Please critique my property that's for sale - how would you improve marketing?

(42 Posts)
FreckledLeopard Tue 26-Mar-13 09:34:23

So, the house went on the market on Saturday. No enquiries yet. A floorplan is in the process of being added to the advert.

Could you please give me honest feedback - how can I improve its chances? Also, we don't live there, it's currently rented out, so the photos are from the period before the tenants moved in. Agent says it's possible to go back and get further photos (with furniture etc).

So, any more ideas please?

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-26404206.html

annh Tue 26-Mar-13 10:45:33

Everyone has already made good comments, agree that the details are very confusing and your agent has managed to make what might be a good-sized flat look like a couple of connected cupboards. The bathroom photo needs re-doing because the first thing I thought when I looked was - why are they not showing the actual bath and toilet, are they miniature-sized like the rest of the flat appears to be?

MintyyAeroEgg Tue 26-Mar-13 10:51:22

It really gets my goat when Estate Agents can't be bothered to upload their photos in a logical order on their particulars.

It should go

External shot
Entrance hall/stairs
Living room/dining room
Kitchen
Bedroom 1
Bedroom 2
Bathroom
Garage

And what is wrong with actually labelling the photos so people know which room is which?

Grrrrr. But I had a thread deleted yesterday for criticising the quality of EA photos, so be careful everyone!

anklebitersmum Tue 26-Mar-13 10:58:58

I would put simple, clean furniture & select trimmings in situ to help give a size and 'aspirational' feel. Most people don't use their imagination when viewing a house/flat so you have to do it for them.

Failing that you need to have much better photos-almost 'fish eye' views to show how big the rooms are, be clear about which garage is yours and everyone's right those curtains need to go wink

Also, do you have a decent view? Including a room photo which shows a decent view as part of it helps set properties apart.

NewFerry Tue 26-Mar-13 11:04:30

Agree with others comments, but particularly the first shot should show which is the property for sale. I thought it was the one over the carport rather than the one over the garages.

NewFerry Tue 26-Mar-13 11:18:02

Looking in rightmove, within 1/4 mile of you flats postcode are other 2 bed properties, inc a purpose built 2 bed with own garage that's on for 14K less than yours and 2 bed character props, also costing a lot less.
Your details don't make it clear what your prop is offering for the extra cost.

Is it a particularly brilliant location? Sorry, I don't know Salisbury well enough to identify particular areas.

LandofTute Tue 26-Mar-13 11:23:57

How odd that the photos just show corners of rooms and don't try to show more of the room to give a better idea of size

LandofTute Tue 26-Mar-13 11:25:36

It gives the impression that the rooms are tiny when you just see the corner of it in the photo.

MrsJamin Tue 26-Mar-13 11:26:07

Yeah, I thought it seemed expensive, we've just sold a lovely 2 bed vic terrace in the south east for £15k less.

Viviennemary Tue 26-Mar-13 11:27:32

I think that you need to make the house look lived in. It just looks so bare and empty at the moment and not appealing. It's not even clear which room is the bedroom and which is the living room. But kitchen and bathroom are nice.

ElectricSheep Tue 26-Mar-13 11:46:53

Those photos are terrible

FreckledLeopard Tue 26-Mar-13 11:52:59

Agent going back to the property tomorrow to get a whole load more photos and amend the description. Floorplan will also be done by then. All feedback from this thread (well, most) has gone back to agent so will post revised listing for more comments.

Cambam2010 Wed 03-Apr-13 15:07:59

The rooms having furniture in them does make a difference. Shame you couldn't take the curtains down though!

myron Wed 03-Apr-13 15:32:04

Price will be a big factor if you have no viewings in the 1st week. Sorry if this is not what you want to hear.

FourArms Thu 04-Apr-13 10:05:18

Two kitchen photos?

FreckledLeopard Fri 05-Apr-13 14:37:34

Curtains can come down or be changed when tenants move out. Had one viewing so far. Not sure about how many I should expect or anything really.

Deaglan Fri 24-May-13 11:20:23

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Jadems Fri 24-May-13 12:01:31

I'd probably take some photos without the 'clutter' ie the kitchen roll, and the almost empty handwash in the bathroom, and replace with more managed photos including nice bathroom towels, 'posh handwash' etc, maybe a kitchen aid, funky kettle, aspirational recipe books etc in the kitchen if you can briefly set the 'stage' including items from your own home.

Agree with the advice above about changing duvet covers, curtains etc. Maybe add some lifestyle touches, like glossy magazines on the living room coffee table and some popular literature on the bedside tables.

Sounds a bit silly, but most people need a bit of help seeing themselves living in a property, and stealing a few techniques from the glossies to project a lifestyle will probably help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now