Zone 1-3 people, where do you live?

(121 Posts)
msrisotto Wed 20-Mar-13 22:12:08

And do you earn millions and millions? Or live in the tiniest of flats?? I would love to live in zones 1-3 and have money that would buy me a palace in some places but sadly not in London....

ScreamingFoxtrots Thu 21-Mar-13 15:22:09

We missed it as we were out of the country - DH was gutted as he could have been the man-on-the-ground for the newspaper he works on.

I'm working on lightning never striking twice and therefore we are less likely to suffer a falling helicopter again (not too soon for jokes, but need to say that people did die and it is tragic, but there is black humour to be had).

msrisotto Thu 21-Mar-13 15:28:18

Thank you everyone for enlightening me!

However I have come to the unfortunate self discovery that I must be a bit of a snob because I have a bit of a south London block in my mind. Although it may be because it would take me from within an ok distance from my family to a 'see them twice a year' kind of distance. At the moment I do like my family so that would be a problem.

bigTillyMint Thu 21-Mar-13 16:52:11

Crossing London from where we live to the M1/M4/M40 takes about an hour and we are probably in the furthest away zone 2 area from those London gateways. Does that make it into a twice a year kind of distance?

msrisotto Thu 21-Mar-13 17:00:38

Well it's an hour and a half from Harrow, zone 5, NW where I am now, so it sounds like it would then be 2.5-3 hours in total?

msrisotto Thu 21-Mar-13 17:01:13

Maybe it's already 2 hours, I can't remember. Depends on traffic of course.

GreyGardens Thu 21-Mar-13 17:04:18

Peckham, zone 2, love it, have a house but like others I bought in the 90s when nobody wanted to live here. Now it is in danger of becoming too trendy and <shudder> the new Dalston. It has certainly up and come, most 3 beds in my neghbourhood go for c. £600k.

bigTillyMint Thu 21-Mar-13 17:49:25

3 hours is a twice a year journey?shock!

msrisotto Thu 21-Mar-13 19:25:07

Lol, well it would mean that they'd virtually never come to me, I would always have to go to them so obviously i'd see them more than twice a year but it'd piss me off that I was always the one making the effort. grin

msrisotto Thu 21-Mar-13 19:25:37

Oh god just realised I said lol, bit of a mn crime isn't it? Sorry!

ScreamingFoxtrots Thu 21-Mar-13 19:55:32

The A406 is a known barrier to parents visiting grown up children in London. My in-laws live just outside the M25 and have visited us here once in 6 years! It's a price worth paying in my eyes grin

Seriously, have a look south of the river, you may be pleasantly surprised!

Mintyy Thu 21-Mar-13 19:57:14

Well hello Tilly smile.

Iknowwhatyouredoing Fri 22-Mar-13 01:11:39

We live in zone 1, about 5min from Warren St in an ex-LA flat. Definitely not millionaires here grin, it was £300k when we bought in 2010 but probably increased a fair bit since then, despite being in a tower block. Looks brutalist from the outside but it's actually very spacious, we have lovely neighbours and a great community. Two beds but far more space than modern builds, and we just have one DS so it suits us well.

Love being able to walk to work, and making use of London's shopping and amenities without rushing back for a last train!

Goodwordguide Fri 22-Mar-13 08:51:29

Sounds great Iknow - if we had one 1 DC I would definitely try and live right in the centre. I love those Barbican-esque flats.

VinegarDrinker Fri 22-Mar-13 08:53:26

Me and DH want to live in the Barbican when we turf out the kids. Love it there smile . I went to the Barbican playgroup back in the day and graduated there too.

Goodwordguide Fri 22-Mar-13 09:31:30

Would love to 'retire' to the Barbican when the children finally leave home - love wandering round the City at the weekend and the JG Ballard vibe...

mrsH1974 Fri 22-Mar-13 12:46:14

Live in Shepherd's Bush. Pay £40k a year in rent.

We are each individually on the top rung of our anti-social, high-stress-low-satisfaction but therefore well-paid professions.

We are moving out of London because we can't afford to buy in the kind of area we feel comfortable living in.

This is why Lonbdon is fucked: you can only live here if you do so with an inheritance, a tax dodge, or benefits.

Iknowwhatyouredoing Fri 22-Mar-13 12:51:08

We didn't have any of those mrsH1974 smile. Nor are we at the top of our professions (we just do bog-standard jobs really). But I dare say our council estate might be somewhere that a Shepherd's Bush resident might not feel comfortable in. We were a bit unsure about it at first, but we swallowed our prejudices and we've never had any problems living here.

It's not as nice (or expensive) as living in the Barbican either!

VinegarDrinker Fri 22-Mar-13 12:59:58

So all of us on this thread are tax dodgers or have inherited money? Erm, right...

mrsH1974 Fri 22-Mar-13 13:00:56

We are not from London originally, Iknowwhat so admittedly we don't really have a very well developed tolerance level for people pissed and fighty in the middle of the afternoon blush.

It's gutting to be working this hard in a job I don't much like to have to pay £40k a year to live in a very convenient but not especially nice street, with no garden.

Yes, I could afford to buy on a council estate, and perhaps I AM a snob for not wanting to live there. But when you're contibuting six figures to the exchequer each year, there's something disheartening about realising you're paying for your next door neighbours to stay home all day and smoke weed on the doorstep.

HolyMackerel Fri 22-Mar-13 13:01:40

mrsH1974 we didn't have any of those and have a modest income, but we moved from N London (Crouch end area) to SE London to an area where we could afford to buy - it really is not that scary and we are very comfortable here.

If you can afford £40k in rent a year you could buy in a pretty fab area (much trendier than my neck of the woods) in London no problem.

mrsH1974 Fri 22-Mar-13 13:02:12

Vinegar How did you buy your house? When did you buy your house?

HolyMackerel Fri 22-Mar-13 13:05:07

Oh dear, if you are paying 6 figures in tax mrsH you can certainly afford to buy in London. My neighbours are v middle class and have never smoked weed on the doorstep though I smelt something funny in the back garden once

mrsH1974 Fri 22-Mar-13 13:05:47

Holy What you're saying makes a lot of sense but I work unsocial hours (am often at my desk at 6am or still working at 2am because of time differences) so need to live centrally.

Beyond zone 2 you're adding 2 hours a day in commuting and even that's impossible if your working day doesn't end until the last train has long left.

mrsH1974 Fri 22-Mar-13 13:06:41

Six figures combined between us in tax. Individually would be a different story smile.

HolyMackerel Fri 22-Mar-13 13:14:33

It may be the case that you cannot afford to buy very close to wherever you work, in central London, and that is the case for most Londoners. That's not the same as everyone who has managed to buy in London being a tax dodger etc.

We live in zone 3, my DH works in central London, and he has a 30 minute commute door to door.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now