Extend or not - that is the question?(13 Posts)
Thank you yes I think that's prob the next logical step, I will call a couple of local companies for a chat.
Why don't you get I'm quotes from builders? That might make it all a bit clearer for you. It's lovely that you like where you live and have lovely neighbours. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Suspect that when alls said and done we will just do up the kitchen a bit. Now we have children it's harder to take risks especially with big things like our home.
LittleFrieda - we have looked at other houses in this area but there is very little available at the moment and nothing that we wouldn't want to make structural changes to anyway.
We live on a really nice estate within easy reach of schools etc and our neighbours are lovely.
We don't 'need' the extra space, we could carry on as we are. It's just that having opened the can of worms it is really hard put the lid on it. Whenever we have moved in the past we have has to stretch ourselves financially to have what we want and now it's the decision whether or not to do it again or just say its big enough and though we would like to change it be sensible and stay as is.
Lavenders blue - have you checked to see if you could 'buy' the extra space you need more cheaply by moving house? It sounds as though you've thought it through. But it's often difficult to heat a large open plan space without underfloor heating as there are too few walls on which to place radiators (especially in the kitchen bit as the units normally use the wall).
We think the actual extension would cost £40k then kitchen and flooring etc. Friend said plan £50-55 but ensure £60 available incase if problems. We have same flooring throughout so would reuse that (vinyl planks) and just buy enough to do extra bit.
Not sure about reusing windows and doors, would be quite happy to but building regs have changed some they were fitted. Need lots if glass at back as north facing so quite dark if not.
Boiler is 10 yrs old and currently working fine, always serviced every year.
Underfloor heating would be great but could only have fitted to new part so only half the space. Might be strange to be in same room but only half floor heated. If we fitted electric then we could do whole floor but running costs much higher.
The kitchen would be much bigger with a lot more units but doesn't need to be amazing. Am happy with laminate work tops etc.
we would relay the existing patio so no prob there. I would love a wall of sliding doors but not vital if they're too expensive.
The wood burner would be quite simple to install and because of the distance from the house apparently a steel flue to just above single storey height would be ok.
We do have a small study/den at from of the house which is the older DC tv and computer room so not so concerned about shutting space off though there would be the option of creating a 'grown up' lounge at the front too if we replaced a wall.
I guess we need to speak to an estate agent re values, just don't like to waste their time. We haven't been too worried about this aspect really as its more about making the house suit us and the way we live for the foreseeable future as we won't move for at least 20 yrs unless we had to for DH job.
Thank you for all the points though, it's all stuff we need to consider.
8m x 4m extension with roof lights and a long folding wall of doors: 45K
Kitchen: 10K (but could be a lot more)
Flooring throughout old room and new: £2,500
Wood burning stove and flue-ing arrangement: £1,500
Would your existing boiler cope with the increased btu demand?
Hmmm. Not sure it makes sense to do an extension that does not add its entire value, especially as you are mortgaging for the entire amount.
In your OP you say the work will cost £60k, then in the next post it has been dramatically reduced.
Also you would be losing quite a bit of garden, how much will remain. You will need to lay a new patio.
If money didn't come into it then I would say yes - go for it. But if DH is already concerned then I would stick with what I have.
If you do decide you want to do it - could you scale back the costs ? Reuse existing windows and doors, reuse some of the existing kitchen ?
If you do go for it the woodburner would most likely heat it well enough (ours keeps most of the house warm). Do you need all those north facing windows (how open is it to the north ? Cold Fen winds are best avoided !).
Hmm. I would divide that area in two. How old are your kids? Having separate areas for a den/study etc when children are older/teenagers is invaluable. Otherwise it could be a bit of a barn.
Also if DH has to earn the money and is stressing already then I really think you should take that into account.
LittleFrieda we're near Ely in Cambs. House currently worth around £300-320k and extending would increase by around £30-40k we think but make it really sellable if we wanted to. Extension would cost approx £50-55k depending on finish and kitchen etc. It's difficult to accurately say what final value would be though as nothing truly comparable though 5 beds with less living space are fetching near £400k and some larger 4 beds already around the £350k mark.
Where, geographically, are you? What's the current value (ish) of your house and what will the extension a) cost and b) add to your home's value?
Having been through the saga of possible relocation to Devon last year and deciding that actually we like where we are and it suits us better, we are now trying to decide whether or not to just do up our existing kitchen or extend.
We have a mostly open plan downstairs. The kitchen opens onto a dining area and then a living area at the front. It's L-shaped and has a large window and two sets of French doors out to the garden.
An architect friend has said that we could add an almost full width extension (8mx4m) to the back which would give us a much larger kitchen etc. We could also have things like roof lights and a wood burner (long held dream).
Our main concerns are; can you have too much downstairs space (4 double bedrooms/ 6 people currently), how would we heat such a vast area efficiently (would be approx 36ft x 29ft at widest points) with lots of glass north facing, and lastly are we stupid to consider adding £60k to our already large mortgage?
Any advice or thoughts gratefully received as now it's causing heated discussion. DH worries about being solely responsible for mortgage of £220k but for various reasons working just not an option for me at the mo (has been looked at extensively and we are agreed on this) but is quite keen to proceed. I love the idea but don't want to be rowing about it in the future if money gets tighter.
Thank you for reading my epic post. I know we are lucky to even have the chance to consider it and just want to make a sensible decision.
Join the discussion
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.Register now
Already registered with Mumsnet? Log in to leave your comment or alternatively, sign in with Facebook or Google.
Please login first.