TRV advice - good quality and aesthetics?

(6 Posts)
Deux Wed 13-Mar-13 20:33:26

I need to replace some TRVs.

Currently have Drayton TRV4s and I really loathe the look of them.

I dislike the red and black section.

Virtually everyone I speak to praises these valves and has tried to put me off other brands claiming them to be 'plasticky', stick easily etc. But these ones are horrible!

So what can you recommend that is not ££££££££££. My budget is similar to the cost of the Drayton TRV4s.

Is Danfoss any good? Honeywell?

Also, does anyone know the answer to this - should the radiator that is in the room where the stat/programmer have a TRV or not?

tattykitchen Wed 13-Mar-13 20:59:48

I have used Danfoss TRVs and they looked good and worked well, not cheap though...

Cant remember about the TRV and room stat, have a feeling that you dont have one but not sure.

PigletJohn Thu 14-Mar-13 10:19:28

Danfoss RAS C2 I like.

The room with the wall stat should hsve no TRV.

if you are getting a new room stat, go for a programmable one. The Honeywell is considered good.

I don't like wireless stats as they have an additional layer of potential failure.

Deux Thu 14-Mar-13 18:29:27

Many thanks. I like those Danfoss ones and have also seen a Siemens one.

Piglet, we've had a new boiler installed and had a wired programmable stat fitted. It's great but the user instructions weren't exactly user friendly. Got it sorted in the end.

Had a Drayton wireless stat before and it malfunctioned after only 2 years. Replaced with Honeywell one which was great but decided to go wired with new boiler.

The stat is in the hall, so on that rad am I right in thinking I need a wheel head valve and a lockshield?

PigletJohn Thu 14-Mar-13 22:31:23

two lockshields would be more normal. You don't want anyone turning it off, ever.

the Danfoss matching lockshield is very tiny and neat, you set it with a special tool (supplied) which I recommend tying on a bit of string and hanging on the bracket behind the rad.

If you're dumping Drayton TRV4s, which were the best on the market for many years, don't go for anything inferior. IMO the RAS C2 is the only one better. There is also a D2 at twice the price which is probably just as good.

Deux Tue 16-Apr-13 18:27:13

Piglet, just thought I'd update you.

I've had the RAS C2s fitted and one D2 on a fancy rad.

So far so good and I love the look of them too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now