefly in your opening statement. E.g. xxx flat / family home in quiet residential street close to xxx and in xxx school catchment.

Good luck.

I'd be interested in your thoughts on the online estate agent and who did your home report.

LemonBreeland Thu 28-Mar-13 14:32:25

I used to live along the road form you in Hyndland a few years back.

I would say that your neighbours flat is more neutral than yours. I love your wallpaper in the hall but many might not.

Agree that maybe investors are looking at his flat, rather than family buyers.

The small bedroom definitely needs some sort of bed in it. Even if it is just a cot. It looks like a small unuseable space atm.

squeaver Thu 28-Mar-13 14:28:28

And your decor is lovely, btw.

squeaver Thu 28-Mar-13 14:27:34

Yes, you need a floor plan. And, yes, high st estate agents do phone up people who are registered with them. And I'd think that's especially true in an area like the West End where (rich!) people might be buying flats for their student children and waiting for the right one to come up. So maybe you should reconsider that.

Also I think the adjective "magnificent" is a wee bit trying-too-hard.

I had a boyfriend who lived in Cecil Street when I was at Uni, so this thread has made me feel somewhat nostalgic....

SunsetSongster Thu 28-Mar-13 14:22:28

Also, I don't know what the market is like in Glasgow at the moment but, maybe people think they can get away with offering £250K for the other one (and save on stamp duty) as it's not so nice but that you will definitely be looking for £260K or more.

SunsetSongster Thu 28-Mar-13 14:19:07

I would maybe put your kitchen first - not all Glasgow flats have a kitchen diner so that would be a big plus. I had friends who were selling on the southside and people would turn up for viewings after seeing the floorplan and the pictures and say they didn't like it as it had a galley kitchen. I think your kitchen is MUCH nicer than the other one - it's meant to be kitchens and bathrooms that sell places and yours are lovely.
I'm afraid the wallpaper would put me off a little if there was another plainer property to choose from as you would have to put a lot of effort into stripping the walls (or that is what I think you have to do). I don't think it is anything to stress about at the moment though and if I had to choose over your kitchen + wallpaper over his kitchen + plain walls I would choose yours (I think it looks nice BTW just not my style).

FergusSingsTheBlues Thu 28-Mar-13 13:47:24

I never thought either about the decor being offputting....although all I can realistically do is change shower curtains, remove paintings and put my persian rug back down if the red caroet is rhat bright....

Weve just ad a baby so realistically unable to decorate right now (no energy)

FergusSingsTheBlues Thu 28-Mar-13 13:44:25

The only reason that the exterior is not the main photo is that myneighbours have done that and we are trying to put as much distance as possible between us as flats. So its on the listing view but onky as the second picture.

Floorplans are my problem, I already asked and have dowloaded software

Interesting point about the bed, i agree that room looks tiny....luckily i have a cot....could make it look like a bed and give the illusion of a massive room...smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now