North facing garden - how much sun?

(10 Posts)
mrsclip Wed 27-Mar-13 15:13:22

Thank you everyone for your thoughts. Will ponder...

FlatCapAndAWhippet Tue 26-Mar-13 20:59:39

We had a north facing garden at our old house, it was huge (long), big trees at the end. It always seemed to have sunshine on some part of it during the day up until around 4pm, apart from the immediate back of the house. The back rooms were quite dark because of this. We now have a south westerley facing garden and what a difference, light, bright, full of sunshine (when it eventually comes) and until around 7pm. A north facing garden would now put me off buying a house.

lalalonglegs Tue 26-Mar-13 20:14:18

Our last house had a north facing garden - I never found the back of the house dark or cold because the windows were very large, that will make a big difference.

I wouldn't be put off by a north-facing garden, it can be planted with beautiful lush shade lovers to look fabulous and it will get enough sun during the summer when you want to spend time out there. I find south-facing gardens a bit oppressively bright though.

DorsetLass Tue 26-Mar-13 20:06:02

Sorry early post! More than the garden light being a problem was the fact that all the rooms at the back were dark and cold - now we've got the opposite it make a huge difference. Worth a thought!

DorsetLass Tue 26-Mar-13 20:04:40

We have always lived in north facing houses (have lived in 4 due to military husband) and have just moved to south west facing house for first time. All the gardens in our north facing houses had a good degree of sunlight for some if the day - but never first thing, and always gone by 3.30pm - so no sunny evening bbqs. More than he garden th

MoreBeta Tue 26-Mar-13 20:00:00

If it has no trees or a big hedge you wil get sun at the end of your garden but a shadow cast by your house. That might not be bad thing in summer as you could have a shady patio or conservatory at the back of the hosue that woudl not get too hot but still enjoy sitting in the sun at the end of the garden.

Depends where abouts in the country too - and whether there is any slope to the garden.

mrsclip Tue 26-Mar-13 13:49:28

Thanks LIZS. It's a terraced Victorian house with 2 floors (as are the neighbours). No trees that I can recall.

LIZS Tue 26-Mar-13 13:24:54

Depends on how close your neighbours are and how high the house and any trees . Ours is 200ft but the 20ft closest to the house only gets full sun for limited time, summer months from 11 to about 7 max

mrsclip Tue 26-Mar-13 13:16:38

We would like to make an offer on a house with a North-facing garden, which is 40ft long. How much sun will the garden get & at what time of day?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now