Anyone else in Ireland received their property tax valuation thingy yet?

(14 Posts)
bran Tue 26-Mar-13 21:48:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NuhichNuhaymuh Tue 26-Mar-13 21:51:08

Don't think so. it seems to be based on the area, which is obviously going to be way off for some houses in the area (such as mine!)

You can appeal, though I've heard a vicious rumour you have to pay up first, the appeal.

bran Tue 26-Mar-13 22:03:23

lalalonglegs Tue 26-Mar-13 22:41:08

Ignorant, non Irish person here. So, you're being made to pay a tax on your houses? Is it a one-off or will it become an annual thing? And what sort of percentage of the value is it? Sorry, can't be any help, just interested.

bran Tue 26-Mar-13 22:45:11

lalalonglegs Tue 26-Mar-13 22:56:02

Ouch - sorry about that.

bran Tue 26-Mar-13 23:22:08

LittleFrieda Wed 27-Mar-13 08:42:11

Interesting. It sounds well designed so that there won't be too much distortion around the €1M mark.

What are stamp duty rates in Ireland?

I'm sure the UK is watching with interest and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a similar thing implemented here, to satisfy the thirst or mansion tax.

bran Wed 27-Mar-13 11:29:17

LittleFrieda Wed 27-Mar-13 17:45:08

Bran - yes, it creates distortions in the market. I think they are going to have to axe higher rate stamp duty here if they bring in a mansion tax. I hope they follow the Irish system and axe stamp duty altogether and bring in a property tax.

turkeyboots Wed 27-Mar-13 17:50:38

Little it is basically council tax they are bringing in, as there has been no local taxes or water rates in Ireland for decades now. Seems a more sensible approach to how council tax is set here though.

minibmw2010 Wed 27-Mar-13 18:37:06

My mum lives in Carlow and hasn't had a letter at all. None of her friends have either, it's like the whole town has been forgotten about (though they know there are 10 exempt ghost estates in the area).

lalalonglegs Wed 27-Mar-13 18:52:10

So, if you don't have an equivalent of council tax, how did/do local authorities pay for things?

As you know, we already pay council tax in the UK, plus stamp duty when we move - I can't see SD being phased out because, unpopular as it is, it's just one of those things that we've learnt to put up with and a nice little earner for the government that has conveyancing solciitors do all the work in terms of calculations and collections while it just waits for the money to roll in. By my calculations, it would take 22 years for me to pay the equivalent in a local tax at .18% as it would for me to pay SD at 4% plus a heap more money in administration and collection.

turkeyboots Wed 27-Mar-13 19:26:16

I think there are business rates and money from central government, and you have to pay for bin collection either to LA or private companies.

My mother hasn't had her letter either, I'll hear the ranting across the Irish sea,when she does.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now