Walthamstow vs Leytonstone

(31 Posts)
Pinkpumpkins Thu 14-Mar-13 18:03:28

Hi,

DH are looking to buy a 3-bed house in either Leytonstone or Walthamstow but are unsure as to which area is better. Both are well connected, but housing stock in Leytonstone seems to have the edge. The estate agent in e17 told us that loads of people "like us" (whatever that means!) are moving from Stoke Newington to Walthamstow.

We'd be interested to hear from people, especially new mums, who live in both areas as I'm due in 6months.

Thanks in advance!

greenbrazil Tue 11-Jun-13 06:54:03

Hi all, it's a difficult choice and I can see both sides. We moved to Walthamstow a year ago and really love it. I would say that the E17 Art Trail is the heart of the community here and if you're involved in that you will soon find yourself with a lot of friends, also there's an Walthamstow, who are fun and friendly if you are - they don't suffer Walthamstow snobs gladly however! We wanted to move to the Village but couldn't afford it - prices have rocketed there in previous years, so we settled in Wood Street area - we personally really like it. The street itself is full of very useful shops - we actually managed to refurbish our house using the shops on our doorstop including diy, plumbing, kitchen etc - it's also having quite a lot of regen in the area, so lots of community events, shop facelifts etc - www.e17woodstreet.co.uk - I have friends in Leytonstone, who like it but they end up coming to events and restaurants in Walthamstow more than we go to Leytonstone. There is a new new pub in Leytonstone The Red Lion which seems to have brought all the young trendies out there!

Rickeee Tue 16-Jul-13 17:33:44

Walthamstow is a sorry place. The sight of soiled beddings and mattresses lining the streets on my way to work disgust me, but I am probably a snob. I would never abandon my discarded bathroom furniture (including that old toilet) on a street corner, but then again I am probably an elitist. Lost toilets and soiled beddings are regular on the Stow’s pavements. In short, if you expect standards (of any kind, even modest ones) Walthamstow is not the place for you.
Have a look at these sites:
https://www.facebook.com/WalthamstowTouristBoard
http://www.flickr.com/photos/vibrantwalthamstow/
I cannot comment on Leytonstone as I do not live there.

mercoledi Sun 28-Dec-14 10:13:01

Hi, still anyone here? We are looking to move in walthamstow or Leytonstone but not sure about the area! we love the Village but house prize are too high. Anyone can advice on the area? We are moving from Stokkie sad and we are expecting a little girl in April. Thanks!

ItIsntReallyReal Sun 28-Dec-14 22:17:24

I got out of Walthsmstow two years ago, it's not nice. It's gritty and urban. A mural and three nice eateries do not make gentrification. When I go back I find it grubby. The council are corrupt and will build high density housing on any bit of land they can find. The primary schools are ok, but the secondaries are grim. I lived their for 14 years. I saw it change from working class, to scummy, to overpriced in that time.

Try to buy in Redbridge rather than WF. Much better schools and lower crime rates. Wanstead, South Woodford and even North Ilford are much nicer.

If I had to choose I'd pick Upper Leytonstone over Walthamstow.

mercoledi Tue 30-Dec-14 10:31:19

Ok, we are trying to avoid the very busy part of W ... So looking over wood street and up forest rd, close to the forest. Is there any nice? Not sure where upper leytonstone is... You mean the area neAr epping forest ? As you know very well the area hope you dont mind the lot of questions

ItIsntReallyReal Tue 30-Dec-14 15:17:10

The transport links are not so good up at the top of Forest Road. I never thought Wood Street that nice, and too far from the tube.

There are a few streets near Blackhorse Lane, Shakespeare, Goldsmith, Clarence where you may get a bargain as it's not 'fashionable, or the streets off Forest Road before the junction with Higham Hill/Palmerston Road such as Pasquier and Roma. Hillyfield Primary is ok and you'd be in catchment. Avoid anything too close to Priory Court.

If you a due a baby soon Madeline who runs the local NCT does a Baby Sensory group which is good.

Bushwood in Leytonstone is desirable. But I don't know much about it. I'm sure some Leytonstone people will be able to advise.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now