How much to 'crane' something over your house?

(11 Posts)
Fawole12 Tue 16-Jul-13 14:47:19

Hi,
I want to move a static 3.5 tonnes caravan into my garden from the road can you help or have you any information on how to go about it?

threeladdies Tue 28-May-13 20:30:42

I wonder if you could help me ALLIWant. We need a static caravan lifting over a bungalow into the back garden. We live in a close with only 5 bungalows so there wouldn't need to be any road closures. We are near Portsmouth in the south. Do you know of any companies who could help?

marinaaquamarina Sat 09-Mar-13 09:49:59

Thanks ALLIWant - pmed you smile

AllIWant85 Fri 08-Mar-13 22:19:37

You'd be surprised, they aren't huge as they travel down the roads. The company would check out all road closures etc for you. If you are SE London there are a couple of big crane firms near you that would do a site visit free of charge. Pm me if you'd like company names or if you pm your postcode my DH could probably give you a fairly good idea of what size crane, if you'd need road closures etc by looking on Google maps.

marinaaquamarina Fri 08-Mar-13 19:16:24

Brilliant!!!grin

Thank you so much AllIWant - we're probably too far from you - SE London way - but that sounds feasible for what I had in mind.

The plan would be to lift a small caravan (not a mobile home) over a two storey house from suburban street - don't know about need for road closure.

Would the company check that out beforehand? There's a layby near the front of the house - but I have no idea how big the crane would be/space needed .... huge I guess confused

AllIWant85 Fri 08-Mar-13 12:19:00

My DH runs a mobile crane depot. If you look at a static caravan going over an average height house without access issues ie road closures, overhead cables, etc it would be somewhere between £650-£1000. You'd struggle to get a hiab to be able to lift the weight at a far enough radius.

You'd be paying for the crane, the driver, a supervisor, a technical rep etc etc.

Alternatively, if you're local to me (SW) my DH will come and do it for £200 and a bacon sarnie!! wink

marinaaquamarina Fri 08-Mar-13 07:31:09

I watch TV and I think every second house has something craned over the roof wink - clearly it's rarer than I thought!

deliakate Thu 07-Mar-13 19:37:36

Not sure, but what about flat-pack stuff that the manufacturer comes and puts up for you?

OneHundredSecondsofSolitude Thu 07-Mar-13 19:20:54

No idea but I'm interested!
I'd like a gypsy caravan

When I won the lottery

Anifrangapani Thu 07-Mar-13 19:20:25

Depends on the weight of the thing being lifted, height of property it is going over, if a road closure is required.
A small hiab is quite cheap but a sectional crane very expensive.

marinaaquamarina Thu 07-Mar-13 18:00:00

Thinking of having a small rigid building/or caravan put in the back garden but we don't have wide enough access.

They're always cring stuff about on Grand designs and George Clarke's TV shows - have you ever had it done?

Any idea how much it would cost and what limitations there are in terms of how far the item can be swung from front to back - street to back garden?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now