What do you think of my quote for installing wood burner?

(22 Posts)
LadyKooKoo Tue 19-Mar-13 08:50:34

Full 316 liner installation
Chimney backfilled
Cowl fitted
Register plate welded and pinned
Notice plate
Signing off fee
Labour
Total - £1795.00

I think it is pretty reasonable but would be interested to know what others think who have had similar work done.

OhMyNoReally Tue 19-Mar-13 08:54:31

If that's the price of the liner as well I would say it was reasonable.

Hi, we had one fitted a few weeks ago. We don't have a chimney, and quite was about the same and we are oop north! You will love it, they are boiling!

Quote! Aargh

bracken101 Tue 19-Mar-13 09:21:35

Ours cost £800 + VAT to be fitted into a chimney, fully lined etc. South West.

I think that is amazing, I am currently saving up and while I havent had any quotes I was thinking about £3k for fireplC KNOCKING OUT, CHIMNEY LINING AND FITTED. oops sorry for shouting.

LadyKooKoo Tue 19-Mar-13 09:55:04

We currently have an artificial brick fireplace which has been built on to the front of the fireplace so will include the removal of that and he will also lay the tiles we have chosen for the floor. The price is inclusive of VAT. I did think it was reasonable but didn't want to be blinkered by my desire to get rid of the current 80s monstrosity!

Dita, where abouts are you? I will send you his details if not too far.

perrinelli Tue 19-Mar-13 10:29:49

If they are HETAS registered I think that's good. Worth checking though if they would do it any cheaper in the summer, one of the companies we looked at offered 10% off in the summer because they were much quieter then.

poozlepants Tue 19-Mar-13 10:32:19

I think that sounds about right. We paid much the same and we are in Scotland.

LadyKooKoo Tue 19-Mar-13 10:37:33

Yes they are HETAS registered, I found them through CheckaTrade so have seen over 80 reviews and over 50 pictures of work. Interesting suggestion about waiting till Summer but don't think I can handle a long period of time living in the 80s!

sheffield

narmada Tue 19-Mar-13 16:49:16

we just paid 2.6k including VAT or thrreabouts. That was including a multifuel DEFRA approved burner retailing for about 750, knocking out, slate hearth, liner, cowl and labour. Basically wverything bar plastering around the aperture.

narmada Tue 19-Mar-13 17:06:30

in greater London I should have said.....

oh i would love one of there but we live in a detached chimney less new build, we have a has fire that goes to am external walk is it achievable ? our current fire just offers a big draft .

narmada Tue 19-Mar-13 18:20:51

I think you can have a woodburner without a chimney - I think they can poke the liner/ flue thing through a wall at a 45 degree angle, but I could be wrong about that. CHeck with any HETAS-registered engineer, they should be able to tell you.

Pudden Wed 20-Mar-13 09:30:15
HappyJoyful Wed 20-Mar-13 09:36:13

Mine was fitted over 10 years ago - and think it was in region of £1.5k, making your's reasonable.

CaipirinhasAllRound Wed 20-Mar-13 16:18:17

Do you definitely need the chimney lining? We had some people saying we did and some that didn't. We didn't line it in the end and the company that did it just recommended we have it swept every year or so and consider having it lined in a few years (we might have moved by then anyway)

twooter Wed 20-Mar-13 16:23:02

Just Had a quote for £6k, including stove and fitting, with no chimney present, so flue through two floors and roof. And incl vat. I like the sound of your quote.

Mine is similar to one I had two years ago by a different company, so I assume its fair enough for here, given what's involved.

twooter Wed 20-Mar-13 16:24:00

Noyouhave - yes it is possible. That's what we have.

LadyKooKoo Wed 20-Mar-13 18:51:08

Definitely want it lined as i hear that tar can build up and this is our 'forever house'. We are near Birmingham but he is coming from Kidderminster.

georgedawes Wed 20-Mar-13 19:50:20

I would definitely have it lined too, it's safer.

We've been quoted 2k for similar work, but ours includes stone for the hearth so a similar price.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now