How would you hang a really, really heavy mirror...please advise

(8 Posts)

redpickle have found on ebay and amazon..... Wow. Perfect! Perfect! Perfect!. I luffs Mumsnet. I luffs you! And thank you everyone else too. flowers

DH v happy too. Well, mildly impressed. Grumpy bugger grin

redpickle Fri 15-Mar-13 21:34:18

We hung our oversized, massive mirror in plasterboard with a hangman mirror hanger (sorry don't know how to link). Absolutly brilliant, so easy and even has an in-build spirit level.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Oh we would use rawlplugs whatever method used.

StrawberryMojito Fri 15-Mar-13 20:50:23

Rawl plugs?

However probably best to go with the professional advice you've been given.

So, we have a brick chimney breast. We have an 'normous, heavy, rustic-y mirror to hand above the mantle-piece. Think chunky and although DH could carry it the 1/2 mile from the market to the car when we bought it several years ago there were lots of grumbles and groans. When we hung it in our last house it was just about liftable on my own to hang but really, really tough. I only tried once.

So. Now to hang in new home. I have had 3 bits of advice:
1) Builder says to put a batten on the wall and then screw in wooden batten. This is how it was hung in our old house (but that was hanging on a cardboard plasterboard wall so no other sensible way to hang it).
2) Have spoken to my extremely able DIY Dad. He says just a size 10 screw should do the job. Is a brick chimney and near enough 2.5 inches of screw in the wall will be ample (He gave me his normal 10 minute advice line too...round headed screw, check the strenght of cord etc etc)
3)DH who is totally DIY incompetent (once drilled through an entire door to put a dressing-gown robe hook on it - didn't realise it was a hollow door and just kept pushing/drilling) - he thinks just screws would do but maybe we should but a couple in to be sure.

So which route would you lovely people take? How shall I hang my bloody mirror desperate not to have bare walls any longer ?

Thank you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now