Wool or man made carpets?

(12 Posts)
25BeautifulGnomes Thu 14-Mar-13 15:31:19

What is the general consensus on the best type of carpet?

I'd like to get new carpets fitted in all the bedrooms but keep hearing conflicting things about the best type of carpet re: cleaning/general wear and tear etc, can anyone enlighten me please?

Also, any advice on whether to go with a large carpet shop or an independent place ?

Thanks

lolalotta Thu 14-Mar-13 18:49:16

I would like to know the answer to this too! My friend had a wool carpet and wool moths ate into it!!! shock

Karbea Thu 14-Mar-13 18:54:12

I was told years ago wool mix is best, this might be helpful.

7to25 Thu 14-Mar-13 19:28:44

I think 80/20 is considered the best. My friend has 100% wool and I cannot tell the difference but she has problems with wear.
I would get a chain to quote and then an independent to undercut them.
Here, in Glasgow, I know where I will get the best price and it is an independent.

Tertius Thu 14-Mar-13 22:41:12

We just bought 100 percent wool because the synthetic mixes looked kind of shiny. I did want a mix though! Wool does get moths and also stains. Altho the carpet people were convinced wool is easy to clean/ wash etc.

We chose the local independent, they were competitive with price, reliable and it's nice to support community business if you can, I think. Why not go to John Lewis and get a quote. We did that first, the indep was just as cheap and similar look.

tugamommy Fri 15-Mar-13 09:37:11

We're also debating this. I've just asked advice from the carpet shop where we'll probably get it from and were told that problems with moths are really rare now and wool is more durable, more confortable and cleans just as well.

We're thinking about one similar to this.

Tertius Fri 15-Mar-13 11:56:53

Moths are not rare! We are always fighting them off. But I think they only eat carpets which are left dirty and in dark corners. If you Hoover and Live in your home, it should be fine.

I Have probs with stored woolen clothes and blankets etc. My parents had such an infestation they had to throw ALL their vintage rugs out. But they live in a corner of a huge house and neglected the rooms.

RooneyMara Fri 15-Mar-13 12:00:37

In my experience, synthetic carpets don't wear very well, and look flattened and ugly quickly - but a good one might not.

Moths don't eat synthetic carpet which is a bonus.

Wool DOES clean really well, we have large old Indian rugs and though they get a few moths under the edges where the sofas are, I hoover them once in a while and spray there to help prevent it. Every time something spills on them it just wipes off - it's amazing.

So it's up to you - bit of both I'd say.

25BeautifulGnomes Sat 16-Mar-13 12:22:34

Thanks everyone for the advice!

Potterer Sat 16-Mar-13 16:07:33

My Dad's first job was in a carpet factory! He always tells me 80/20, and having had both 80/20 and polyprop I would always go for 80/20 as it cleans easier (I had 2 reflux babies so did a lot of vaxing)

Agree on finding a local independent.

PigletJohn Sat 16-Mar-13 17:07:21

another bid for 80/20 wool/nylon

a woven carpet, Wilton for plain, Axminster for patterned

better ones will have a denser pile so will be heavier (as well as more expensive)

Polyproplene does flatten more, but is incredibly stain-resistant and stands up to forceful cleaning (you can even bleach it). Very suitablefor DC bedrooms or garden rooms where ease of cleaning is very important. It looks and feels OK if you get a Heather Twist which is a mottled look with a sturdy crimped pile.

avoid tufted, and especially rubber-backed carpets unless cost is the biggest problem.

Follyfoot Sat 16-Mar-13 17:10:20

Yes to 80/20 here too. Lasts well, looks and feels nice. I'd buy the best underlay I could afford too, that makes a huge difference.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now