Subsidence - should I be worried?

(7 Posts)
cq Fri 15-Mar-13 17:59:25

Have had an offer accepted on a lovely house, all legal processes etc slowly grinding away.Today the solicitor has forwarded details of work done in 2009 to repair subsidence caused by clay shrinkage. Apart from repairs to cracks & re-rendering, the only other work recommended was crown felling and thinning of some large trees, which was done.

We are having a full structural survey done on Monday. Could this be a deal-breaker? Trying v hard not to panic.

Anyone else had any experience of this? House is not old, about 30 yrs or so.

herhonesty Fri 15-Mar-13 18:11:11

Not necessarily a deal breaker but you will have to tell insurers or stick with Sam insurer which may make premiums and or excess high.

2kidsintow Fri 15-Mar-13 20:35:13

Our house has had work done on it to remedy the fact that there was a bit of land movement.

We can not get insured.
By anyone.

Unless we are prepared to pay £400+ for insurance every year.

Sillyoldbagpus Fri 15-Mar-13 23:59:56

I probably will give a biased viewpoint because we pulled out if our dream property due to suspected subsidence. We live in an area where very few properties come onto the market, it really was a once in a lifetime property. However, for us that was always going to be a deal breaker. We just could not risk our financial future on a property which may turn put to be a money pit and be potentially be unsellable . We were the second, possibly third party to pull out of a sale in the past few years. Despite this, it had sold since and very quickly. So I suppose it really depends in how much you are willing to risk for your dream home. You do have to consider that more people will be put off by the history subsidence.

TheRealFellatio Sat 16-Mar-13 00:05:09

We had this with a house we bought. It will be difficult (or impossible) to get insurance and you MUST make sure that you stick with the insurer who insured it when the movement was discovered and repaired. Apparently they cannot refuse to re-insure that house. I was dreading the premiums but they turned out to be cheaper than the premiums on our previous, much less expensive house with no subsidence! confused

MrsJREwing Sat 16-Mar-13 10:16:09

Subsidance would not put me off, IF, the tree's were removed and IF the house was underpinned.

Elansofar Sat 16-Mar-13 18:39:36

Agree with previous post. You will still have more expensive build ins premiums though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now