Would anyone like to help me make a decision about my bathroom once and for all...

(14 Posts)

OK, I have been deliberating over this for months and just not making a decision. I have visited tile showrooms, talked to the people there and still have not decided so I throw it open to the mumsnet posse smile (I do, however, reserve the right to disregard any advice given smile)

The bathroom is our last room to renovate. We have bought the walk-in shower and glass, the bath, the toilet and sink but I need to decide on flooring and tiles (with fishfingers warning to choose the flooring first ringing in my ears smile)

So, it is a small room. Just enough space for all the items - the shower on one side, the bath on the other, and the sink and toilet on the free wall under the large window. So, the only walls that need painting or tiling are - in the shower, over the bath, the bits around the sink, toilet and over the window.

DH said we should just tile it all. It's easier and then done. He likes light coloured tiles with maybe the smaller tiles in the shower as a 'feature'. While I do quite like this, I am worried 1) it is too bland and 2) it will date.

So, alternatives are:

Different tiles
Tile the shower and paint the rest

The house is a 1970's house so period would look wrong.

Ideas please... (I have spent HOURS online looking at bathrooms and just don't know!) PLEASE HELP ME!

ILikeToClean Fri 15-Mar-13 22:40:27

Use big plain white tiles for shower area, sounds boring but won't date, then paint the rest as you can change that colour easily every few years and depending on what colour you have can accessorise with different colour towels, etc. What sort of flooring will you have?

ILikeBirds Fri 15-Mar-13 22:42:26

I'm not keen on the beige tiles personally and I think that sort of bathroom colour is already starting to get a bit dated.

Would definitely stick with the option to tile it all if it's a small space though

cece Fri 15-Mar-13 22:48:32

I think large shiny white tiles might be the answer. Although we used these in our ensuite recently. DH choose them and I think they are nice. Have them on the floor and wall with some painted bits of wall. They have sparkly bits them so look nice at ngiht.

milkysmum Fri 15-Mar-13 22:48:57

We are in process of re doing out bathroom too- small like yours we are thinking of tiling the whole room. I liked the beige tiles like your DH but my DH thought they were looking a bit dated already and he wants to go down the route of maybe whitee with a contasting vertcal stripe here and there- not sure exactly what tile but will be watching this thread for ideas!!

Thanks. I think I feel the same about those tiles in that I can't bring myself to just buy them...

Not sure about flooring. There is not much floor area so maybe tiles or wood (that is OK for a bathroom).

Today I have decided that I quite like white tiles in the shower (as per ILikeToClean) and www.farrow-ball.com/hague-blue/colours//fcp-product/100030 on the wall above the bath and other areas. Too much? (I am guessing I would need some tiles of some sort a few rows above the bath too in case of splashes...

wendybird77 Sat 16-Mar-13 07:52:55

I love that colour and a white shower. I think if you put down a good laminate wood floor it would look really stunning and won't date as you can always change the colour. I am biased though - I've just put dark grey on my walls with a white metro tiled shower (with grey grout). It is loverly. I'm thinking Hague Blue in our study. Get a tester pot though, it looks different in different light!

cece Sat 16-Mar-13 08:02:07

I would not use laminate on the floor. Especially if you have boys. We put it in our bathroom and after just 3 years it needs replacing. Shudder.

Deux Sat 16-Mar-13 08:16:38

We decided to go for as little tiling as possible so that we would have a scheme that wouldn't date. And also that we could change the look with paint. Initially we just had it all painted an off white.

I chose simple white rectangular tiles and only tiled the areas that would get wet so in the shower enclosure and above the bath. I figured it would be easier to change the paint than the tiles and just think of all those grubby grout lines.

Our cistern is enclosed in a unit, so no tiling around the loo, very easy to clean.

I think the travertine/beige tile thing is on the way out. If you look in any home decor magazines it doesn't seem to be featured now.

We have a vinyl flooring that looks like studded rubber, was very cheap, durable and warm underfoot. Have you looked at Karndean and Amtico?

www.firedearth.com/catalogsearch/result/index/?p=1&q=Architecture&x=0&y=0

This is the tile range we used but didn't set them in a brick formation.

I like your idea of using something like Hague blue on the walls.

Good luck!

tattykitchen Sat 16-Mar-13 08:49:30

Could you tile it all but say to waist height (and all through the shower enclosure of course)?
How about dark tiles, if you like the Hague Blue colour?
These would look good in a modern ish house
www.mrs-stone-store.com/product/?pid=ZSL201&product=special-wall-brazilian-black-riven-slate-600x300x4-7

www.harveymaria.co.uk/Floor-Range/Colour_4
What I am going to do when I do the loft conversion shower is funky floor. Will use a chequerboard multicoloured mix of these vinyl floor tiles. Then I will get big (but inexpensive) white rectangular tiles (c30*60) laid in a brick pattern. I personally prefer all tiles but you could leave some wall to paint. I will then pick out a/some colour(s) from the fllor to accessorise. (Or paint walls with).

HowAnnoying Sat 16-Mar-13 09:27:09

I prefer less tiling, in our bathroom we've used dark grey tiles on the floor, matt white tiles with a marble mosaic up the middle on the shower, bath and basin.

In our ensuites a we've gone for these on the floor, and these in shower and above basin.

notcitrus Sat 16-Mar-13 09:42:17

Very happy with Amtico tiles on floor in our bathroom and rented-out showerroom. The shower room was long and gloomy so we used blue glittery floor tiles and white walls which really perked it up.

Finally decided to have wood wall panelling to waist height in loft bathroom, but I don't think that would be practical in the small family bathroom with a lot of splashing, small boys weeing, etc.

cece Sat 16-Mar-13 10:31:36

I like this effect

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now