ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

Inexpensive accessories to make you home more appealing to buyers

(22 Posts)
Mendi Fri 15-Mar-13 22:09:35

MrsH1974, I am already pricing £10k below the other 3 properties of my type on the market so just trying to get the best chance...

nilbyname Fri 15-Mar-13 18:49:38

mrsh I take your point, but there is a "science" of when you get people through the door there are lots you can do to influence them.

smells you can put a couple of drops of essential oil on a cotton ball and stuff them behind radiators for a nice smell.

Turniphead1 Fri 15-Mar-13 18:48:50

Ignore re clutter. I see you have de cluttered.

jammybean Fri 15-Mar-13 18:48:42

I'm sorry but I agree with mrsH. I don't care for freshly baked cookies or bread or well places home accessories. Most savvy buyers won't care IMHO. After nearly a year of house hunting the homes that stood out were ones that ticked the most boxes. And then the ones where the vendor had made zero effort, untidy, dirty clothes strewn around with wet dog smell permeating the entire house etc.

Turniphead1 Fri 15-Mar-13 18:47:10

I put tumble drier sheets in behind the radiators. It makes for a gentle clean clothes smell that is much more subtle than air freshners/ candles.

Buy cheap white storage boxes from Ikea and throw all your crap in them. Clear all surfaces of clutter. But don't have cupboards that are stuffed with clutter.

mrsH1974 Fri 15-Mar-13 18:34:24

I'm hoping to move at the moment and I'm afraid I couldn't give a toss about "lifestyle" accessories.

The only things that bother me are the location and orientation, whether the house is clean and well maintained, and how the price compares to historical sales.

There are four houses on the market I've got my eye on, and all of them have been on the market dressed up to the nines since October when I started looking. I'm obviously not the only person who thinks Hector lights and Bougie lamps don't add 15% to the asking price.

nilbyname Fri 15-Mar-13 18:27:13

Also take a look on Pinterest for ideas

betterwhenthesunshines Fri 15-Mar-13 18:19:19

You could put the lamps on timer plugs if you having viewings booked, but you won't be there t o turn them on.

I havea friend who does this anyway in the winter so she comes home to a welcoming house!

Poppyseed3333 Fri 15-Mar-13 17:54:17

I think a few family photos, nice flowers, a scented candle but not too strong.

fussychica Fri 15-Mar-13 17:20:32

Not much puts us off to be honest but the overwhelming intense smell of pee from the 6 or more cats (and I love cats) was too horrible to continue the viewingshock.
Really clean & tidy would be nice but when we bought our present home I think we only viewed one property I'd put in that class and it wasn't this one!

MrsJamin Fri 15-Mar-13 17:04:59

We had an unused bottle of champagne put on a shelf right at eye height with some nice glasses. I think it alluded to a good lifestyle! Also had a nice new pot plant with lots of flowers (cheaper than fresh flowers every week if you are having viewings for a while), and a bowl of fresh fruit. Open the windows for a good while, then close them and put the heating on to make sure it is warm but fresh. We had an offer within 10 days of going on rightmove. [smug]

tattykitchen Fri 15-Mar-13 17:04:20

Mendi do ask the EA to put table lamps on before viewings, that makes a huge difference.

nilbyname Fri 15-Mar-13 17:02:47

Ha! Yes I know but I have a young family so was totally rocking the wholesome yummy mummy vibe!

Mendi Fri 15-Mar-13 16:47:15

Love the idea of creating nice baking smells but unfortunately I work f/t so will not be there for viewings on weekdays (which I assume is most viewings).

Which also means I won't be able to turn lights on etc. Not much I can do about that though I suppose.

tattykitchen Fri 15-Mar-13 16:35:52

I agree re fresh flowers, table lamps and fruit though not in a steel wire one, a proper fruit bowl looks nicer IMO.
Cookies do smell great when cooking but it might seem it bit contrived, though it celarly worked for nilby....

nilbyname Fri 15-Mar-13 16:22:05

I made cookies in the oven each time people viewed my house. 4 viewings and 2 offers in a flat market!

Goodwordguide Fri 15-Mar-13 16:03:14

Fresh fruit is good - colourful and appealing. Definitely lots of fresh flowers, I put daffodils everywhere, they brighten up every room.

Off-centre lighting looks less stark than a central light and makes the room look bigger.

Mendi Fri 15-Mar-13 15:51:02

Thanks. Am going to get a new table lamp for the hall to help initial impression. Fresh flowers a good idea too.

How do we feel about those arty sort of fruit bowls - like stainless steel wire ones with all apples, or all lemons, in?

wonkylegs Fri 15-Mar-13 15:45:16

I always have flowers in the house because they cheer rooms up. Don't pick anything with too strong a smell as it might put people off. This time of year daffodils are cheap & bright.

I think lighting can be important, especially if you're having viewings on dull days or in the evenings - just one light hanging from the ceiling can be a bit stark, but a lamp in the right place can take away the shadows and make it a bit warmer.

jammybean Fri 15-Mar-13 15:38:00

Not sure removing all personal photos makes your house more appealing. I tend to find houses without personal photos feel a little sterile.

I think so long as you're using each room for its intended purpose. Ie. a dining room as a dinning room. IMO a clean, tidy house will pretty much sell itself. I look past furniture, accesories and decor because I'll ultimately change things when I move in.

Mendi Fri 15-Mar-13 14:53:35

They say people don't buy a home, they buy the idea of the lifestyle they could have if they lived in that home.

I've decluttered. I've painted. I've removed all the personal photos. Now, I want to add a few touches that will give my house that "perfect lifestyle" look.

Any thoughts?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now