Grants for replacement boiler - are these too good to be true?

(10 Posts)
rockinhippy Wed 27-Mar-13 14:18:43

Actually I've just remembered, we had our boiler replaced by warm front contractors too, though not on the scheme, I did qualify at the time as DD was tiny & new new babies qualified you back then BUT we badly needed our weirdly placed boiler moving & they weren't allowed to do that under the WFS, just replace & update etc

even though our boiler was very old & by today's standards illegally placed, WF wouldn't sign off the job if they moved the boiler to another roomhmm - the contractor did try hard, as did DH, but we gave up & paid in the end - so again a WFS contractor & in a completely different area to my DPs & we've had no problems at all, they did a lovely job & were more than helpful

From my quick research it looked like the grants were still available, but the green deal is for people who don't qualify for the grant.

AliceWChild Wed 27-Mar-13 13:28:17

Is is green deal now instead? Not free but offset against energy savings so no cash needed.

That's good to know, rockin.

rockinhippy Wed 27-Mar-13 11:31:51

My parents had their new (new build own home) boiler replaced by warm front as it was badly fitted, poor quality & pretty useless, they qualified as my DM is disabled & they had nothing but praise for the Warm Front contractor that did the work, that was a few years ago too & they've not had a problem since

Warm front ended in January I think - this is something different I'm led to believe?

PigletJohn Wed 27-Mar-13 10:57:54

From what I hear, the work gets done by Warmfront and there are opinions about its quality.

It appears that because the householder is not choosing the contractor, or paying the bill himself, standards slip.

Ooh thanks! Hope they are real.

We're having a survey done as we're on a low income and could qualify - I hope it's not too good to be true!

Does anyone have any experience of using a government grant to get a boiler replaced? It seems as if they are available for people in receipt of benefits and I just wondered if they were legitimate or too good to be true?

Thanks! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now