Dog flap in an external wall. Possible?

(6 Posts)
doglover Tue 26-Mar-13 19:34:31

We are in the process of moving house and our next property has no obvious door for a dog flap. Having had the convenience of one for the last 20 years, we (let alone our dogs!) couldn't contemplate NOT having one. The kitchen has plenty of outside walls which could have a dog flap put in to access the back garden but I'm not even sure if this can be done?! I assume it would be like a little tunnel? Would this be something that a builder would need to do? TIA

BornToFolk Tue 26-Mar-13 19:38:04

I had a cat flap put through an external wall in my old house (Victorian terrace so walls were not thin!) A handyman did it. We got a standard cat flap but with lots of extension pieces to make it into a tunnel.
In retrospect, it perhaps was not the best idea as it might have put people off when buying the house as it would have been a pain to block up again.

doglover Tue 26-Mar-13 19:47:08

That's true, BTF. We need to consider that carefully.

We viewed a house a while back where they had a dog flap in the external wall. It was big - maybe a foot in height? And a little tunnel like. The flap had fallen off so it was literally a hole in the wall. The estate agent called it one of the house's 'unique' features! It didn't put us off on its own but there were quite a few 'unique' features that certainly didn't help!

PragmaticWench Wed 27-Mar-13 08:41:40

Depending on the size, it could put people in mind of a burglar-flap. It would me anyway.

BoBoo Wed 27-Mar-13 11:56:01

Isn't there a door you can put it in? We had a similar problem with a cat flap and ended putting it in the double glazed doors. Expensive, but worth it as it stopped all the arguments we were having about letting the cats in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now