Woking in Woking / London

(15 Posts)
annh Mon 18-Mar-13 14:18:16

Do be careful with catchment areas if you decide to move in Woking/West Byfleet area as there is a real shortage of school places. Several schools in woking have received permission to add an extra form and the Catholic school in West Byfleet is trying to move from 1.5 to 2 form entry as well. Surrey CC already know that this will still not be enough to accommodate all the extra places they need in coming years.

PastaBeeandCheese Mon 18-Mar-13 13:04:55

Thanks Poppywearer. That's a kind offer and it's good to know new nurseries are appearing. DH is going to talk to a friend who works for the company tonight and then we will make a decision. Will be very sad to leave her current nursery as she loves it there but I dare say the nursery guinea pig will breath a sigh of relief.

PoppyWearer Mon 18-Mar-13 09:37:02

Regarding nursery place, there have been some new ones opening up, so don't assume there will be a wait! It depends if you want a private nursery or school-affiliated of course. I can give some recommendations on PM if needed!

PastaBeeandCheese Mon 18-Mar-13 09:14:00

Really surprised at the number of faith schools in Surrey. We're not Catholic. Practising CoE so happy with a faith school but it seems that the faith schools are so over subscribed they don't go far enough down the criteria to allow children of other faiths.

DD is so young though that things could change quickly. Priority is primary and as we will be renting initially we can find our feet and get a feel for the area.

I think the bigger issue will be a nursery. It occurred to me last night that I put her on the list at 6 weeks old to start at 1 year.... There's very little chance she will get a place at a good nursery with no real notice. May have to look into a nanny / me and her staying in Essex with family on the 3 days I'm working until she can get a place.

I guess it's all doable if we decide it's what we want. I know it's what DH wants......!

PoppyWearer Sun 17-Mar-13 22:20:00

Guildford is lovely but as others have said, Woking/West Byfleet have the better commute.

Great primaries all over the place. The one in Pyrford (next to West Byfleet) just got "Outstanding". Up-and-coming secondaries.

Thinking outside the Woking box but still commutable....West Byfleet, Weybridge, Addlestone, Chertsey. Egham and Staines not too far from Woking either, and better value-for-money for property.

Mendi Sun 17-Mar-13 22:12:22

I'm thinking of WokingHigh and Winston Churchill, as tend to assume most people are not Catholic. I know parents of kids at both the former and both sound appalling. Recent thread on both was very illuminating but came down on the side of both schools being not very good (most positive posters) to shocking (the majority).

Artyjools Sun 17-Mar-13 21:03:08

Mendi, there are some good secondary schools in Woking, so I don't know where you are getting your information from. Yes, George Abbott in Guildford is a good school, but there is a good catholic secondary in Woking, if that's your thing, and Fullbrook, where I have one child, and where the others will be going, is on the up. I'm really happy with it.

OP - we looked at Guildford & Woking but plumped for Woking in the end. Yes, the shopping is better in Guildford, but it's a short drive there. The commute is much better from Woking - faster and you will get a seat. I get on at West Byfleet, and it's a breeze. I understand it's a bit of a morning crush from Guildford.

PastaBeeandCheese Sun 17-Mar-13 10:05:31

Thanks Mendi. That is all so helpful. We had a good talk about it last night and you are right, we are best off moving to Surrey so DH has a minimal commute. He works long hours so cutting his travel time is sensible.

In terms of my commute Guildford is less than my current commute to Manchester so that's attractive for me.

We've also realised Guildford is 30 minutes from DH's sister who I am very close to so that's a major plus.

In terms of house prices I'm pleasantly surprised especially as we are happy with 3 decent sized bedrooms.

DH is looking at another job in Kent too so not decided on Woking but I think he's only looking at Kent as I moan about being closer to my sisters in Essex!

Thank again for your advice.

Mendi Sun 17-Mar-13 09:04:34

In your situation I would definitely look to settle around Woking /Guildford area. Woking is a faster commute into London but Guildford a nicer town. Guildford commute is about 40 mins (plus getting to the station etc).

Woking secondary schools are pretty bad (there is a recent thread on this) but Guildford is good for both primary and secondary. Best secondaries are George Abbot (in Burpham), Guildford County (on Farnham Road) and Rodborough (Witley, near Godalming). There are good primaries in Merrow/Burpham - that's the best place to see you through educationally.

Property is expensive and if you want 4 bedrooms than £400k will be tight (allowing for SDLT) but if you can do with 3 then you'll have more choice.

Good luck!

PastaBeeandCheese Sat 16-Mar-13 22:35:59

X post! Definitely just a nice to have. We've been away for 10 years and are used to having no family to help with childcare. I guess I just thought if we're moving it'd be good to be closer but the reality is we will be much, much closer than we currently are regardless of where we live.

PastaBeeandCheese Sat 16-Mar-13 22:34:00

Thanks mendi I think DH is thinking that because he works long hours he'd miss the worse of the traffic but I think he's forgotten just how bad the traffic is in the SE.

Guildford looks like a quick commute into London for me which would be good although I only do 3 days a week so I'm not overly worried about my commute.

In terms of village or town we don't mind and would go for best catchment we could afford as I don't think we can afford private.

We will rent to start with while we sell our place so we will get the chance to test it all out before committing thankfully.

Mendi Sat 16-Mar-13 22:19:27

The trouble is that Essex is on the opposite side of the M25 to Woking. Do you need to be near family for childcare? Or is it more of a 'nice to have'? Wouldn't it have more of an impact on your quality of life to be closer to your DH's work so he has a shorter commute?

You could consider Reigate, not too far from Woking but that bit closer to Essex. V gd for families, lovely countryside. Slightly crap train service though if you need to go in and out of central London a lot.

Mendi Sat 16-Mar-13 22:15:05

Tunbridge Wells to Woking is not do-able as a commute.

I used to live in TW. Now I work in Guildford (near Woking). To go TW to Woking you'd be going half way round the M25 then on the A3 - both very busy in rush hour. Don't even consider it.

There are lots of lovely places to live around Woking and Guildford though. Do you want a village or town setting?

PastaBeeandCheese Fri 15-Mar-13 11:12:53

Oh, DD is only 16mo so she wouldn't be changing schools if that makes a difference?

PastaBeeandCheese Fri 15-Mar-13 11:12:02

Hoping for some views.... DH is considering a job in Woking. My company are amenable to me transferring to an office around the St James area.

We currently live in the North West but are both originally from Essex with all our family still there.

We were wondering about Tunbridge Wells as a good mid point as we want somewhere with good schools that isn't too far from Woking, London or Essex.

We'd have about £400k to spend on a house which is top end of the market where we currently live. We know we are in for
a massive downsize but it would be nice to soften the blow if there is somewhere cheaper than TW that seems to offer good schools and is commutable without going away from Essex.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now